Will there be more prince of persia sets coming?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Will there be more prince of persia sets coming?

Post by bluemitch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm

I just got the ostrich race and its fantastic set with the new ostriches. Is lego planning on doing more prince of persia sets in the near future? I don't really know much about prince of persia other than a movie is coming out in may. I really like the sets cause they better than indiana jones.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Will there be more prince of persia sets coming?

Post by hatcher » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 am

It will depend on two things. If the movie does well, and if the sets sell well. Sets based on a movie have a limited window of opportunity. Quite frankly I was surprised that Lego put out that Crystal Skull set last year, the cemetary battle, considering how the movie was recieved. The only thing I can assume is that the other sets sold well enough during the initial run of Crystal Skull sets that another addition to the line was warranted.

The Prince of Persia sets look good (at least from what I've seen on line) so they might sell well. But if the movie bombs, I really don't think we'd see any more sets. See the Speed Racer line.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm

hatcher wrote:It will depend on two things. If the movie does well, and if the sets sell well. Sets based on a movie have a limited window of opportunity. Quite frankly I was surprised that Lego put out that Crystal Skull set last year, the cemetary battle, considering how the movie was recieved. The only thing I can assume is that the other sets sold well enough during the initial run of Crystal Skull sets that another addition to the line was warranted.

The Prince of Persia sets look good (at least from what I've seen on line) so they might sell well. But if the movie bombs, I really don't think we'd see any more sets. See the Speed Racer line.
Good points there. From the trailers, its very exciting. Lets all hope the movie is good so we can expect to see more Prince of Persia sets.

Racers aren't too popular compared to other themes, so there was actually no point in getting a license for speed racer to start with.

Zithy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Zithy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:07 am

bluemitch wrote:I just got the ostrich race and its fantastic set with the new ostriches. Is lego planning on doing more prince of persia sets in the near future? I don't really know much about prince of persia other than a movie is coming out in may. I really like the sets cause they better than indiana jones.
The 5 PoP sets that are out now are the only ones for this run. I'm talking the boxed sets - magnet sets don't count or the little bagged sets.

If you like them, you better get them :)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 am

funnypeople wrote:Good points there. From the trailers, its very exciting. Lets all hope the movie is good so we can expect to see more Prince of Persia sets.
The only trailer I saw made it seem like a sequel to the Brendan Fraisier "Mummy" franchise, but that takes itself too seriously. The action looks good, but
Racers aren't too popular compared to other themes, so there was actually no point in getting a license for speed racer to start with.
The new 'World Racers' looks like a cool theme, but yeah - the current theme wasn't too appealing to me. It was kinda like matchbox cars that you had to put together. I think Speed Racer sets suffered from the poor box office showing, which suffered from the HUGELY negative press it got - but to me, the movie was awesome, and had I been into LEGO at the time, I would've picked the sets up in a heartbeat. Now they're hard to find and very expensive when you do...
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Tue May 11, 2010 11:16 am

vynsane wrote:
funnypeople wrote: Racers aren't too popular compared to other themes, so there was actually no point in getting a license for speed racer to start with.
The new 'World Racers' looks like a cool theme, but yeah - the current theme wasn't too appealing to me. It was kinda like matchbox cars that you had to put together. I think Speed Racer sets suffered from the poor box office showing, which suffered from the HUGELY negative press it got - but to me, the movie was awesome, and had I been into LEGO at the time, I would've picked the sets up in a heartbeat. Now they're hard to find and very expensive when you do...
World Racers is much cooler compared to the speed racer movie base. Speeder Racer wasn't selling too well and they have been clearance long time ago.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Sat May 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Anyone going to watch the movie? Its coming out on the 28 of may.

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I can't seem to get myself interested in the Prince of Persia line. I don't know if its the fact that I blame the line for Indy's death or if its the fact that I have only ever played one Prince of Persia game.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun May 23, 2010 8:19 am

yankeeken wrote:I can't seem to get myself interested in the Prince of Persia line. I don't know if its the fact that I blame the line for Indy's death or if its the fact that I have only ever played one Prince of Persia game.
I'm only interested in the PoP line for the possibilities of extending the IJ line - some of the parts/buildings/figures could fit right in with the IJ sets. The head from Asoka could totally be Sallah, f'rinstance. You just need an extra Fez from 'Venice Canal Chase'!

