[REVIEW] 8036 Separatists Shuttle

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poor
14%
Average
79%
Excellent
7%

Total votes: 14

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] 8036 Separatists Shuttle

Post by DrBeaker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Indexed

I was at Walmart this weekend looking for deals, but the only SW Lego left on the shelf was 8036 Separatists Shuttle. It looked so lonely that I picked it up and thought I would try my first review.

Details

Pieces = 259
Retail MSRP: $29.99
Price per piece = 11.5 cents
Minifigures = 5

The Box

The box is fairly consistent with the rest of the SW Clone Wars line. Here's the front showing the shuttle swooshing along.

The back shows Nute & droids, presumably in negotiations with Onaconda.

Inside the box we find four bags, one instruction book and one dreaded sticker sheet.

The minifigures are part of the draw of this set. We get two exclusives (Nute & Onaconda), one fairly rare blue pilot droid and two regular battle droids

Both Nute and Onaconda have some simple screening on the front of the torsos and nothing on the back of the torsos. Nute's hat is. . . large but captures the look and feel of his character from the animated series. Onaconda's head is nicely molded with good detail.

The build was quick but remained interesting with very little repetition. The finished ship is shown here:

The cockpit is a little disappointing. It is small and without any computer or navigation controls.

The rear of the shuttle opens on some nifty hidden gears and has a removable seat that fits snugly in the compartment.

PRO's

Five minifigures, two of which are exclusive to this set
Nice design that is accurate to the animated series
Good swooshability of the final shuttle

CON's

Price. At almost $30, it is very pricey per piece, especially considering the number of droids they included to up the piece count.
Size of the shuttle. I'd have liked to to be able to hold more than one pilot droid and Nute.
Lack of detail in the cockpit. Anything would have helped here to make it feel a little more functional.

Final Verdict

I would recommend this set at full retail price to only serious SW Clone Wars collectors. If you get find it on sale, it is lot of fun.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW] 8036 Separatists Shuttle

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for the review! I'm glad people are getting engaged here. :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the review DrBeaker! Front Paged.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Nute and Onaconda are now in magnets but I think its an easy way to get some droids and a pilot. The shuttle could use some details. Good review. How much did you pick it up for?

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

starwarsgeek wrote:Nute and Onaconda are now in magnets but I think its an easy way to get some droids and a pilot. The shuttle could use some details. Good review. How much did you pick it up for?
I paid full retail :? My impulse control could use some improvement!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 am

DrBeaker wrote:
starwarsgeek wrote:Nute and Onaconda are now in magnets but I think its an easy way to get some droids and a pilot. The shuttle could use some details. Good review. How much did you pick it up for?
I paid full retail :? My impulse control could use some improvement!
Yep yep. There's a few on Amazon for $20 and I've seen this on sale at Target and Walmart for quite a while now.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?