Ninjago to be discontinued in 2013

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
tong
Peasant
Peasant

Ninjago to be discontinued in 2013

Post by tong » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Some interesting news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEEyKhe ... e=g-user-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catch me weekly on Beyond the Brick podcast at Brickpodcast.com

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Re: Ninjago to be discontinued in 2013

Post by BrickGarurumon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm

NO WAY!

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 pm

What? 2nd most profitable theme, yet it's discontinued. Sounds like making money isn't on top of Legos list.

Lforcey
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Lforcey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 pm

This REALLY bothers me. I'm not buying "we'll be wishing they ended it sooner". I have two little boys who go absolutely ape everytime something new of Ninjago comes out or a new episode was on. What part of the shelves being wiped clean instantaneously isn't good enough to keep it going? You go through the schools and the kids are CRAZY about this line. We have two NInajago-themed birthday parties we're going to this weekend. If this turns out to be true, we may be done with Lego. I just can't let my kids get emotionally invested in something to have this happen again.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Interesting news - I wonder why they made this decision if it's the second-most selling product?

Lforcey - unfortunately, that's the way it is with LEGO. Only Star Wars has been a perennial theme, others generally wax and wane. The fact that Ninjago has had three years (counting next years wave/s) is pretty astounding, in light of other action themes that have had one or two waves spanning a year, year and a half (Space Police, Power Miners, Alien Conquest, Pharaoh's Quest, probably Monster Fighters). Do your kids collect anything other than Ninjago? I know my daughter would be incredibly upset if they stopped producing Friends sets, but she also enjoys the Castle/Kingdoms and City themes, so she wouldn't be completely done with LEGO were that to happen (which, eventually, it probably will).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 pm

My son will be very disappointed to hear this, too. I haven't yet met a boy between the ages of 5 and 9 who doesn't love Ninjago. I understand that kids will inevitably age out of certain lines, but it still seems like too short a run for this one. vynsane, I understand your point out about Space Police et al. but I thought LEGO had a bigger investment in Ninjago what with the development and popularity of the animated show. That kind of product support for a line lasting only a couple years seems odd to me.

On the other hand, I now have so many Ninjago sets hidden around the house that I picked up on sale/clearance over the past 6 mos. - including a Lightning Dragon that I'm saving for this Christmas - we can probably stretch out new NInjago gifts over the next several years!

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm

A well developed Ninjago set in the future on CUUSOO could garner enough support to be made. With fans being able to express their interest and show their builds and ideas I don't think any line is really dead anymore.

Lego has done a pretty good job branching out to all possibilities with Ninjago. It has sets, gear, DVDs, clocks, and comics. Not many lines can say that. I'll be glad the Ninjago line is gone and wonder what will come next. My fear for all of you is the aftermarket prices on some of the sets are going to be unbelievable.

Jared

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm

legogod wrote:My fear for all of you is the aftermarket prices on some of the sets are going to be unbelievable.
You mean something like $20 sets listed for 3 (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=2260-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to 5 times (http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-Drag ... ative=9325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that price?

It will be interesting to see what happens. If ninjago is just a fad, then the aftermarket prices will likely come back down to earth somewhat after the theme is discontinued (and the cross-marketing with cartoons, dvd's and comics dies down). OTOH, the spinner aspect is unique, so they may stay in demand after discontinuation. Time will tell.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 am

Hunh. I'm going to guess the designers needed a break. Give it a year or two and they'll be back with fresh ideas.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I bet legend of Zelda is replacing it. Maybe they plan to do a cartoon theme too.

mooslug
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by mooslug » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm gonna call it. LEGO Adventure Time. The show is huge, and LEGO already has a relationship with Cartoon Network.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking...

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 am

I still am not in to this theme, but I respect the fans. I do believe that Ninjago would be the #1 selling theme if they did keep some product on the shelf. Usually when I'm at Target, I see Ninjago wiped clean. Maybe there is a sales glitch which shows that the sets are not selling as well as they like while disregarding the fact they don't have it in stock. I can't come up with any other logic.

Why take away a theme that is selling out stock? They put a lot of planning in to this theme with the show. It could be this generation's Transformers G1 and will remain interested.

LEGO must have something planned that is huge to transition Ninjago fans to something else. Although that's a big risk. When I look at all the versions of Transformers, nothing really compares to the original and it's only very successful when it has G1 similarities. (By the way, Masterpiece Soundwave with Laserbeak was announced! He's my favorite character and will become my toy centerpiece. With G1 tape compatibility, this thing rocks.)

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 am

I thought the same thing when they discontinued Bionicle...I don't like the line, but isn't too profitable to kill? So we might be looking at something similar here.