First photo of Minifigures Series 8

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

Which Series 7 Minifigure(s) are your favorites?

Actor
16%
Pirates Captain
7%
Conquistador
7%
Evil Robot
13%
Alien Villainess
7%
Diver
9%
Vampire Bat
11%
Fairy
7%
Football Player
4%
Businessman
2%
Downhill Skier
2%
Red Cheerleader
No votes
Santa
7%
Lederhosen Guy
2%
DJ
4%
Cowgirl
2%

Total votes: 45

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: First photo of Minifigures Series 8

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am

meh...this might be the first series I don't get any of.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:29 am

Wow they recycled a lot for this series.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:38 am

I dig them. I still need to catch up on these. Here we get Watson and me still without a Holmes!

I like that we're getting a black version of the manbat from Vampyre Castle, the Pirate Captain looks great. As a huge fan of Alien Conquest, I'm happy to see the alien overlord back - this time with a trans-purple brain! The Evil Robot looks like it's got some great printing going on, and I like the ski bunny as well - that head easily translates to some cool sci-fi stuff. My daughter will want the fairy - is it a tooth fair, fairy godmother? Whatever she is, it won't matter, she'll want it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 am

Very excited about the Black Derby, the Elizabethan ruff, and the Santa Hat (FINALLY).

The overall figures, not so much- but am sure I will be just as obsessed when they come out.

zhouston
I'm New !

Post by zhouston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah... not the greatest. The alien is cool, and maybe santa and the deep sea harpooner but otherwise nothing special

jtwhatley
I'm New !

Post by jtwhatley » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:35 am

Football player and Santa! YESSS! :-D :eek: :-D :eek:

MakoSlade
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MakoSlade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:57 am

Looks good! Even the repetative ones look cool (Skier, DJ, Robot, Cheerleader).

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am

Love the black bowler/derby hat on the Watson-esque fig. They put glasses on the head though! I wonder what that ones official name is?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 am

Well, recycles aside, the new ones look great. I'm in.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am

Series 8 looks great, gotta start saving for that black box... in addition to all the new star wars and hobbits.

starfire2
Knight
Knight

Post by starfire2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 am

I respectively disagree. I think this is the worst series ever. Alien commander ?! Really?! Another skier, just different coloring. Another cheerleader, different color. Another robot like series 1? Just a different color? I can only see 4 I might be interested in ( Fairy, Black man-bat, kid with record, and German guy with pretzel).

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

I think LEGO is doing a good job of balancing things. They are putting a little of everything for different buyers in each batch.

For collectors, they have a few new unique figs and new elements never made before.

I know some complain about having a male and female version, but I think there are people out there that want both or just want one of a specific gender. Not just boys buy these.

People that missed out on earlier series. I really wanted the robot from series one, but not at the aftermarket prices. This robot may be a "female" version.

The bat creature is from the very expensive Vampire set which a lot of people won't get because of cost. Most of the creatures in collection series were reused for Monster Fighters, but they are still different even if slightly.

They also take care of people that want stuff from themes that are not currently available (i.e. pirate, cowboy).

They also make figures that add to existing sets such as the Alien "Queen" is a great companion to the Alien Commander. If someone didn't get the Alien Conquest set with him, they can get the queen one.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and has their own interests, but I think LEGO is doing a good job of balancing things. IMO most people should find at least few they really want from this series. LEGO should slow down (once a year or 2) after this series.

EDIT: I read that the robot is the "evil" version. Awesome. Now only if they come out with zombie like in series 1, maybe female. I know a zombie set is coming out, but they aren't as good as the series 1 zombie. Series 1 is only set I'm missing due to high aftermarket prices.
Last edited by dilbert12 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

jmjm
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jmjm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 am

I'm fairly relieved there aren't a ton of these that I want. Having gotten onto the CMF bandwagon fairly late, I'm glad to find one of those bucket-headed robots in this series. I totally missed series 1!

Conquistador is lovely, I'll definitely want a Watson to go with my Sherlock, and the pirate captain looks awesome. I'll probably grab the cowgirl, as I spend a lot of time in Calgary, Canada. The Hamlet-looking guy is nice for medieval sets -- a dude who is neither knight, peasant, or king!

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am

Great point, @dilbert12. Having only full collections from S5-now, I find little that I don't like about any of the series. While I may have a few that I would rather have and a few that I might not care much about, there's no such thing as a bad collection of 16 minifigs as far as I'm concerned. ;-)

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am

Lots of recycling but I like whats new! Always up for new lego food with the lederhosen guy, Shakespeare and watson figures look great. Football player (no pads?), Diver, Pirate, Santa, Fairy, Conquistador and dj are also on my wants as well! pretty good selection!
The recycling from series 1 is cool for those of us that missed out on the first CMF series. Recycling from alien conquest after they just killed it, very weird, and the man-bat thing is the same from the monster fighters castle except in black so those two are the most disappointing of the set IMO.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 pm

I'll buy them all to still keep the collection going, but man.. they need to imagine some more!!

Can we get a DC/Marvel Minifigures series ? LOL, 8 and 8!!

Oh and if they keep adding Skiiers i swear the MMO based off CMF will be more of a ski resort game.

Relhak
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Relhak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Santa and the skier will be just in time for my annual xmas/winter display. The first cheerleader was popular, so I imagine this one will be too. Same with the robot, which I really want. I'm sure my daughter will want lots of the faeries. Maybe the cowgirl too. The alien commander queen is pretty cool; at a bare minimum, the dress might be awesome to reuse on a human/witch. Take away the pretzel (cool new food item in its own), and you have a good medieval villager. I'm not liking the EDM kid, hockey player and whatever the guy in in suit is.

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Post by UnknownUser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Lego should definitely slow down on releasing these. I don't have any S7 figs yet :sad:

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:16 pm

oocaleb101oo wrote: Can we get a DC/Marvel Minifigures series ? LOL, 8 and 8!!
That's brilliant! However, there are 2 possible reasons they won't or can't do that.

1) LEGO is in the business to sell bricks/sets. This would hurt that side of the business if they sold highly sought super hero/villain figs that way.

2) Possible licensing/legal conflict as we saw with Hasbro and Star Wars minifigs.

That said, if #2 is not an issue, they could put 2nd tier heroes and villains or variations of the main ones. Polybags is also an option as I know they have Marvel polybags with Thor in it. Not sure if they can do that with DC though.

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

They've had a Batman poly so why not.

A Superhero CMF series sounds great to me, I'd probably be after quite a few depending on who they included, and I could see it selling like absolutely crazy