Disney buys Lucasfilm

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
petersnell
I'm New !

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Post by petersnell » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Looks like some new Star Wars Episode VII sets for 2015.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/30/d ... wars-film/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Disney buys Lucasfilm! New Star Wars movie in 2015

Post by hatcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm

This just in, Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 Billion (in cash and stock) from Lucas, and are hoping to release a new movie in 2015. I had to check to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I first heard this, but its true.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... m/1669739/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm! New Star Wars movie in 2015

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:10 pm

eh, I'm sure it'll be fine

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm wondering if they will follow the books or start from scratch or find a new area of EU.
Put this franchise in the right hands and it will be great.

Jasper Parnebrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Jasper Parnebrick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Why isnt this thread bombarded with idle threats from Fanboys yet?

legomason
I'm New !

Post by legomason » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Hmm... is Disney going to buy Lego next? :shock:

Cimmerian
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cimmerian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Jasper Parnebrick wrote:Why isnt this thread bombarded with idle threats from Fanboys yet?
Because this is a toy forum. We're all mature adults here. :mrgreen:

bigtrainfan
I'm New !

Post by bigtrainfan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm

This is either going to be one of the best things that ever happened to Star Wars, or the absolute worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars.

Now, who's ready to start speculating about what the new movie(s) will be about? I doubt it would ever happen, but I'm hoping for a movie version of the Thrawn Trilogy. If you haven't read it yet, you should. It's absolutely outstanding.
~bigtrainfan~

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 pm

I have high hopes for a new trilogy that is not directed by lucas
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 pm

bigtrainfan wrote:This is either going to be one of the best things that ever happened to Star Wars, or the absolute worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars.

Now, who's ready to start speculating about what the new movie(s) will be about? I doubt it would ever happen, but I'm hoping for a movie version of the Thrawn Trilogy. If you haven't read it yet, you should. It's absolutely outstanding.
I'm extremely afraid... Disney has a tendency to bastardize original concepts and I fear the greed...
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Post by anakinisvader » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Now lego can make minifigs of: Minnie Leia, Jedi Mickey, Goofy Vader, Donald Maul, and Pluto wan kenobi.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 pm

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I'm wondering if they will follow the books or start from scratch or find a new area of EU.
Put this franchise in the right hands and it will be great.
Well if they do follow the books I hope they will get the old actors and actresses like Harrison Ford to play their older version, if not, then even a a cameo would be nice.

mommy23boys
I'm New !

Post by mommy23boys » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 am

I am looking for to the new movies. It should be good. Plus there are always room for more legos!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:11 am

Luciant wrote:
bigtrainfan wrote:This is either going to be one of the best things that ever happened to Star Wars, or the absolute worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars.

I'm extremely afraid... Disney has a tendency to bastardize original concepts and I fear the greed...
They've not really done anything to Marvel Comics except continue to fund it.

I can't help but think this is a good thing for Star Wars. Not only does it keep the property alive for future generations (what would have happened if Lucas held the rights until he passed away? It would have passed on to his kids, no doubt, but are they even interested or willing to take on the burden?)

Secondly, Disney isn't a single-man empire surrounded by yesmen, so they will actually turn down bad ideas, or hand the reins to someone else when things stop working.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:23 am

Harrison Ford has repeatedly said he has no interest in playing Han anymore. Plus the guy is like 70 years old. Mark Hamil is showing his age too. That being said, I would not be cool with recasting them.

I hope the new movies do not feature any of the classic characters (except maybe the droids and Chewbacca, who rules, since Wookiees live for a long time.) Time to move on to new characters and new adventures. The Star Wars universe is huge. The potential is endless. It might be fun so get McGregor to come back and play the ghost of Obi-wan though.

I just hope we don't end up with a movie about Boba Fett starring Johnny Depp directed by Tim Burton.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 am

nick91884 wrote:I have high hopes for a new trilogy that is not directed by lucas
amen

meclo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by meclo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:37 am

Agree with nick. A new trilogy with no or minimal involvement from Lucas could be a great thing.

After the prequel trilogy I can't be scared that Disney might "ruin" Star Wars...and especially since their handling of the Marvel empire so far has shown that they can be "hands-off" when they need to be.

@bigtrainfan: Agreed, the Thrawn Trilogy is awesome! By far the best of the EU stuff that I've read (which admittedly is not that much)..I'm scared to think of how much I would pay for a set with Thrawn, Mara Jade and a few Noghri minifigs..!

And LMAO at Cimmerian's comment too, well done!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Luciant wrote:

Oh yeah because they have destroyed Marvel and Pixar. :roll:

The new movie can't be worse than the prequels, so I have hopes.

At the very least we will finally get new ships based on something other than Clone Wars.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm

hatcher wrote:I hope the new movies do not feature any of the classic characters (except maybe the droids and Chewbacca, who rules, since Wookiees live for a long time.)
But Han outlives Chewbacca because Chewie died in the book Vector Prime. Who knows if Disney will destroy EU as we know it.

I also wonder when Disney will make the live action TV series. Season(s) of episodes are already written, but the obstacle was cost per episode was too high. Maybe by the time Disney finishes IX, the cost per episode will be met.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 am

George Lucas plans to donate the majority of the profits from the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney to educational efforts. Say what you will about his artistic integrity, but that's just fantastic.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive