[REVIEW] 7984-1 Outpost Attack

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poor
No votes
Average
82%
Excellent
18%

Total votes: 11

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 7984-1 Outpost Attack

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Indexed

Set: 7948-1 Outpost Attack
Price: $20.00
Pieces: 194
Price Per Piece: 10.304
Line: Kingdoms

LEGO Description:
Defend the outpost against the Dragon Knights!

On the borders of the King's land, the outpost is the kingdom's first line of defense. Two of the King's brave soldiers are preparing to repel the Dragon Knight soldier and his giant catapult. Includes 3 minifigures: 2 King's army soldiers and 1 Dragon Knight soldier. Includes 3 minifigures: 2 King's army soldiers and 1 Dragon Knight soldier Beware of the outpost's falling walls! Attack the outpost with the giant brick-flinging catapult! Roll the catapult around the outpost! Outpost measures 7" (17cm) high Catapult measures 3" (7cm) high
So I recently found this at Target listed for $13 which is not the actual price. It is supposed to be $20 but due to their error I profited. Let's jump right into this shall we?

Here is the front of the box. There's nothing worth mentioning here.

The back of the box has all the usual markings of the action shots for playability. You can make the minifigures fight, you can shoot the catapult which will knock over the destructible wall.

Here are the minifigures. They're standard stock. There is no especially well printed 'knight' minifigure that is armored in this set, which makes me a little bit sad. The printing is fine on these minifigures. Very nice.

Here are their backsides, you pervs. :lol: Perfectly fine printing here.

Now here they are all ready for a fight! Grrr that Dragon Knight soldier is angry! :evil:

This next picture only includes ONE minifigure that comes from this set, let me make that very clear for readers. This is for comparison only.

I like the printing on the soldiers, I have the three cheaper sets of Kingdoms but so far all my Dragon Knights have the same face. This isn't a particular downside to this particular set but after purchasing and reviewing three sets it made me sad that there is no difference between these soldiers. I suspect heavy in breeding.

Here are all the minifigure accessories, minus two Dragon Knight shields that are attached to the catapult. They slipped my mind when I took the picture. There is another dark gray helmet as well as a dark gray spear. Nothing else is here particularly necessary to note.

Here is the catapult from the side. There is one of those missing shields from my previous picture! It comes with two rounds to fire off. The construction is pretty simple and is identical to all other previous catapults. Its four wheels and the firing basket that you flip down! Its just gussied up a bit compared to the others.

Just in case you didn't know where to hit your finger down they clearly marked it for you ;)

Now here's the tower! Its a bit simplistic, nothing of special to note here.

You will notice here from the side that those are the new corner castle pieces. They do not feature the empty stud slot where you connect two castle building pieces together like the previous generations. I prefer this new piece personally. I think it looks better and makes the piece less of a hassle to use.

I say that there's nothing special here to denote that this tower set doesn't stand out too much but that doesn't mean it doesn't have nice pieces. This is a printed flag and is NOT a sticker, making much much nicer.

Here is where the destructible part of the tower is supposed to go. I pushed it back into the tower to show you all that it is just on flat tiles and can be pushed back. I have bad news though about the catapult breaking down the tower: it cannot. I tried 20 times to push this piece back by using the catapult and it hit every time but it would not make this wall move. It was a little disappointing.

Here's the final product. I assume that this Dragon Knight left his tower for a while but came back to find that some crazy kids had taken it over and vandalized his brown/forest green/gold color scheme by painting it all red and now he's trying to force them off of his property. The LEGO description says otherwise but why should I believe them?

So here's the short notes here.

Would I recommend this set? Yes, there's nothing wrong with this set. It's not original but it looks pretty decent. It's no 7037-1 Tower Raid, which for $10 more was one of the best Castle sets I've ever bought but it is pretty decent.

Are the minifigures good too? Yes they're fine as well. I'm disappointed by the homogeneity of all the Dragon Knight faces and for a $20 set I expected there to be a fourth minifigure but the quality of the minifigures are great and there's no complaints otherwise.

There's really not much more to say. This set is decent. Go out and get it :)

As another note I encourage you all to do your own reviews and share them here!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 7984-1 Outpost Attack

Post by Tomatoe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm

No Stickers = Thumbs Up. I agree the old tower raid set is better but who cares! Still a good lego set. Thanks for writing all these kingdoms reviews. Look forward to your next one.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:05 pm

My next review in general or my next review on a Kingdom's set? I'm afraid that's a bit of a step up for me if its Kingdoms. I'm eying the Slave 1 right now so I might save up for that :) Darn Boba Fett for being so awesome.

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:02 pm

All of your reviews. ;) Boba Fett and the new carbonite solo makes me wanna get the slave one. Too awesome to pass on it even its expensive.

SirBrickly
I'm New !

Post by SirBrickly » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:29 am

Yeah, I agree. I feel ashamed never to have got the old Tower Raid. The new one looks pretty good, but I'd still save my money on this and go for the Dragon Knight's Prison Tower. Great review though, I enjoyed the comparisons and personal thoughts. Good job!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:53 am

Tomatoe wrote:No Stickers = Thumbs Up. I agree the old tower raid set is better but who cares! Still a good lego set. Thanks for writing all these kingdoms reviews. Look forward to your next one.
There are stickers, vines to put on angled walls.

I felt this was only half a tower, the back side is completely exposed. I think I need to get another set and attach it to the back so it is an actual tower.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 am

Yeah, there are but they're insignificant. Having printed pieces over stickers is always a huge plus for a set.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:51 am

legitimatealex wrote:Yeah, there are but they're insignificant. Having printed pieces over stickers is always a huge plus for a set.
Don't disagree on that.
The flags are nicely printed.
Hope they make some dragon ones in future sets.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:09 am

Oh I think they will. They usually do both factions. The only reason they wouldn't in this case would be because they are using the tiny dark green dragons as their standard or substitute for a banner. If you look at the prison tower they are all over it.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 am

I have yet to build the prison tower, but yeah, saw the little guys on box.
still would have liked at least one dragon banner. :D

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:12 am

ncbarrett wrote:I have yet to build the prison tower, but yeah, saw the little guys on box.
still would have liked at least one dragon banner. :D
You'll get your wish eventually I'm sure. They seem to have at least one printed flag for each faction no matter what line you're coming from.