Lego Simpsons in 2014?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Lego Simpsons in 2014?

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 am

Unofficial as of now but here is some info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gP4aSxlls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISkBb5rVZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUys1cA61Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YscIxKLiGV0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the idea, it has potential.

Luciant
Count
Count

Re: Lego Simpsons in 2014?

Post by Luciant » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:07 pm

lego the hutt wrote:Unofficial as of now but here is some info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gP4aSxlls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISkBb5rVZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUys1cA61Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YscIxKLiGV0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the idea, it has potential.

Day late and dollar short. I'm only hoping it produces a baby minifig so finally we'll have a legit one
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 pm

IF this is real, I don't see it doing well. I don't let my kids watch the Simpsons and I suspect a lot of other parents also don't, and quite frankly, the show has lost its appeal to me as an adult. I only tune in for the halloween specials anymore. And what kind of sets would they make? The couch? Homer at work? Bart in detention? The Kwikie mart?

I guess I'll have to reserve final judgement until I see a final product though.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

FenrisAkashi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by FenrisAkashi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Can only hope this is a joke.
Licensed themes are honestly feeling a bit much these days, would rather see more work put towards better original themes.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I would have thought a simpsons theme was not possible because one of Lego's criteria has always been that themes have to be appropriate for kids ages 6-12.

They seem to have been ignoring that rule somewhat lately but at the same time I think the simpsons does get a bad rap and get lumped in with other night time cartoons like South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama etc. Those cartoons are targeted at adults. Simpsons is much more kid friendly and not targeted at such a mature audience as the others. (though Homer does go to the bar it is the sexual content that isn't present like in the other cartoons).

Just out of curiosity Hatcher, do you let your kids watch the LotR movies? They are rated PG-13 and we have Lego sets based on them so I'm thinking that age 6-12 appropriate rule is pretty much out the window at this point. The lone ranger seems like it might be a pg-13 movie with the gun fights and robbing since movie ratings having become more strict. We have had Indiana Jones theme sets. The first 2 Indiana movies were only rated PG but there is no way they would be rated PG by today's standards with the blood and fighting and drinking and swearing.

In an age when everything seems like a remake or a spinoff, the simpsons seems like as good a theme as any. I'm definitely more interested in the simpsons than say, a remake of TMNT...though that is not saying much.
Last edited by lego the hutt on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Weird. This is like when the bumblebee girl from series 10 was first linked, and I assumed it was a Blind Melon joke, but then... it appears to actually be happening.

Oh well, if these happen I'm sure someone will love them. I just don't think I'll be one of those someones :)

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:19 pm

This might be a theme the wife is interested in collecting.

I can't help but think that maybe part of it is because it is cheap and easy for Lego to convert yellow minifigs into Simpsons characters,

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

What's next? Family Guy or South Park?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

lego the hutt wrote:I would have thought a simpsons theme was not possible because one of Lego's criteria has always been that themes have to be appropriate for kids ages 6-12.

They seem to have been ignoring that rule somewhat lately but at the same time I think the simpsons does get a bad rap and get lumped in with other night time cartoons like South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama etc. Those cartoons are targeted at adults. Simpsons is much more kid friendly and not targeted at such a mature audience as the others. (though Homer does go to the bar it is the sexual content that isn't present like in the other cartoons).

Just out of curiosity Hatcher, do you let your kids watch the LotR movies? They are rated PG-13 and we have Lego sets based on them so I'm thinking that age 6-12 appropriate rule is pretty much out the window at this point. The lone ranger seems like it might be a pg-13 movie with the gun fights and robbing since movie ratings having become more strict. We have had Indiana Jones theme sets. The first 2 Indiana movies were only rated PG but there is no way they would be rated PG by today's standards with the blood and fighting and drinking and swearing.

In an age when everything seems like a remake or a spinoff, the simpsons seems like as good a theme as any. I'm definitely more interested in the simpsons than say, a remake of TMNT...though that is not saying much.
My oldest is only 7, so no, they have not seen the Lord of the Rings. They have seen my LOTR sets, but have no idea that they came from a movie.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:58 pm

One word....DONUTS ;-)

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:05 pm

In all seriousness, I'd rather see so many other licensed themes instead of the Simpsons. I have a 7 year old and I would not let her watch the Simpsons. But I don't like her to watch Sponge Bob either and LEGO has SB sets. I really don't think the Simpsons tv show is for young kids though.

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

I can imagine Lego doing Ren & Stimpy.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Someone mentioned in one of those youtube videos, maybe Lego is pursuing a Fox based license because of 20th Century Fox and they would have access to numerous upcoming movie themes. They are coming out with a wolverine movie this summer. I could see sets based on that as an add on to the super heroes line and the Simpsons being included in the license as just a bonus.

Or it could possibly be a general Fox based license that would give access to other TV programs as well as the Simpsons. (though I looked at Fox's current TV show line up and didn't find any shows that I thought were good candidates for a Lego theme).

I'm not sure of the details of the license agreement talks going on but that seems more likely than going after a Simpsons license specifically.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 am

LEGO can make, and already did, make wolverine sets. Fox doesn't own the rights to that.

I get a kick out of everyone who complains about The Simpsons, it's a family show. It's a lot more children friendly than PotC and LotR and most likely LR.

sydra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sydra » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:25 am

I think the Simpsons would make for a great CMF series, if they ever wanted to expand or change those...

Tyrant01
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Tyrant01 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:LEGO can make, and already did, make wolverine sets. Fox doesn't own the rights to that.
I thought they had the rights to the comic versions and Marvel movie versions, not the Fox (not sure about Sony for Spider Man) movie versions. All of the characters in the Wolverine set are comic versions and the Spider Man sets are based on an animated show (I believe). I could see pursuing a Fox license to get at those versions of the characters (I would prefer the comic versions though).

As for the Simpsons, the only upside I see is that it would be a licensed series that didn't use fleshies.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Tyrant01 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:LEGO can make, and already did, make wolverine sets. Fox doesn't own the rights to that.
I thought they had the rights to the comic versions and Marvel movie versions, not the Fox (not sure about Sony for Spider Man) movie versions. All of the characters in the Wolverine set are comic versions and the Spider Man sets are based on an animated show (I believe). I could see pursuing a Fox license to get at those versions of the characters (I would prefer the comic versions though).

As for the Simpsons, the only upside I see is that it would be a licensed series that didn't use fleshies.
That is basically what I was thinking when I read the post by B&B but I wasn't sure of the specifics so I didn't reply. I'm glad someone else mentioned the difference between the Marvel license and a 20th century fox movie based license.

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Is this good or bad?

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

BrickGarurumon wrote:Is this good or bad?
The answer is unclear; please ask again later :ugeek:

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:32 pm

I would not be able to resist getting these sets even though I stopped watching the Simpsons long ago (only because it was not funny enough) and never bought any other Simpsons product. Similar to the TMNT sets, I could not resist even though I don't like the design of any of the sets besides the turtle figures and mouser.

So many cooler licenses to explore first like Wizard of Oz/Oz the Great and Powerful.