Star Wars Price Increase

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Senator
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Star Wars Price Increase

Post by Senator » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 am

If you been to legoshop lately, they rose the price of Star Wars battle packs to $14.99 from $12.99. That is if your in Canada. This is stupid how its the american currency that drop and not canada and yet prices are now 1.4 times higher than the already raised american standard price. Prices for the $26.99 sets are now $35. Anyone frustrated with the prices with lego star wars latley?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Star Wars Price Increase

Post by hatcher » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 pm

A better question would be "Is anyone NOT frustrated with the prices of lego star wars lately?"

I have two words for it - rip, and off. I will not be buying any of them until they go on clearance. NOT worth it.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

All the Star Wars is a rip off. Gonna wait for a nice sale before getting them. Hopefully parents will start boycotting the rip off prices.

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 am

hatcher wrote:I have two words for it - rip, and off. I will not be buying any of them until they go on clearance. NOT worth it.
Lego got to pay license fees if you think about it. I agree with you with those sets are expensive. It could be nicer if sets are a bit cheaper but they are not a rip off with only a few $ higher. Its going to get even more expensive in the next few years as license fees will increase. The golden ratio of 10 cents per piece rarely exist now with most sets much higher than that.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Senator wrote:Anyone frustrated with the prices with lego star wars latley?
That would be me. :(

strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by strongholds » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:52 am

Inflation = prices + high prices + higher prices.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:52 pm

The toysrus I went had the arc fighter for $74.99, Freeco Speeder $34.99, and battle packs for $16.99. Their prices are so high from what lego actually set them. :( Is it the christmas hike only and they will drop the prices later on ?

Metro
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Metro » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 pm

I found this online with an article about lego prices. It explains why lego cost 2 times or even 3 times the amount than US msrp pricing.

From LEGO’s Corporate Management
Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence.

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Metro wrote:I found this online with an article about lego prices. It explains why lego cost 2 times or even 3 times the amount than US msrp pricing.

From LEGO’s Corporate Management
Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence.
I guess that could make sense. But remember a few years ago when the currency was 1.5 US?
That time most lego sets are only 1.5X the US retail price just like the currency.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25 pm

All the lego sets have increased in pricing. You may not have notice it but if you look at pirates, the pieces you get compared to the price is around $0.15 per piece. Lego is an expensive toy and eventually, mom's would stop buying them for that price.

FireWolf
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by FireWolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 am

starwarsgeek wrote:All the lego sets have increased in pricing. You may not have notice it but if you look at pirates, the pieces you get compared to the price is around $0.15 per piece. Lego is an expensive toy and eventually, mom's would stop buying them for that price.
Its really sad :(

Senator
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Senator » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Well, looks like prices will continue to go up and sonner or later, $0.20 to be the "golden price ratio". Pieces have gone down, box sizes got bigger and prices have went up.

swfan
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by swfan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Most of you guys are complaining about the high prices, but in britain, prices are so much more higher. If not 2x, it can be 3x higher than what americans pay.

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 am

swfan wrote:Most of you guys are complaining about the high prices, but in britain, prices are so much more higher. If not 2x, it can be 3x higher than what americans pay.
Well, it is a big increase from previous years. Not only have sets have decreased in size, the price value has went up as well. Most $25 sets we get nowadays has under 200 pieces and has already been $5 mark up. The reason britain has higher prices because theres a smaller market there.

Eddy976
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eddy976 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Lego's going insane with the next wave of lego star wars. $80 for Slave I :shock:

SpaceLego
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SpaceLego » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 pm

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 pm

just wait for the sales, dudes :mrgreen:

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 am

I've noticed that battle packs in TRU are $2 more than the Lego store. Why would anybody buy at TRU unless they are on sale. Everything there is always a few bucks more. Not to chance subjects but even the Minifigures were $3 a pack in Queens.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:14 pm

slacker wrote:I've noticed that battle packs in TRU are $2 more than the Lego store. Why would anybody buy at TRU unless they are on sale. Everything there is always a few bucks more. Not to chance subjects but even the Minifigures were $3 a pack in Queens.
The old ones (Clone Walker & Droids) are $2 mark up. The new ones (Hoth) are $1 mark up. $3 for the minifigure is a plain rip off. I thought the highest they mark up to was $2.49 at some stores. I do agree with you TRU has some of the greatest rip offs sometimes.

But... some of their stuff is cheaper than Lego like the garbage truck getaway at $45. (its on sale right now for $36)