Gold C3-P0?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Legohno
I'm New !

Gold C3-P0?

Post by Legohno » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all I'm new here, not much of a "forum" type of person. I've been a Lego fan for years, but I just recently started collecting... I guess buying Lego's for my kids sparked the old flame back up :lol: Anyway I recently came across this and I'm not sure about buying it so I figured I should join a forum and ask the experts.

It's not an official "Lego" but do you guys think it's worth adding to a collection? I think it's pretty cool :cool: And certainly more obtainable than the real deal!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102587562/2 ... h_type=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Re: Gold C3-P0?

Post by nick91884 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 am

Pretty cool for the novelty of it, but it wont add any practical value to your lego collection.

If you are willing to spend $100 on one of these though it might be worth saving the cash towards the real deal which can be had on ebay for around $350
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Do you have a TC 14? Those are similar and much more attainable/cheaper.

That gold plated one is a good conversation piece but I'd prefer to spend a hundred bucks on a set I don't have.

samiam391
I'm New !

Post by samiam391 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:36 pm

It depends on what you are substituting this custom figure for. If it's for the Chrome C-3PO (1/10,500), then it may just be better to spend $300 to get one NIB.
If you are looking to replace the solid gold C-3PO (5 in existence), then this is well worth your while (although I'm not a huge fan of that custom), considering the solid gold would go for a debate-able $10,000-50,000. I know one person who has one from a conversation we had, and he's looking to sell soon to pay for his son's college. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for when it goes up for auction (probably, and unfortunately, a private one)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 am

samiam391 wrote:It depends on what you are substituting this custom figure for. If it's for the Chrome C-3PO (1/10,500), then it may just be better to spend $300 to get one NIB.
If you are looking to replace the solid gold C-3PO (5 in existence), then this is well worth your while (although I'm not a huge fan of that custom), considering the solid gold would go for a debate-able $10,000-50,000. I know one person who has one from a conversation we had, and he's looking to sell soon to pay for his son's college. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for when it goes up for auction (probably, and unfortunately, a private one)
How many ounces of gold is in it? .

samiam391
I'm New !

Post by samiam391 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 am

slacker wrote:
samiam391 wrote:It depends on what you are substituting this custom figure for. If it's for the Chrome C-3PO (1/10,500), then it may just be better to spend $300 to get one NIB.
How many ounces of gold is in it? .
It's solid 14K gold, which is alone worth several thousand. However, it's the scarcity of the figure (that there being only 5 available), which makes it worth an estimated 10,000-50,000.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

$50k seems extreme. You figure maybe 3 oz of gold. So let's just say $5k worth of gold. Is scarcity worth $5k? It does happen on coins where scarcity does in fact carry more weight than actual gold content. But this is lego we are talking about.

samiam391
I'm New !

Post by samiam391 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm

slacker wrote:$50k seems extreme. You figure maybe 3 oz of gold. So let's just say $5k worth of gold. Is scarcity worth $5k? It does happen on coins where scarcity does in fact carry more weight than actual gold content. But this is lego we are talking about.
Yes, the gold is worth roughly that amount. However, it is the scarcity, and yes it does carry a lot more weight than actual gold. Just think about those collectors out there that collect EVERYTHING Star Wars. They will drop hundreds... thousands.. of dollars to get that ONE item that's not in their collection. It's hard for someone like you or me, average collectors, to fathom. But these people collect EVERYTHING and will not be satisfied until they really do have it all. So think about it, competing against several other such collectors, the price will sky rocket. There are only 5, and really, how many are going to actually be sold? So if they get the opportunity, they won't hold back. I can totally see 50k being dropped here.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:56 am

slacker wrote:$50k seems extreme. You figure maybe 3 oz of gold. So let's just say $5k worth of gold. Is scarcity worth $5k? It does happen on coins where scarcity does in fact carry more weight than actual gold content. But this is lego we are talking about.

Ehh 50K? Legos are highly collectible, but I think like more of the range of 10K. Were talking 1 mini fig here and C3P0. Its not like its a foot tall Boba Fett. Even if you sell it with the best of the best your only going to be looking at maybe 15K and than being raked over the coals in fees. Its a great get, but lets not over hype something that hardly anyone knows about.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:53 am

Kodiak10 wrote:

Ehh 50K? Legos are highly collectible, but I think like more of the range of 10K. Were talking 1 mini fig here and C3P0. Its not like its a foot tall Boba Fett. Even if you sell it with the best of the best your only going to be looking at maybe 15K and than being raked over the coals in fees. Its a great get, but lets not over hype something that hardly anyone knows about.
You are both right. This is a very unique item with only 5 in the world. The price is just what the next buyer will pay. It's more like a house where you can make justifications in every corner but the fact is it will sell at the price of what the next buyer is willing to pay. It could be 10k or it could be 100k or even a million. No one knows for sure. It's not like buying a bottle of wine or something rare but still plentiful. For that, you always have markets to tell you what the price is. Give or take a few percentage differences for desperate buyers or sellers. Even golden c3po (the gold paint version) may seem rare and expensive but there are enough of them and enough buyers and sellers for the price to stick. It fluctuates with either motivated buyer or seller but it's not like multiple times different.

The only way to get the best price here is through auction. Advertise the sale and wait for bidders to fight over the price. It's just like any rare goods. And I don't mean eBay type auctions. I meant more like Sotheby's but of course it hasn't yet reach the status of work of arts so I kinda doubt they will take this on. Lol. I never seen them take on a 50k sale before.

samiam391
I'm New !

Post by samiam391 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:58 am

I'm not saying it's going to reach 50k definitely @kodiak10, but it's my guess. Everyone has their guesses. I know I'm probably way off when I say that number, but it's my best guess as to what the item would go for in a private auction. Like @natelite said, it could go to 10k, or 100k.
Until one actually does go up for auction, no one can give it a fair shake on as to what it will actually go for in an auction. But we can give it our best guess ;-)