2013 Super Heroes revealed at NYCC

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: 2013 Super Heroes revealed at NYCC

Post by cornbread » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

gorenoirmag wrote:I find it funny that this site/forum is generally just an adult playground for people to whine about how badly designed these kids toys are. I think you all need a time out to put things in perspective. The tumbler is small.. yup.. Lego never makes smaller versions of vehicles ever right? Do you think little johnny will talk his dad into buying a 80+ dollar tumbler set? Then try and fit that beast into his backpack so he can go over his friends house and play with it? Hmm.. DOOM! that is all
I think you missed the part where people mentioned the quality of MOCs of the tumbler that are on the same scale as this set. Size is not the only argument people have made. There is definitely something lacking in Lego's design after what I've seen other people make. Theres also the issue of the blue in the Bat...

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:22 am

You'd think with all the great innovative Ninjago Snake/elemental vehicle designs that TLG could come with a better Tumbler.

So the idea that these sets are for children is sort of thrown out the window.

Ever build Fangpyre Truck? or any Fangpyre vehicle.. pretty impressive yet minimal building techniques.

Clearly these superheroes sets are to sell minifigures.

And I don't think its wrong for anyone to complain or ask for better quality construction sets.

Especially with iconic vehicles such as Batman's Tumbler.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 am

A decent tumbler set could be made at $50-$60 MSRP, and little Jonny dad would be able to afford it. If a tumbler is set at this price range, TLG would not design a beast that could not be fit into a backpack.

In fact, we are asking for better design with more detail than a bigger vehice.

jasake
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jasake » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 am

cornbread wrote:
gorenoirmag wrote:I find it funny that this site/forum is generally just an adult playground for people to whine about how badly designed these kids toys are. I think you all need a time out to put things in perspective. The tumbler is small.. yup.. Lego never makes smaller versions of vehicles ever right? Do you think little johnny will talk his dad into buying a 80+ dollar tumbler set? Then try and fit that beast into his backpack so he can go over his friends house and play with it? Hmm.. DOOM! that is all
I think you missed the part where people mentioned the quality of MOCs of the tumbler that are on the same scale as this set. Size is not the only argument people have made. There is definitely something lacking in Lego's design after what I've seen other people make. Theres also the issue of the blue in the Bat...
there are different levels of test a design has to past before it goes to production. One of the biggest one is "is the set stable and sturdy" i have seen many beautiful mocs, bought some myself but found them to be very fragile in some areas. If a kid wants to pick up and play with it, only to have the set fall apart... i don't think that kid will be too happy

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

The disappointment is also due to the build-up of expectations after seeing the Bane minifigure, as well as knowledge of the previous version of this vehicle. For a mere $10 more, the previous version of the Tumbler is MUCH more substantial, if quite a bit out of proportion. A happy medium between that one and the new one would have gone a long way to please AFOLs.

Bear in mind, also, that the movies these sets are based on are pretty much NOT appropriate for the much-touted "LEGO target demographic", so this set is really aimed at adults and... kids who saw some commercials for the movie I guess?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 pm

My lone gripe isn't with the design of this Tumbler. It's the fact that it's yet another Batman set. I completely understand that Batman is probably the most recognizable character in the DC Universe, but c'mon, they've named the theme DC UNIVERSE! I mean, the whole Justice League roster is pretty well-known, yet we've only seen Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman (and an exclusive Green Lantern that the majority of us refuse to pay an arm and a leg for). Bring on the rest of the universe!

I'm looking at you too, Marvel!

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 pm

unclephn wrote:I'm looking at you too, Marvel!
Marvel could expand some but I think they have been doing a pretty good job so far wolverine, deadpool, immortal iron fist, spiderman, thor, captain america, black widow, iron man, hulk, hawkeye.

Villains are lacking with marvel so far magneto, loki, doc ock, and random chitauri (avengers baddies).

There are always more characters but I have been pleasantly surprised with some of the lesser known (maybe not lesser known but not as famous?) heroes they have been able to shoehorn into some of the sets, Iron fist? Dead pool? Awesome! I didn't expect to get either in LEGO. And soon we'll get Nova!

