[REVIEW] 7052 -- UFO Abduction

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
71%
Average
29%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am

Indexed

I was recently at my local Walmart hoping for the new SW summer sets. They weren’t in stock yet, but they had the full line of Alien Conquest sets, so I picked up 7052: Alien Abduction.

Set Details

7052 – UFO Abduction
Pieces = 211
Minifigures = Three
MSRP = $29.99
Price per piece = 14.2 cents/piece

Box

The AQ line has blue-green theme for their boxes. The front of the box shows an abduction in progress as the UFO grabs the hapless farmer while ADU soldier tries to stop it.

The top panel of the box gives a shot of the three included minifigures. For reasons that are unclear, the farmer’s pitchfork is highlighted here as well.

The rear of the box feels like the LEGO artist got a little lazy. It is essentially a continuation of the image from the front with the abduction in progress. Smaller panels on the bottom show how the play features can be used to replicate an abduction.

I’ve been hoping for more compact boxes like we saw in the Pirates of the Caribbean releases but the AQ line doesn’t appear to be designed that way. It’s a shame: the smaller profile boxes fit nicely into my storage space!

Opening the Box & Minifigures

Inside the roomy box, there are two numbered bags, a large loose clear dome, one instruction book and one small sticker sheet.

The minifigures from the AQ line were one of my main interests. The sets seem to blend the ADU troopers, aliens and new city type folk effectively. I was especially attracted to this set by the new farmer. All three minifigures have extremely detailed torsos and leg printing. The small touches on the farmer’s legs are nicely done.

Pay attention to the face of this ADU trooper (my sons call him “The Colonel”). This is his normal face (note the tiny lines around the eyes).

The ADU trooper and farmer have modest printing on their rears. The alien has no rear printing. The farmer doesn’t have an alternative face but the Colonel does. Notice the little lines above his bushy eyebrows? This is his angry face. He’s such a hard-a$$ that he doesn’t have a panicked face.

The Build

The UFO is a quick but enjoyable build. The overall shape is defined by four large base pieces.

Once the foundation is set, the remainder of the UFO builds up to create a sense of height and dimension. At center of the “abduction” playability are four large flexible teeth pieces interspersed with smaller flexible teeth pieces.

As the core of the UFO is being built, accent colors, primarily fluorescent green and bright purple, add some flavor.

Here is the final UFO with the finished cockpit. The red light brick can be seen clearly in the cockpit. It shines into the abduction area on the bottom of the UFO and is controlled by a lever on the back.

The set includes some unimpressive barricades and a flickfire launcher. I suspect these were included to inflate piece count more than anything else.

And the extra pieces:

The abduction playability does function as advertised, easily both grabbing and holding a minifigure. The red light brick is rather dim in normal lighting and really only seen well in a dark room.

Pro’s

Excellent minfigures
Novel playability
Sturdy construction

Con’s

Needs another minifigure (or maybe a farm animal)
Piece count feels inflated

Final Thoughts

I enjoy this set. The colors and design aesthetic of the AQ line appeals to me. That said, the price/piece ratio here is already high and as noted above, feels inflated by the inclusion of frivolous additions. If this set had one more minifig or maybe a cow for the farmer, I’d enthusiastically recommend it at MSRP. As it is, I would probably hold off for an Amazon discount or other sale.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [REVIEW] 7052 -- UFO Abduction

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:00 pm

I actually had this set, but returned when I decided I didn't really like the "Alien" sets.
Of course if I can get it at a good discount I might pick it up again. However, since I got the Earth Defense HQ with this ADU soldier in it, I don't NEED to pick this up.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for the review. Now I get how it works.

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

ncbarrett wrote:I actually had this set, but returned when I decided I didn't really like the "Alien" sets.
Of course if I can get it at a good discount I might pick it up again. However, since I got the Earth Defense HQ with this ADU soldier in it, I don't NEED to pick this up.
I'm still on the fence about the Earth Defense HQ. It looks cool and I love the minifigs but there are so many $80~$100 sets out there right now competing for my attention.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 am

DrBeaker wrote:...
I'm still on the fence about the Earth Defense HQ. It looks cool and I love the minifigs but there are so many $80~$100 sets out there right now competing for my attention.
I highly,highly recommend it.
It is really a spectacular set.

If I had more time, I would do a review of it, and you'd want it for sure.

Just don't pass it up, get it at next BOGO or % off. I got it with my TRU 20% off coupon a couple weeks back.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!