LEGO 79111 Constitution Train Chase Lone Rangers Set

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO 79111 Constitution Train Chase Lone Rangers Set

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

The Yahoo Movies Blog has revealed pictures of the upcoming LEGO Lone Rangers 79111 Constitution Train Chase set. A full train track will be included along with 7 seven new minifigures and a horse. The Disney Lone Ranger Movie will be released in theatres on July 3, 2013. (via Eurobricks)

LEGO Constitution Train Chase

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-79111-const ... ngers-set/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: LEGO 79111 Constitution Train Chase Lone Rangers Set

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 pm

It comes with a full loop of track. <3 The train itself isn't bad either, resemblance of the Emerald Night.

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 pm

So since it comes with that much track does that imply/mean it's motorized out of the box? Or do they sometimes have sets with push trains that have track? (Sorry if question seems green; only train I have is Ghost Train hehe)

wegj
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wegj » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

That bird is sweet, comes with the track!!!
WEGJ–keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models + Minifigs

Jasper Parnebrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Jasper Parnebrick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 am

Love it! Now let's just hope that TLG doesn't gouge us! If the movie is a flop then maybe the theme will be the next PoP, and this baby will be steeply discounted in about a year! But something tells me that even if it is a flop, train enthousiasts will still like this.. I know I do. :)

Howeesp
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Howeesp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 am

So, is this power functioned?

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:43 am

The-Daryl wrote:So since it comes with that much track does that imply/mean it's motorized out of the box? Or do they sometimes have sets with push trains that have track? (Sorry if question seems green; only train I have is Ghost Train hehe)
From the photo, you can tell that the steam locomotive boiler/body section is too small/narrow to hold the battery pack and the tender next to it does not have a battery pack (there would be a wire connecting the locomotive to the tender if this were so) but possible could hold one. My guess is that the Lego 79111 is non motorized but has an option to motorize like the Emerald Green. If this set was a RC set - the photo would also show variable remote controller (Lego 8879) and you should be able to see part of the RC IR receiver (Lego 8884) somewhere on the locomotive.

The Constitution 4-6-0 style locomotive engine lacks piston driven wheels which makes this design simpler to motorize - hence the need to use a Powr Function XL-motor and more complex gearing to motorize the Constitution locomotive engine (like the Emerald Green) would not be necessary. I would venture that first two axles of the larger wheels on this 4-6-0 locomotive could be driven by a PF train motor (Lego 88002) and be powered by a AAA battery pack (Lego 88000, 8 x4 stud platform, 3-2/3 bricks high) sitting in the Tender car (10x6 stud platform, 3-2/3 bricks high). The Tender car's height might needs to increased slightly to add the battery pack. The locomotive's engineer/fireman's cab looks large enough to accommodate a Power Function Remote Control IR Receiver (Lego 8884 , 4x4 stud platform, 4 bricks high) could be put in locomotive's engineer/fireman cab. Because of the small size of the train, cable management of the power function devices might pose some design challenges - The locomotive engine is rather small, so at first glance, the wiring of LED lights (Lego 8870) into the front headlights might pose some challenges.

BTW: The scale of the water tower is way too small to be used to replenish a steam locomotive engine.
That being said, at an MRSP of 99.99, this non motorized set is a decent design and has a potential to be motorized.

I'll probably get this one.

IMHO parts in this set which are valuable to Lego train builders are:

The train tracks (16 curved, 4 straight)
The 8 train axle-wheels.
The sliding door on the last car
The curved pieces on the locomotive especially along the side of the main body/boiler section
the 6 large train wheels on the locomotive
the 6 magnetic train car couplers.
The bell on the locomotive
The train pilot-cow catcher

HTH

Walter
Last edited by Neo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:28 am

Looks to not be motorized.
Although i would hate to be right in this case, I am assuming the market this is geared towards is the adult collector. But if im wrong this is pointed towards the younger crowd in which TLG would be wise to add motorized kit items, No parent wants to get this home and have a kid whine that it doesnt move "But it can if you buy this for me..."

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:51 am

Nice, real curve tracks instead of flex track.

willb2064
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by willb2064 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:58 am

I have no interest in the movie but I love this set, I'll be picking it up for sure.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 am

Might end up being my first train. Looks great.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 am

This will easier to motorize compared to the Ghost train. I'm bit surprised they skipped not making a caboose for this set.

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bobsterino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:41 am

Are the supports on the water tower a new part? I don't recall seeing these before.

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bobsterino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 pm

The front of the train boiler looks like a new part - ridged dish - or is that just a printed part?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Marcus70 wrote:This will easier to motorize compared to the Ghost train. I'm bit surprised they skipped not making a caboose for this set.
They could be aiming for a certain price point. Since it's Lego, probably not hard to MOC or MOD to your personal tastes.

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks Neo for the very detailed answer :)

I'm kind of interested in a motorized train (eventually) but really like the western theme/steam trains more than the more modern looking ones. So this might be the one I convert if I can figure it out!

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Marcus70 wrote:This will easier to motorize compared to the Ghost train. I'm bit surprised they skipped not making a caboose for this set.
I agree The Lone Ranger Train 4-6-0 Steam locomotive looks adaptable to being motorize - motorizing the Ghost train requires a major overhaul. I'm not all that concern about having a caboose since I already have a MOC caboose - albeit whether my design would historically consistent with a circa 1870s train set I'm not sure. :roll:

Even though it is on sale for a really great price now on Amazon, I will not be buying the Ghost Train.

A Ghost Train 4-4-0 steam locomotive does not have a tender car to store the battery box. I would have preferred that the resources of the set had not been diverted to making an airplane ( I would not have missed the airplane if it were not included or was in a different set ) and the focused had been on making a more substantial locomotive and on giving it a tender car. I would have preferred that the Ghost Train cars had used railroad track wheel/axles and train car couplers. The Ghost Train is design for the under 10 years old market and is not designed for a railroad track or to be motorized. The Ghost Train is a pull toy train - basically a toy Mommy duck with her ducklings trailing behind.

Wrt to why the Lone Ranger set isn't motorized - cost. Motorized train sets are not big seller as far as I know. Unlike the Lego Train AFOL enthusiast Lego has to make a profit - lower price set sell faster and are more popular. Going over three digits or even being near the three digit price range as far as the USA market is concern makes this set a tougher sell for the under 12 years old market when it comes to pleading to mom and dad for that really really cool lego set. While there is a Lego market upward migration path to AFOL - AFOL still represent a smaller sub market to Lego.

It seems to me that the basic build issue/problems points of the Ghost Train have been rectified on the Constitution Train set - which is why the Constitution Train set looks like a much better set to me than the Ghost Train set.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:17 pm

I think the ghost train filled a much different role than something like this. Thematically speaking, why would a ghost train need to actually run on track. ;)

I do agree that, if the LR train does not come with power functions, that decision was made to keep this at a price point stores will carry. I rarely see higher priced sets in stores around me. Having no PF means this will probably have a price point at around the 120-130 range (at least I hope).

Also @Bobsterino, I believe the water tower legs are this part.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bobsterino » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 am

Yup - I believe those are the same parts. I simply hadn't run across them before!

Cementups
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cementups » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm

After seeing the NY pics of this set and seeing that it is price marked at $100, I may very well be buying this set. I like it at that dollar mark.