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Sun May 23, 2010 3:05 pm

legogeek wrote:Anyone going to watch the movie? Its coming out on the 28 of may.
I like the scenes so far such as quest against time so I'll watch it to see what its like.

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:02 am

What are your thoughts on the after market of these sets after they are discontinued?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 am

There are a lot of unique pieces and figures in these sets, so the aftermarket could become relatively heated for these. The metallic and pearl gold colored pieces are relatively unique to these sets and some other themes (the new Kingdoms sets will use that color as well).

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 pm

slimninj4 wrote:What are your thoughts on the after market of these sets after they are discontinued?
The aftermarket competition will most likely be intense, but I doubt that its because of the actual sets themselves. Rather it will be for the pieces that are most unique to the sets. Those pieces that come to mind specifically are the new arch pieces that were introduced, although they will probably turn up elsewhere in the near future. The pearl gold domes will be highly sought after. The sets they are included in are not exactly cheap, Battle of Alamut and the Bazaar. The doors from the Battle of Alamut are pretty awesome, as well as being new and introduced in that set.

Some more common pieces that will be sought after (but much cheaper) will be:

The katana holder
Dastan's Hair
Princess Tamina (Can't remember her name)
The chestpieces from the Hassassins, as well as their hats
Camels and Ostriches

That's what comes to mind right about now.

As for the issue of the entire topic: I don't think they will release any more. The only chance we would get is if they did a sequel (they will...its a sad state of Hollywood that any movie that does halfway decent and has enough CGI gets a sequel.) So two three years from now, look forward to more PoP.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:34 pm

So far, the box office has been disappointing, so I'm not sure a sequel or more sets are likely.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:31 pm

TClone wrote:So far, the box office has been disappointing, so I'm not sure a sequel or more sets are likely.
The whole Memorial day weekend box office was a disappointment. School is going to be out soon for most of the US within the next few weeks, starting as early as this week. Once those kids are out they'll swarm the theaters. That's talking from personal experience too! Haha. I'm sure there will be a sequel and with the PoP sets selling like hotcakes its assured that LEGO would pick up another movie for sure. They'd have to get a new Jake Gyllenhal minifig though. I've got a few of him already.

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:41 am

I am on the fence for this movie. I will wait for netflix to get it in 4-6 months.
As for the sets, if they discontinue them quickly I think they will go up in price aftermarket. Maybe not at MF levels but a nice increase.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

slimninj4 wrote:I am on the fence for this movie. I will wait for netflix to get it in 4-6 months.
As for the sets, if they discontinue them quickly I think they will go up in price aftermarket. Maybe not at MF levels but a nice increase.
The movie was decent enough that I would see a sequel. I'd hope they go a more video game story route though. I mean I want a Vizier to be the main enemy and transform everyone into horrible sand monsters :D

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 pm

I like the idea of variant Dastan figures and maybe an expanded version of the Brickmaster set.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm

I think the Battle of Alamut set loots pretty good, Ive always liked big fortress sets! Hopefully it'll go on sale around Christmas! If the line does discontinue after one run, you can bet the Nizam and Seso minifigs will be super expensive! :mrgreen:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:12 pm

DarthPaka wrote:I think the Battle of Alamut set loots pretty good, Ive always liked big fortress sets! Hopefully it'll go on sale around Christmas! If the line does discontinue after one run, you can bet the Nizam and Seso minifigs will be super expensive! :mrgreen:
As soon as I found Battle of Alamut I jumped on it for the Seso figure. For some reason I just seem to miss all of the black minifigs. The set itself is absolutely incredible. They could have easily have priced it at $100 and I would've gladly paid. Thanks for the break LEGO!

As for the new Dastan minifig: they probably should have made another for this series. At least they threw in the shirtless beefed up torso though. The previous set it came in (the Indy Jones set) was too expensive for my tastes.