LEGO Galaxy Squad 2013

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Noblebrick
Peasant
Peasant

Re: LEGO Galaxy Squad 2013

Post by Noblebrick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:20 am

Uh..Um... am I the only one concerned now that pretty much every other theme has had leaked images of sets, yet none to be found here? Is it perhaps an summer theme?

Draykov
I'm New !

Post by Draykov » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm

This image (original photo by Mark Stafford) was in BrickJournal 17 along with a bunch of behind-the-scenes design-phase info about the Alien Conquest theme. The blue guys are just Alien Conquest figs with a few odd parts, but the red guys...remain a mystery.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Noblebrick wrote:Uh..Um... am I the only one concerned now that pretty much every other theme has had leaked images of sets, yet none to be found here? Is it perhaps an summer theme?

We only got the January 2013 set pictures. We will get more City, Chima, Star Wars sets in the summer, and probably a few more new themes late in the year.

But The Lone Ranger and the new Space theme are March-April time frame, so the pictures aren't in catalogs yet... I guess.

Draykov
I'm New !

Post by Draykov » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks to Murphquake's Flickr post of a teaser image in the latest LEGO Club Magazine, we can get a first look at (presumably) one of the new sets from the line and the "bad guy" minifigs.

(click to embiggen)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 am

WOOT! That looks awesome (and just as I'd imagined)!

Looks like red bubble canopies for the eyes on that one - nice new color!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am

I like the inclusion of a stinger on the head mold. Seems pretty deadly to me and scarier than past aliens.

Jared

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Polywen, the artist responsible for the LEGO Club Magazine comics, posted the original artwork for the pic above. No words, but less glare.

MF5p2FinalSmall by polywen, on Flickr

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 pm

This reminds me of Lego Insectoids.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Polywen confirms that the "Swarm" are olive green. At least the figs, not sure about the vehicles (though it's more than likely they are, as well).

EDIT: It seems the vehicles are NOT olive green, but primarily lime green with black, light and dark tan, trans and dark red, and a splash of purple. The Galaxy Squad protagonists are NOT steampunk style, so there is no direct connection to Monster Fighters aside from this narrative.

murphquake
Peasant
Peasant

Post by murphquake » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 am

The Lego Club magazine comics seem to be a normal way for TLG to introduce new themes to kids, usually by concluding one story arc in a way that launches the next... AC had PQ & Atlantis tie-ins, and presumably was going to go to Dino also if the 2nd season hadn't been cancelled ='(

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:26 am

Since this is the November/December issue of LEGO Club Magazine, it seems like maybe this WILL be a January theme, or perhaps April... Not a summer release.

Draykov
I'm New !

Post by Draykov » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks to ufjason over at FBTB for this image (in spite of its quality):

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Looks exactly like Mars Mission.

wegj
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wegj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm a big fan of space, but this just looks like the same old thing. Same astronaut suits from last years theme and bugs from the past... When I heard this theme originally I thought of the movie Galaxy Quest or something more like Star Trek, that would have been cool!
WEGJ–keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models + Minifigs

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Here is my bitter opinion (this excludes the Star Wars license):
1989 was the last good Space year. There was great stuff: Classic, Futuron, Blacktron 1, and Space Police 1. Everything ever since (Blacktron 2, M-Tron, Unitron, Mars Mission, Life on Mars, Ice Planet, Insectoids, even Alien Conquest, etc) has been a sham. Bad colors to start and usually bad design. Some of Space Police 3 (non-alien) was okay.

Blacktron 1 was the most incredible LEGO theme ever. I once wanted to design an RTS based on Blacktron 1 vs Futuron. I had origin stories and motives. The last thing I wanted with Blacktron 1 was a complete universe expansion and giving all the heads an updated treatment for personalities/crew. Large bases and transport ships. *Lots of day dreaming*

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Based on info over at Eurobricks that the set descriptions are already on the German Amazon site, I've found all five. Did a Google search for "site:amazon.de LEGO 7070x". Obviously, the translations aren't great, since it's just the Google Translator...

70700 Space Swarmer (translation from German: Space Beetles)
The evil alien beetle-like insect buzzing in his space-beetle in the Galaxy! Do not let that captures the robot the Galaxy squad with the mouth parts of the beetle! Help him to escape with his jetpack out of the reach of the sound cannon of the insect! Get yourself to safety, take the space bug to target and turn it off with your blaster! Includes 2 minifigures with weapons: beetle insect-like alien and robot Ages 7 and up.

