LotR Sets I Would Like to See!

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

LotR Sets I Would Like to See!

Post by Deathleech » Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 pm

So far the Lord of the Rings line up looks AMAZING! I haven't bought a Lego set in years, but after learning about the new LotR sets coming out I am super excited to get my hands on all of them!

Of course after seeing the initial sets coming out I immediately thought of all the future possibilities with this license. I realize LEGO is already brainstorming/working on some of these ideas and has a lot of plans for the license. I also realize I have a TON of sets below, some of which would most likely never get made. If the line is popular enough like the Star Wars one, I'm sure we will see many more sets though! Anyways, without further ado, here is what I would LOVE to see...

Wave 2

The Shire
MSRP: $19.99
MiniFigures: Bilbo, Frodo, Samwise
A pretty simple set, this would be the home where Frodo and Bilbo live. It would include an older Bilbo, Frodo, and Samwise, along with a small rendition of their home built in the ground.

The Black Gates
MSRP: $24.99
MiniFigures: The Mouth of Sauron w/horse, 1-2 Mordor Orcs(?), 1 Mountain Troll(?)
For the sake of having a cheaper set in this wave, they could throw in the Black Gates. This would be a pretty simple set consisting of just a gate piece and a couple mini figures. They could also make the set link with other Black Gate sets, so if you want you could buy multiples.

Warg Ambush
MSRP: $29.99
MiniFigures: 2-3 Moria Orcs, 2-3 Wargs, 1 Aragorn(?), 1 Eowyn(?), 1-2 Rohirrium soldier, 3 horses
I could see this set going one of two ways. It could include some rock outcroppings and boulders, or even a cliff and be more of an actual set and include some named characters like Aragorn and/or Eowyn and have less overall figures. Alternately it could be more of an army builder set, in which case it wouldn't have many set pieces and would focus more on the Orcs/Wargs and ideally would just have no name Rohirrium Soldiers as the "good guy" characters.

Battle the Balrog
MSRP: $49.99
MiniFigures: Gandalf the Gray, Balrog, 3 Moria Orcs (?)
This set would depict the epic show down between Gandalf the Gray and the mighty Balrog. It would most likely include some crumbling runic steps with a long thin bridge that could break away in the middle. The set could also include a few Moria Orcs, and possibly one or two of the Fellowship members who aren't featured in many of the other sets depending on the price point of this set.

Seeking the Undead
MSRP: $59.99
MiniFigures: Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, 2 Undead, 1 King of the Undead
This one would be inside the mountains where Aragorn and company seek out the Undead so they can fulfill their oath made long ago and have their curse lifted. This set could have bone and skull piles all over and a small part of the city where the undead reside along with the King and a few undead soldiers. Of course these figures would have to glow in the dark ;-)

Saruman's Tower
MSRP: $99.99
MiniFigures: Pippin, Merry, Treebeard, 1-2 Ents, 3 Mordor Orcs, Saruman
This would be a set modeled after the Ent attack on Saruman's Tower. Of course the focal point would be Sauruman's Tower, but it could also include some wall pieces and siege weapons the orcs have built. Saruman's Tower could open up so you could also /seeuse the inside.

Army Builders
The following would be strictly army builder sets consisting soley of figures.

Riders of Rohan
MSRP: $14.99
MiniFigures: 4 Rohirrium Soldiers, 1 horse

Orcs and Trolls
MiniFigures: 3 Moria Orcs, 1 Cave Troll
Last edited by Deathleech on Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am, edited 7 times in total.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LotR Sets YOU Would Like to See!

Post by Deathleech » Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Wave 3

Battle Overhead
MiniFigures: Nazgul, Fell Beast, Great Eagle, Gandalf the White(?)
This set could also be treated as sort of an army builder if it didn't include Gandalf the White. It could have a Nazgul on Fell Beast, a Great Eagle, and could include a small piece of Minas Tirith wall to add to the Minas Tirith sets sort of like the Uruk-Hai Army set has walls to add to Helm's Deep.

Mount Doom
MSRP: $29.99
MiniFigures: Frodo, Samwise, Gollum
This set would be pretty simple and straight forward. It's pretty iconic and the final conclusion to the War of the Ring. The set would of consist of a volcanic mountain play set(Mount Doom), Frodo, Samwise, and Gollum.

Sauron's Tower
MSRP: $79.99
MiniFigures: Sauron, 5 Mordor Orcs
Possibly the only set to feature Sauron, this would be his tower. Of course it would include his all seeing at the very top. Like Saruman's Tower, this one could open up to reveal the inside. Since there would already be tons of sets with Frodo and Sam, and since they are the only two good guy characters to ever really visit the tower, I figure they could sit out to make room for more Mordor Orcs.

