Creator Expert LEGO 10234 Sydney Opera House

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Creator Expert LEGO 10234 Sydney Opera House

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 pm

The new Ultimate Collector Series (UCS) LEGO Expert Creator 10234 Sydney Opera House set was officially unveiled at theBrickworld in Chicago tonight at 9pm EST. The set will be available beginning September 2013 exclusively at LEGO Brand Stores and LEGO Shop at Home. Additional pictures can be found on our Flickr Photostream Account.

10234 Sydney Opera House

Ages 16+.  2,989 pieces.

Recreate Australia’s architectural masterpiece!

US $319.99 CA $379.99 DE 279.99€ UK 249.99 £ DK  2499.00 DKK

Recreate one of the 20th century’s most distinctive buildings with the Sydney Opera House model. Build the unmistakable shell roofline, waterfront forecourt and more with this authentic representation of Australia’s most iconic building. Employ a variety of new and advancedbuilding techniques to recreate the complex forms, angled walls and subtle detailing of the real thing! Collect lots of dark tan LEGO® bricks including the rare 1x1x2/3 stud and 1x2x2/3 stud slopes, as well as a 48x48 stud baseplate in blue for the very first time!

•  Build this model of a UNESCO World Heritage Site!

•  Includes hard-to-find dark tan LEGO® bricks, tiles and sloped bricks!

•  Collect the 48x48 stud baseplate, available in blue for the very first time!

•  Sturdy construction allows the model to be handled and moved!

•  Features advanced building techniques for complex forms, angled walls and subtle detailing!

•  Measures over 11" high, 25" wideand 15" deep!

As always, here's the Youtube Designer video for this set.

After seeing the pictures and the designer video for the LEGO Creator/Expert/UCS version of the Sydney Opera House, now compare this with the exisiting 21012 Sydney Opera House from the Architecture line (its also currently on sale at Amazon America for 30% off at $28.06). The new one definitely looks better with more detail. But which one do you think is better when your considering the price? The larger Creator version that is about 8 times more expensive or the smaller Architecture one?

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/creator-lego-102 ... era-house/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Creator Expert LEGO 10234 Sydney Opera House

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 pm

It looks amazing! I think it's more than 10 times better than the architecture one. The only question I have now is where will I put it?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:16 am

Too many mega-expensive sets out there. I know it's an iconic building, but is there that much demand for two differently scaled, rather over-priced sets based on the same building?

I'd love to see the Australian price on this thing, also. If this doesn't have a widely-available, more affordable (than usual in Australia) pricepoint, it's a total back-handed slap across the face.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm

While I love the creator line, I'm a bit disappointed by this set at this price. Too many stairs and flat surfaces to make this one interesting to build and for the money, I'll look elsewhere first.

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by LegoFanTexas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:05 pm

The arches are all wrong as well, they are curved on the real building, but they have flat sides on this model, then curve too sharply at the top.

The whole thing looks about 80% finished, this needed more time in the oven.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:11 pm

LegoFanTexas wrote:The arches are all wrong as well, they are curved on the real building, but they have flat sides on this model, then curve too sharply at the top.

Agree, another B-wing? Only time will tell.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Conceptually it is an excellent idea, Lego bricks are optimal for edges and lines therefore recreating the iconic sails / precast concrete shells is a daunting task. As Jamie mentioned this is probably one of the most challenging sets he has done! I like the way he has incorporated the modular construction methodology of the actual construction into the scaled Lego model - all the different elements are in fact modular and not monolithic. The estimated cost is higher than usual but then this is not a set that everybody will invest in, how many of us here at TnB have the taj mahal, the statue of liberty, Eiffel tower or even the tower bridge? This set will appeal to hardcore enthusiast while the smaller one is a a good desktop model, widely sold at tourist shops across Sydney. The media / press pictures are not adequate to show the beauty of this model, it deserves to be seen, for example the Taj Mahal at first instance might seem flat all four sides are almost similar, but the process of building it makes one realize the sheer beauty of the model, the techniques and finally the built form. Can the Sydney opera house be done diffently, oh yes! That's an subjective design opinion and perhaps this model is just a starting point for exploring further adding more bricks, textures, elements, lights that's the beauty of Lego bricks

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:55 pm

I think it's beautiful, the haters can shove it. :P

kbsig106
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by kbsig106 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 am

Wow - what a set. However to big of a rock for my pond, a budget killer.

byobu
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by byobu » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:43 am

LegoFanTexas wrote:The arches are all wrong as well, they are curved on the real building, but they have flat sides on this model, then curve too sharply at the top.

I agree. It still does not look right. For an extra $290 from the original debacle, it's rather exhausting to re-experience.

Perhaps Lego should avoid circle-based, curved structure because it is fundamentally a straight-line, angular building blocks.

I loved how Jørn Utzon eluded Lego AGAIN!

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 am

I, for one, want to see what the parts list is, and see if, at a discount, its worth it as a parts pack. I love Googie Building, and try to build them out of Lego. So I feel the pain of the guy designing this.

Right now I'm still ripping my hair out from frustration on building a two story 12 sided atrium extension for a 1961 bowling alley.

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Beautiful looking set. Horrible, ridiculous price. I could get a Playstation 4 for only $20 more. Lego really needs to re-examine their price to value equation, especially now that they're increasingly outsourcing to China, there's less justification for their pricing model.

mudcatsfan
I'm New !

Post by mudcatsfan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I really don't get the criticism over the price. It seems completely in line with where prices have been lately per brick. Also its just a gorgeous model. For those who say they shouldn't even attempt rounded structures, these things aren't supposed to be photo-realistic. Its a lego model and its absolutely beautiful.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 am

mudcatsfan wrote:I really don't get the criticism over the price. It seems completely in line with where prices have been lately per brick. Also its just a gorgeous model. For those who say they shouldn't even attempt rounded structures, these things aren't supposed to be photo-realistic. Its a lego model and its absolutely beautiful.
I don't think it seems quite in line price wise; $250- $280 would be about correct.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 pm

It's a gorgeous model, and I can't wait to own it. It will eventually be available from Toys 'R' Us, and on sale to boot, but I'll be ordering mine day one, despite the poor price-per-piece ratio (must be all those large and transparent pieces).

willb2064
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by willb2064 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 am

I think it's great, and I'll pick it up at some point but these normally stick around for a few years I think so in no rush to get it.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:20 am

I'm disappointed with this one. I was hoping for an interesting & colorful piece - perhaps a tropical rain forest. I have the Tower Bridge & the minimodulars on the window sill in my dining room.

BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by BrickWild » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:34 am

Toyworld at Myer Centre Adelaide now has these in stock!
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 am

I am happy with TLG released this set in this scale. It is looking awesome. Great job that they are showing they also care about AFOL. I like this version much more than the archit version. However, I am having the same issues as other members had : limited space with tight Lego budget. My "must-have" shopping list is currently full of other exclusive sets.

LegoIt
I'm New !

Post by LegoIt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 am

This looks cool and I've been fortunate enough to visit the Sydney Opera House but I still like the previous large famous structures lego has release better like the Taj Mahal and Tower Bridge etc. The large Statue of Liberty was the first big set I ever built so I am of course partial to that one. I've never built the Eiffel Tower but I really want to. Of all of them, I would say the Sydney Opera House is my least favorite. I wish Lego would come out with a Lego Colosseum!