I am looking forward to more marvel characters but I can't say I'm disappointed so far
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I will say this about what marvel needs to get on the ball with, Fantastic four with silver surfer and Big Galactus build!
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:50 pm

If you look at the pictures, here's what I notice that might help bring this into a better perspective:

In 7888, The Tumbler was the Main object in this set. The Joker van is a very simple build, and no 'extra' objects other than minifig accessories. It had 2 "unique" minifigs with a henchmen. It also has 100 more pieces.

In this new set, Bane's vehicle seems to be the main object. The tumbler is simple in comparison, but gives a good representation albeit without the extra flare we want in our Superhero sets. It has 3 unique minifigs in this set. It also has 2 warning barriers (waste of piece space), and 100 pieces less. It would probably taken more than 100 pieces (and we know each piece is not made equally) to turn the tumbler into something impressive (but how to make it not a copy of the previous).

Would I have preferred a higher priced set to make the tumbler better? Defiantly. Would they have sold more simply because of the better look? Probably not, as the major target is parents who are trying to save money yet give their child awesome Batman Lego!
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Derek » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 am

unclephn wrote:My lone gripe isn't with the design of this Tumbler. It's the fact that it's yet another Batman set. I completely understand that Batman is probably the most recognizable character in the DC Universe, but c'mon, they've named the theme DC UNIVERSE! I mean, the whole Justice League roster is pretty well-known, yet we've only seen Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman (and an exclusive Green Lantern that the majority of us refuse to pay an arm and a leg for). Bring on the rest of the universe!
I'm a big Batman guy, but I agree with you. Anyway, sooner or later the Batman ideas will be running dry. We've gotten most of the major vehicles - Batmobile, Batwing, Batcycle, Batboat (I'm waiting for a Bathammer and Batcopter). We've gotten the major, best-known villains, and the two best-known locations: Batcave and Arkham. I think the old Batman theme ran its course because it was comprised of the the major Batman stuff.

Batman will probably be the foundation of the DC Universe sets. However, I believe LEGO will continue to chase whatever movies/shows DC releases. Man of Steel for starters. And eventually the rumored movies, for The Flash, Justice League, and Wonder Woman. I'm surprised they've done nothing with the Green Lantern Animated Series, but we can hope for that too if the show lasts.

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm

nick91884 wrote:I will say this about what marvel needs to get on the ball with, Fantastic four with silver surfer and Big Galactus build!
I love this idea

Gooker1
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Gooker1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm

soulless_minion wrote:
nick91884 wrote:I will say this about what marvel needs to get on the ball with, Fantastic four with silver surfer and Big Galactus build!
I love this idea
I think Fox still has the liscense to The Fantastic Four, so as long as Fox has those certain Marvel properties, it might be a little challenge to bring those figures to us.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Gooker1 wrote:I think Fox still has the liscense to The Fantastic Four, so as long as Fox has those certain Marvel properties, it might be a little challenge to bring those figures to us.
Fox only has the license for the film franchise. Our best bet for a LEGO Fantasic Four is if they made an appearance on Ultimate Spider-Man (fun fact: The Thing has already made an appearance, albeit a brief one, in an episode of said Spidrr-Man show!)

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Derek » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 am

If the Fantastic Four movie comes to fruition, I'm sure LEGO will jump on it. Granted, they won't be based on the movie, but they will still be The Fantastic Four (classic comic versions). Same thing when the X-men sequel comes out (2014 is it?).

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

I heard the Teen titans are coming back to Cartoon Network in 2013 as Teen Titans Go!. Hopefully LEGO will do sets. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm

They could do the fantastic four set as long as its based on the comics. They did the x-men chopper takedown set that wasnt based on a current show or cartoon, it looked like it was based on the wolverine movie they did but fox had the rights to that and the box just said Marvel X-men. They do seem to favor making sets based on current cartoons but they can always make an exception.