JABBA PALACE - LEGO TO STOP PRODUCTION

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Neo
Knight
Knight

Re: JABBA PALACE - LEGO TO STOP PRODUCTION

Post by Neo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 am

Mrbill317 wrote:Does this start the 'investment' hoarding?
when will the hurting stop? :roll: :lol:

staffmark
Citizen
Citizen

Post by staffmark » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 am

You're damn right it does. I just bought another one today and put it away. I don't expect to see it under MSRP again until it retires.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 am

Journalists are worse than TV weathermen: they can be wrong half the time, and yet still get paid.

They give us headlines like this: "Lego scraps Star Wars toy Jabba after 'anti-Muslim' complaints" : http://news.msn.com/world/lego-scraps-s ... mplaints-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While techincally true, there is no cause-and-effect here:
Lego confirmed it was ending production of the "Jabba’s Palace" play set by 2014, the company denied that complaints from the Turkish Cultural Association of Austria were the reason. ,,,
and that Jabba’s Palace “was planned from beginning to only be in the assortment until the end of 2013.”
and, yet
The Turkish Cultural Association nevertheless claimed victory
It's like lobbying LEGO to have the sun rise tomorrow, and then claiming victory when the sun is seen in the morning.

Ice, can you please change the front page + headline to something that better reflects reality: "LEGO proceeds with business plan, aggrieved parties relieved"

And yes, hoarding has begun.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:29 am

Lego hoarders, resellers, speculators and Lego mafias have already risen to the occasion, this set is sold out on amazon! Incredible

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 am

It will be back. There must have been an initial rush from the speculators who don't understand how these things work. It's not like they ended production now. That would be stupid, considering the Rancor Pit is only a few months old and the Sail Barge is due this summer.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

staffmark wrote:
You're damn right it does. I just bought another one today and put it away. I don't expect to see it under MSRP again until it retires.
lol :lol:no

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am

I'm offended by all the Muslim- related violence that goes on oversees.....can we order them to stop production of more Violent Muslims?

staffmark
Citizen
Citizen

Post by staffmark » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 am

iccarus wrote:It will be back. There must have been an initial rush from the speculators who don't understand how these things work. It's not like they ended production now. That would be stupid, considering the Rancor Pit is only a few months old and the Sail Barge is due this summer.

Agreed, it'll be back, but the retailers would be foolish to discount it again, and they know this by now, seeing how it sold out this week. Don't expect to see it under RRP again.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am

Yeah, sure does. It was on Sale two weeks ago for less than 40% of what you will need to pay for it today.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am

staffmark wrote:
iccarus wrote:It will be back. There must have been an initial rush from the speculators who don't understand how these things work. It's not like they ended production now. That would be stupid, considering the Rancor Pit is only a few months old and the Sail Barge is due this summer.
Agreed, it'll be back, but the retailers would be foolish to discount it again, and they know this by now, seeing how it sold out this week. Don't expect to see it under RRP again.
When it initially comes back in stock, I would expect them to be at RRP again. However, I can easily see them dipping back on sale by summer, once this initial hype dies down and supplies are again plentiful.

This is not like Minecraft. It is a major production set and a flagship of the current Star Wars line. It's also significantly more expensive and takes up more storage space.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

ninjabot4
I'm New !

Post by ninjabot4 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm

This just in: "Lego quits production of Jabba's Palace, deciding to rebrand it as Lego Architecture Haggia Sophia."
-This move is pure genius on the part of Lego!

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm

ninjabot4 wrote:This just in: "Lego quits production of Jabba's Palace, deciding to rebrand it as Lego Architecture Haggia Sophia."
Where's the like button? :clap:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 pm

skeet318 wrote:I'm offended by all the Muslim- related violence that goes on oversees.....can we order them to stop production of more Violent Muslims?
:clap: that's right,

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 pm

ninjabot4 wrote:This just in: "Lego quits production of Jabba's Palace, deciding to rebrand it as Lego Architecture Haggia Sophia."
That's excellent! What happens to the mini figures? Hopefully the architecture version comes with princess leia and oola both with a veil

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 pm

It is of course still available at Lego.com with double vip point bonus right now. A quick search shows a few secondary sellers with it at msrp. Of course TRU will have them through 2015 I'm sure. It is kind of silly that people panicked and bought all of the sets that were available even at a small discount. We know it is only out of stock temporarily until the next shipment. I'm surprised it isn't back on amazon at msrp even 1 day later. We will see more sales, don't fret if you haven't picked it up yet. You just have to wait for the hype to die down before the sale prices will come back. Be patient. You have lots of time.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 am

:clap: thumb up.

In fact, the more they care about how Jabba Palace looking like Haggia Sophia, the more people associated Jabba Palace to Haggia Sophia. After the Muslim complaint has been escalated, everytime I looked at my Jabba Palace, my mind came up with Haggia Sophia.

I believe TLG has already planned to end this product in 2014, no matter what muslim culture did.

Afterall, IMO, TLG was the biggest beneficiary. They got free advertisement.

EDIT: I just found an official response from TLG.
http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room ... s-product/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by legohunter on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francfurters
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Francfurters » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 am

Lol. April Trolls that think that everything is a joke just because it was posted on April Fools Day. This is indeed real. It's absurd how Muslims target toys now. I'm surprised how they complained now rather than 30 years ago when the palace was actually seen for the first time. I believe Lego isn't the one to blame here.

shootyb
Peasant
Peasant

Post by shootyb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 am

They are selling in the $180-200 range (shipped) on eBay. Let's see how long it lasts.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 am

It has minifigs, which means it is off limits to strict Muslims anyways. About as effectual as vegitarians boycotting KFC, which has the menu item "soda" as the only thing not containing any animal product.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 am

2 days later and it is now back on amazon at msrp w free shipping. My guesstimate is 2 weeks max before we see it at 20% off again.

(Though I'd wait to get it cheaper than that if you are still wanting it)