Minas Tirith
Since Minas Tirith is such a grand and enormous city, I figure they could split it into upper and lower city sets to cut down the cost. This way it would be more affordable for people who may only want one piece and not the other, or for people who want to space out blowing huge chunks of cash on them. I mean they could easily make another 400 dollar Death Star set out of Minas Tirith, but this seems much more flexible. Just make it so the sets interlock together! Now, with that said:

Lower Minas Tirith
MSRP: $129.99
MiniFigures: King Theoden, Eowyn, Merry, 2 Rohirrium Soldiers, Witchking, Mountain Troll, 2 Mordor Orcs, 4 horses
This set would only include the lowest level on Minas Tirith and the gates to it. It would mostly focus on the bottom seige of Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields. It would include a couple ladders and siege weapons for the orcs, and several good characters to combat them.

Upper Minas Tirith
MiniFigures: Faramir, Gandalf the White, Pippin, 3 Gondor Soldiers, 1 Nazgul, 1 Fell Beats, 2 Mordor Orcs
This set would focus more on the actual city of Minas Tirith. It would include the very top tier with the Citadel and courtyard with the White Tree. It would also have one or two tiers of walls below that with a couple trebuchets (catapults).

Army Builders

Rangers and Elves
MiniFigures: 2 Rangers, 2 Elves, 1 horse

Men of the South
MiniFigures: 3 Haradrim, 1 Mumalik
Last edited by Deathleech on Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LotR Sets YOU Would Like to See!

Post by Deathleech » Sun May 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Wave 4

Watcher In the Water
MSRP: $49.99
MiniFigures: Frodo, Samwise, Pippin, Merry, Aragorn
This set would be a small wall with the entrance into the Mines of Moria, and a formation of water outside where the Kraken attacks the Fellowship. the Kraken could be a soldi plastic figure, or more likely would be like Shelob and a piece made out of Lego bricks. If it were the ladder the tentacles would be able to bend all over and grasp the mini figures much like the Kraken down it the movie (and parts could be removed like when they get cut off in the movie as well!).

Battle of Osigiliath
MSRP: $59.99
MiniFigures: Faramir, 2 Gondor Soldiers, 3 Mordor Orcs
This set would capture the scene where Faramir is sent with his company of soldiers to try and attack/defend Osigiliath. The set would include a staircase or two and mostly be made up of crumbling arches and pillars.

Forming of the Fellowship
MiniFigures: Elrond, Arwen, Boromir, Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, Frodo, Gandalf the Gray
This would be a set that is modeled after Revendell. It would include Elvish city with a waterfall in the back, and the area the council meets to decide what to do with the ring. You will probably notice I didn't include Merry, Pippin, and Samwise in this set and that was intentional to keep the amount of mini figuers lower, and also because they are already in a number of other sets as is.

Army Builders

Gondors Soldiers
MiniFigures: 4 Gondor Soldiers, 1 horse

Men of the East
MiniFigurers: 5 Easterling Warriors

More Wave 4 sets coming soon ;-)
Last edited by Deathleech on Wed May 09, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal4u2c
Citizen
Citizen

Re: LotR Sets I Would Like to See!

Post by jal4u2c » Sun May 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Love your ideas so far! I am right there with you! However, i find it hard to believe you left out one awesome set - Rivendell! If they did it on the same scale as how you describe Minis Tirith, it would be a beautiful set!

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I actually did forget Rivendell. Mostly because no major battles happen there, at least not in the LotR films which Lego seems to be basing most their sets off to begin with. Granted I included some other sets that aren't really big combat scenes like the Shire, but I added those mostly so there were some cheaper sets in each wave and to round them out.

I will probably add Rivendell to Wave 4 now that you mention it though ;)
Last edited by Deathleech on Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal4u2c
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jal4u2c » Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Besides, it's a crucial set to the whole trilogy...the formation of the Fellowship. That's what they could call the set, The Fellowship of the Ring. It would be kind of like the Death Star set is to the Star Wars brand. They could add lots of minifigs to the set to make Elrond's Council of Middle Earth. Also, how about Minas Morgul and The Battle of Gondor, complete with Eowyn to kill the Lord of the Nazgul, Legolas with elephant attack, and some ghostly colored warriors of the dead. I suppose the insanity of Denathor wouldn't be quite age appropriate for legos. How about a ship set that takes the Elves, Frodo and Bilbo to the Undying Lands?

