10236 Ewok Village UCS LEGO Star Wars Set

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: 10236 Ewok Village UCS LEGO Star Wars Set

Post by Blacknight » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah ghosts would've been very cool. The ending of Return of the Jedi, with the rebel pilots and celebration and all, is the only time the ewok village was actually cool.

Otherwise the ewok village was basically the Gungan City of the original trilogy - a Disney (in this case Swiss Family Robinson) inspired place filled with George Lucas' annoying creations meant to appeal to kids but hated by most Star Wars fans.

It is very nice to see another large playset, but $300 is yet more Lego pricing for the 1%. :crazy: I don't know which middle class working families can actually afford such a set.

Other minor thoughts:
-The helmet drums are a nice touch
-The new scout trooper is very nice - some white armor printing on the black arms would've made him perfect
-Leia's hair is great but her dress looks terrible
-Wish the trees were MUCH taller in exchange for less platform space and fewer repeat minifigs

So overall, I think it's pretty nicely designed, but fuzzy tribal teddy bear village just ain't worth $300 + tax to me. Ewoks were just such a weak part of Return of the Jedi.

solo606
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by solo606 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:51 pm

This set looks great. You can see the inspiration from the old Kenner playset.
I think this means the Death Star is finally on its way out the door, so grab one soon if you want it.

lego_man_clone
I'm New !

Post by lego_man_clone » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I doubt the death star would be kicked out for this, since it is there best seller, 24 minifigs, an iconic space station etc..

On the set, it looks ok, not a buy for me, but I can see a lot of MOCs in the future

scotts
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scotts » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm

As someone who just came out of a long dark age and vowed to never touch the Star Wars sets (because of the amount of money I would be spending) this is a must buy set. Ewok's have always been a favorite of mine, and besides Lucas changing the celebration song at the end of RotJ when they remastered it (HUGE pet peeve of mine), a set of this caliber cannot be passed up even if it means paying MSRP. Although $299 (CDN) is a lot of money for a display (at least until my son is old enough to play with it) I know people that spend that much in a month on cigarettes or a couple nights at the bar.

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 pm

marcosbessa wrote:
pogie wrote:
skeet318 wrote:Does the guy in the video shave his hands? No way can your arms be that hairy and not your hands (I know, I know, shut up Skeet).

LMAO!-from the opening still of the movie it looks like a prosthetic hand.
LOOOL.... I had to register myself in this forum just to answer to the funniest comments about my video! xD

No, I don't have a prosthetic hand nor I shave my hands. But I do have some hairy arms... :-D
I have hairy ears! Nice work.

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:08 am

Blacknight wrote:Yeah ghosts would've been very cool. The ending of Return of the Jedi, with the rebel pilots and celebration and all, is the only time the ewok village was actually cool.

Otherwise the ewok village was basically the Gungan City of the original trilogy - a Disney (in this case Swiss Family Robinson) inspired place filled with George Lucas' annoying creations meant to appeal to kids but hated by most Star Wars fans.

It is very nice to see another large playset, but $300 is yet more Lego pricing for the 1%. :crazy: I don't know which middle class working families can actually afford such a set.

Other minor thoughts:
-The helmet drums are a nice touch
-The new scout trooper is very nice - some white armor printing on the black arms would've made him perfect
-Leia's hair is great but her dress looks terrible
-Wish the trees were MUCH taller in exchange for less platform space and fewer repeat minifigs

So overall, I think it's pretty nicely designed, but fuzzy tribal teddy bear village just ain't worth $300 + tax to me. Ewoks were just such a weak part of Return of the Jedi.
Shut Up, Ewok hater!

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 am

skeet318 wrote:Shut Up, Ewok hater!
Am I in the presence of an Ewok lover?

scotts
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scotts » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:51 am

Blacknight wrote:
More then one.

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jeremyp4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 am

I am for sure going to get this set. I've put the brakes on
buying Lego for a little bit but I think I'm going to have to get this one. I'm collecting sets for my son (2.5 years old now) and we are going to give him a huge Lego birthday party when he's a bit older. I have a feeling he will love this set.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 am

scotts wrote:
More than one.
:up:

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 am

Blacknight wrote:

I was born in 1981. Nuff said!

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jeremyp4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 am

skeet318 wrote:
Blacknight wrote:

I was born in 1981. Nuff said!
:-) ditto :-)

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 pm

LEGO did this correctly! I've been waiting years for this. It was only a wish that the Ewok Village would be huge and at a $200+ price point. The designer was able to do this justice with sturdy design, play features, and bridge. This meets but mostly beats all expectations of this set. Five Ewoks, awesome railings, loads of vegetation, minimal Empire involvement, and net trap.

I'm glad that the Jedi ghosts are not included here because they would add a lot of unnecessary cost to this set. For fans of the ghosts, I hope they make a separate set for you.

This will be one of those epic sets that will be in the top 20 must haves for a decade (in my opinion).

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm

marcosbessa wrote:
pogie wrote:
skeet318 wrote:Does the guy in the video shave his hands? No way can your arms be that hairy and not your hands (I know, I know, shut up Skeet).

LMAO!-from the opening still of the movie it looks like a prosthetic hand.
LOOOL.... I had to register myself in this forum just to answer to the funniest comments about my video! xD

No, I don't have a prosthetic hand nor I shave my hands. But I do have some hairy arms... :-D

It's OK, you are really attractive and made an awesome set. :clap:

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm

chenwaa123 wrote:
anthonyj8 wrote:Wow! Lovin' the details! Unfortunately, I would never spend so much on a LEGO set, even of this caliber.
Would you pay $200? beacuse that will be the price or even lower once it hits Amazon and gets discounted.
No, no I would not. I don't like this set that much. :+P

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 pm

lego_man_clone wrote:I doubt the death star would be kicked out for this, since it is there best seller, 24 minifigs, an iconic space station etc..
You may be correct. The price point makes it more likely to replace the recently retired Imperial Shuttle than a DS replacement. That seems to be the conversation that is happening on a different site. Personally I find the village much more desirable than the IS for a number of reasons.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 pm

A very nice set. Excellent job from TLG. I am glad that TLG came up with this set with passion. My jaw dropped while viewing those pics.

The only Cons of this masterpiece was the MSRP setting too high. I prefer TLG removing R2D2, C3PO, Chewbacca, and the battle pack 9489 from this Ewok Village to keep the MSRP lower. On the other hands, while TLG put ghost pirate to set 79008, why wouldn't they put ghost Jedi to Ewok Village set? :roll:

I hope I do not have to get this set at CND MSRP.

crewser
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by crewser » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I have a niece that adores the Ewok's, but unless I can find a deal before next Christmas, I won't be getting it for her. How much of the high price is due to the new Disney licensing on the SW's sets? High price aside, it still looks like a great set.