VIP Exclusive Minifigure Set Revealed

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

VIP Exclusive Minifigure Set Revealed

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

Initially announced last July via an online poll open only to LEGO VIP members, The Lego Group today announced the five lucky winners who will be re-released with "unique colored elements" to LEGO VIP Members only as the Fisherman, Elf, Space Villain, Gorilla Suit Guy and the Mummy.

The full text of the relevant portion from the most recent VIP email reads:
Ta-Dah! We are delighted to announce the line-up for the VIP Exclusive LEGO® Minifigures set, to be released in summer 2012. We took the results from our vote poll back in July last year and wherever possible, selected the characters that our VIPs wanted brought back - this time with some unique colored elements! So… please give a big round of applause once again to friendly Fisherman, mysterious Elf, shadowy Space Villain, kooky Gorilla suit guy, and last but not least, mischievous Mummy!
Over the coming months we'll be providing further details on how to go about ordering your exclusive set, so be sure to keep checking your VIP Newsletters!

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/vip-exclusive-mi ... -revealed/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: VIP Exclusive Minifigure Set Revealed

Post by vynsane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Frankly, I can't say I'm at all enthused by this set. The Elf is the only one in the set that I don't have that I would want. I have a Gorilla Suit Guy or two in-bag still, don't know what to do with them, and I had no interest in the fisherman. I, naturally, have quite a collection of "Space Villains".
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Hmmm aren't these all series 3. I'm surprised if these are truly the top votes and all from one series.

"We took the results from our vote poll back in July last year and wherever possible, selected the characters that our VIPs wanted brought back "

ok that explains it - "wherever possible" heheh
Last edited by peanut on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 pm

This a lame collection.
Will not be getting it.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I agree, these are all very lame. I wish all the figure were from series 1 since it was very low in quantities in the US and Canada.
Last edited by Legobrandon on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 pm

WTF?? There is NO NO NO way these were voted the top 5 out of all the figs available. This set looks like a couple people did vote for and and 3 that Lego needs to liquidate. The mummy, REALLY? :evil:

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:49 pm

you get the pearl gold scorpion instead of a dark red one...lol...BAM station has better selection.
Last edited by peanut on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm

peanut wrote:Hmmm aren't these all series 3. I'm surprised if these are truly the top votes and all from one series.
This line, and especially the bold part, speaks volumes for the actual outcome:
We took the results from our vote poll back in July last year and wherever possible, selected the characters that our VIPs wanted brought back - this time with some unique colored elements!
Read: We took the results and cobbled together this collection of CMFs3 figures comprised of pieces we had the most of still lingering about. We don't have any more dark red scorpions, blue hats or green fish.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:51 pm

vynsane wrote:...
Read: We took the results and cobbled together this collection of CMFs3 figures comprised of pieces we had the most of still lingering about. We don't have any more dark red scorpions, blue hats or green fish.
yeah and they had plenty of gold scorpions from ramses game. lol
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:54 pm

I like the minifigures and I hate saying anything negative about them, but it looks like Lego must have found a ton of these collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere because I can't imagine that these were the top picks.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Toys N Bricks wrote:Initially announced last July via an online poll open only to LEGO VIP members, The Lego Group today announced the five lucky winners who will be re-released with "unique colored elements" to LEGO VIP Members only as the Fisherman, Elf, Space Villain, Gorilla Suit Guy and the Mummy.
Well, I could always do with another elf.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:13 pm

^ Yes, but at the expense of buying all five figures? It's not that they're re-releasing them individually, but that it will be a five-pack akin to the "Vintage Minifigure Collections". Do you need another Elf bad enough to pay $20 for all of these dudes?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:24 pm

vynsane wrote:^ Yes, but at the expense of buying all five figures? It's not that they're re-releasing them individually, but that it will be a five-pack akin to the "Vintage Minifigure Collections". Do you need another Elf bad enough to pay $20 for all of these dudes?
Thanks for poking holes in my logic. :lol:

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 pm

disappointing to say the least.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

evo8hks
Knight
Knight

Post by evo8hks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Thank God they didn't remake the series 1 Zombies. That would have really hurt my investment.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Wait. The way the contest was worded before was that the top picks would get their own theme sets. I would hope that meant each figure will be in a polybag ~$5 set. But maybe plans changed or I read that wrong.

This is a sham. People only talked about the Elf and Blacktron III. I think even more people talked about Zombie. The Zombie had to be in the top 2-3 of the votes based on the buzz and he has no special element. He would be the easiest character to remake.

There is no way the Gorilla, Fisherman, and Mummy topped the charts in any fashion.

I love the Elf and got as many as I could, but I could order 2 of them from Bricklink for the same cost as this minifigure set. With the LOTR license, I hope to get "real" elves. (Previously, I had to pretend Forestmen were of elven descent. So this would be a 3rd upgrade.)

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Maybe the new zombie set coming out in the Monster Fighters theme is the reason they're not going to re-produce the zombie for this VIP set. The same would be true of the vampire, wolfman, and frankenstein (although it remains to be seen if those new sets will have those exact CMF figs). I figure the new zombie set will have more than one zombie (nobody has seen it yet I believe), so TLG didn't want to make a zombie in this VIP thing. Just a theory here.

I don't know why all the figs had to be from series 3. Probably because they had stock left over from the S1/S2 shortage, maybe overcompensated by producing too much for series 3.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Gorilla was really popular with kids. Maybe kids voted on this. I agree that zombie should've been on that list.

evo8hks
Knight
Knight

Post by evo8hks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Also, it's B.S. I wasn't asked to vote. I guess purchasing over $10k from them wasn't enough to qualify. Anyways if anyone still wants or needs; I have 8 sealed fisherman and 3 sealed mummy for sale in my Bricklink store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=evo8hks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by evo8hks on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

There is a mummy in one of the Monster FIghter sets too.