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 pm

I can almost guarantee the winter/ wave 2 sets will be based on the forthcoming Hobbit movie
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

jal4u2c wrote:That's what they could call the set, The Fellowship of the Ring. It would be kind of like the Death Star set is to the Star Wars brand. They could add lots of minifigs to the set to make Elrond's Council of Middle Earth.
That's actually exactly what I had in mind. By wave 4 I am sure some of the earlier sets would be hard, if not impossible to find, and some of the mini figures might be really tough to get a hold of (like Boromir). Having Rivendell in wave 4 would allow them to re-introduce all the characters from the Fellowship again for anyone who missed out in previous waves, while also adding some new Elven figures like Elrond and Arwen.
jal4u2c wrote:Also, how about Minas Morgul and The Battle of Gondor, complete with Eowyn to kill the Lord of the Nazgul, Legolas with elephant attack, and some ghostly colored warriors of the dead.
That's kind of what I had in mind for Lower Minas Tirith. It would only include the lowest level of Minas Tirith and focus mostly on the battle of Pelennor where Eowyn kills the Witch King and the Rohirrium are clashing against the forces of Sauron. Really you could almost break Minas Tirith up into three sections since that battle is so epic, but there wouldn't really be any play set on the Battle of Pelennor since it's mosty on flat ground.

jal4u2c
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jal4u2c » Mon May 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Ahhh! Here's hoping! LOL Lego, are you listening? :)

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I think you are being a little generous with the number of minifigs per set at the price points you listed.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Mon May 07, 2012 5:19 pm

nick91884 wrote:I can almost guarantee the winter/ wave 2 sets will be based on the forthcoming Hobbit movie
Most likely. Who knows though, maybe they will include a few older LotR themed sets though. I find it really odd they didn't include any of the main evils (Saruman, Sauron) in the first wave. I am thinking they would be the most likely contenders for wave 2 outside of any Hobbit inspired sets.

Luciant wrote:I think you are being a little generous with the number of minifigs per set at the price points you listed.
Probably for some of the sets, yes. I will go back and reevaluate them.

Aragorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Aragorn » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

A set this big would be Awesome:

Minas Tirith
MSRP:$1000.00
Minifigures and Castle Parts: King Theoden, Eomer, 25 Rohirrum Soldiers, Eyowen, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli,
The Witch King, 50 Mordor Orcs, Denethor, Faramir, 25 Gondor Soldiers, 1 Fell Beast, Gothmog, 2 Trolls, 2
Rihno things to pull Grond, 2 Elephants, 10 Eastern Warriors, King of the Dead, 10 Dead Soldiers, Merry, Pippin, and Gandalf the White. Minas Tirith (5 ft.by 5 ft.) 5 Orc Catapults, 2 Siege Towers, 5 Gondor Catapults, Grond, Battering Ram, and 2 Corsiar Ships.

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Sat May 12, 2012 10:53 am

nick91884 wrote:I can almost guarantee the winter/ wave 2 sets will be based on the forthcoming Hobbit movie
I agree. I think the next batch of sets will be Hobbit, not LotR. Maybe one or two sets depending on what the Hobbit has to offer.

I can see them doing Bag-End with the Hobbit instead of LotR since that is where all the Dwarfs and Gandalf meet in the begining. So that would seem to be the best way to get Bag-end currently.

I don't know where they are splitting the story up, but the second half would be more likely to have more interesting battle sets that the first half, so they may supplement the first wave of Hobbit sets with LotR sets to make up for it.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat May 12, 2012 11:22 am

Here are some ideas that are purely Hobbit based.

We will most certainly see a smaugs lair set eventually...but that is 2 movies away still.

I would like to see a set in bag end that has all of the dwarves from the hobbit and bilbo and gandalf before they set out out....Call it The Gathering.

How about a Stone Trolls campsite? Build 3 grey, turned to stone trolls. Bilbo minifig, cook pot with campfire. For a smaller set.

For some reason I feel like Beorn has a good chance to go the way of Tom Bombadill and get left out of the movies...but Beorn's Cabin is a possibility.

How about a goblin and warg battle pack!

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Sat May 12, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm thinking the Hobbit's dwarfs will be like the Fellowship -- you won't get them all in one set. Your'e going to have to get most of them in order to complete the set. Lego is evil that way :lol:

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I'd like to see anything with more (of the already few in-story/in-movie) female characters.

m19

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat May 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Buttmunch wrote:I'm thinking the Hobbit's dwarfs will be like the Fellowship -- you won't get them all in one set. Your'e going to have to get most of them in order to complete the set. Lego is smart that way :lol:
Fixed that for you. You are right.

Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Deathleech » Sat May 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Well the sets so far seem to be based strictly on the movies. There aren't really a ton of major female roles in the films other than Arwyn and Eowyn. Besides those two I can't really think of any major females in LotR.

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 am

All the more reason to include them.

m19

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am

Morgan19 wrote:All the more reason to include them.

m19
If the theme sticks around i'm sure we will see them eventually. Maybe Aowyn at the same time as Elrond when we get a Rivendell set.

Also...she wasn't mentioned. A Galadriel set with her in the garden with the mirror would be sweet.

But the above poster is right, female characters are few and far between in LotR. There are more characters that have a larger role that we will probably see first it would seem. Sauromon, Denethor, treebeard. Maybe even Faramir.