Ninjago and short production runs(Theories here)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Ninjago and short production runs(Theories here)

Post by Kodiak10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:18 pm

My theory from the (2011)1st and (2012)2nd series is 1. Get as many sets out as possible to market knowing in the long run they can make a hefty profit because it's their own license. 2. Spinners are expensive to make for Legos lastibility. 3. Dragon wings are not very economical to produce.

Anyone care to expand or share thoughts? Anyone know of or remember themes like this?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Ninjago and short production runs(Theories here)

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am

I think most sets have short runs besides some Star Wars and maybe City sets. The difference is I think LEGO made the 2011 sets for 6-8 weeks in 2010 and 2011, then stopped to make new sets. Ninjago was more popular than they thought it would be so the stock ran out faster than LEGO had planned. Because LEGO makes so many sets a year now they didn't have time to go back and make more of the sets.

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:I think most sets have short runs besides some Star Wars and maybe City sets. The difference is I think LEGO made the 2011 sets for 6-8 weeks in 2010 and 2011, then stopped to make new sets. Ninjago was more popular than they thought it would be so the stock ran out faster than LEGO had planned. Because LEGO makes so many sets a year now they didn't have time to go back and make more of the sets.
I agree. LEGO didn't anticipate how popular the new snake spinner series would be so the stock that was made sold out fast. I think they probably had the same print run from the beginning, but this is only my guess. Last year's skeleton series wasn't as popular, mostly because word was just getting out about it and the cartoon was short and late in the year. The new cartoon started off strong and got kids hooked quickly.

I know I was scrambling to find all the spinners when I expected to have more than two months to find them. Maybe they are making fewer of each spinner than they would other series, but they do have a lot of different spinners. Most series don't have this many sets.

echobanzai
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by echobanzai » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:48 pm

so are the sets basically sold out then?

i did snag a few snakes and the samurai. i wanted to get more, but i was waiting for a sale.
and now they are gone?

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 am

echobanzai wrote:so are the sets basically sold out then?

i did snag a few snakes and the samurai. i wanted to get more, but i was waiting for a sale.
and now they are gone?
Everywhere I go, the spinners are sold out. The larger sets are more available, but still hard to find. Of the sets available now, I wouldn't wait much longer to get them. Though the Fire Temple and Skull Truck from last are still available and being stocked by LEGO. Guess they wanted to support those two large sets for longer. The same may happen with Destiny's Bounty.

It's too bad they're not releasing another wave of sets earlier. I think they're supposed to come out in June, but now would be a great time since the TV show is so popular.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Word of the wise..... If you want the next round of spinners this summer(IMO, the best yet).... Don't delay, especially if they are releasing 2013 like they did 2012 so early as they will go quickly.

janckson
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by janckson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Can't find Kai's blade cycle around here. Kmart, Target, Walmart, TRU, gone.

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

Post by UnknownUser » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Kai ZX hit "call to check availability" on S@H. Chances of hitting "sold out" and discontinued for good? 99.9%.