70701 Swarm Interceptor (translation form German: defensive jet)
A dangerous alien races mosquito zoom on its space plane! Holding that creepy critter on together with the leader of the blue team, Solomon Blaze, and the divisible defense-Jet! If the fight goes out of control, the Abwehrjet the Galaxy squad are divided into 2 machines: an agile flier with removable missiles and a powerful gun turret with camouflaged missiles! Against the divisible Abwehrjet with Solomon Blaze in the cockpit, the alien insects have no chance! Includes 2 minifigures and appropriate weapon: Solomon Blaze and alien mosquito. Ages 7 and up.

70702 Warp Stinger (translation from German: mosquito)
Holding the insect alien on board the Space furchterrregenden mosquitoes! He used the surplus function of the space mosquitoes to attack the heroes of the Galaxy squad. Make the Alien with the leader of the red team, Billy and his Speeder Starbeam harmless! Beware of sticky cocoon-case of space Mosquitoes beware! Exhort from the detachable blaster and try using the robot to free the galaxy from these oversized pests! The space, with its cocoon mosquito trap, the moving wings, the removable bullets and the shooter feature a very dangerous opponent. Includes 3 minifigures and appropriate weapon: Billy Starbeam, robot henchman with Jetpack and alien mosquito with wings. Ages 8 and up.

70703 Space Mantis
The Space Mantis has taken with her nimble grasshopper legs tracking the Galaxy squad teams. Holding onto the space of the Mantis aliens before Solomon Blaze and his blue robots get into his mouth sting! Parts of the vehicle Galaxy squad in an armored car and an agile flier on! Beware of the launcher and the sticky cocoon of space Mantis care! Includes 3 minifigures: Solomon Blaze, blue robot henchman and exclusive red insect Alien From 7 years.

70704 Vermin Vaporizer (translation from German: robot special buggy)
Space Scorpion hastetmit its cocoon behind the green hero of Galaxy Squad! Set to Help the leader of the Green Team, Chuck Stone Breaker and his green robot here, the critter with the ScRobo special laboratory incapacitated! Bring the alien invader in trouble by you split the robot specialized laboratory in a powerful robot and an armored lab! Translate Chuck Stonebreaker in the cockpit of the robot and fire powerful missiles and rockets into the double-Alien! In a special laboratory, you can then examine the alien insect. Includes 3 minifigures: Chuck Stone Breaker, Green Robot and alien insect Í all with matching weapons. Ages 8 and up.

70705 Bug Obliterator (translation from German: Command Shuttle)
Dangerous space dragonfly tries to capture the heroes of the Orange Galaxy squad in a cocoon prison. Fly with the command shuttle and the heroes of the Orange team, Jack and Ashlee StarStrider Fireblade! The vehicle can be a button in a rugged utility vehicle and split a manoeuvrable space ship that brings the insects from the top in distress! Exhort from the camouflaged missiles and laser cannons to repel these alien creatures! Includes 3 minifigures: Jack Fireblade, Ashlee StarStrider and alien insect with wings, weapons and cocoon. Ages 8 and up.

Draykov
I'm New !

Post by Draykov » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for the update, Vyn. With any luck, this theme will last a wave or two beyond the first and we'll see team leaders for yellow, black and white. I can't say I'm too thrilled about the Alpha-Team/Ninjago-like approach to make the characters anything other than nameless space adventurers (sounds like we'll be lucky to get one color figure in each set and a bunch of rainbow robots), but it's all in good fun and if the torso designs are cool, I can easily overlook that. Anything that hearkens back to the old CS days will make me happy.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Draykov wrote:I can't say I'm too thrilled about the Alpha-Team/Ninjago-like approach to make the characters anything other than nameless space adventurers...
I know what you mean. With all the talk about LEGO Friends and their research on how girls like rich backstories for the figures, it seems they found out boys like that too.
Anything that hearkens back to the old CS days will make me happy.
According to Mark Stafford (Nabii) in a comment over at Brickset, after his name was brought up in reference to the design of the Mosquito fighter:
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I worked on Chima. However there is a new AFOL spacer at the LEGO design studio who worked on the line and he and the other designers did a fantastic job. It all looks awesome, I will be buying it all.
So it appears the theme is in good hands. If it's good enough for Mark, it's good enough for me! ;-)

Kez
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Kez » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:20 am

Oh sorry about that other thread,I didn't see this thread, I had only just found out about that galaxy squad picture

Draykov
I'm New !

Post by Draykov » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:22 pm

No idea if there is any legitimacy to this, but a site in the Netherlands has a few additional set numbers listed for this theme (at the very least, I think we can say the set names are not final). Thanks to CM4S over at Eurobricks for the tip-off. Most are slated for August 2013 while the "walker" is slated for April along with the rest of the first wave.

70706 Galaxy Squad
70707 "
70708 "
70709 "
30230 Galaxy Walker