[REVIEW] 7949: Prison Carriage Rescue

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
50%
Average
50%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 2

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7949: Prison Carriage Rescue

Post by hatcher » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Indexed

Set Name: Prison Carriage Rescue
Set Number:7949
Theme: Kingdoms
Year:2010
Pieces:50
Minifigures: 3
MSRP: $12.99? (CDN) 39.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Pursue the Prison Carriage and rescue the King's soldier!

One of the King’s soldiers has been captured! Determined to save the King’s soldier, the knight in shining
armor is pursuing the prison carriage to rescue him! Includes 3 mini figures: 1 King's army solider, 1 King's
knight and 1 Dragon Knight soldier.

Includes 3 mini figures: 1 King's army solider, 1 King's knight and 1 Dragon Knight soldier
Help the valiant knight catch the prison carriage before it's too late!
Prison carriage drawn by black unicorn
Measures over 5" (12cm) long

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Airport-3182 ... ty-ByTheme

One of the smaller sets from the Kingdoms line, the Prison Carriage Resucue is the last set that I ended up
buying, mainly due to the large price per piece ratio (which BTW was even worse thanks to Toys R Us
marking this up an additional $2). How does this set stack up? Lets take a look

The front of the box shows what you get. A single Dragon Knight has captured a "King's Knight" and it
taking him away in a prison carriage, and another "King's Knight" is here to try to save him. One of the things that I really like about the Kingdom's line is the unicorn head piece for the horses.
IMG_4436.JPG
The back of the box. Not much going on, the gate at the back of the carriage opens up. Lets look inside,
maybe it will be more interesting there.
IMG_4437.JPG
Inside the box, we have 2 bags (not numbered) a small instruction book and a black horse. There are no
stickers.
IMG_4438.JPG
The cover of the instruction book.
IMG_4439.JPG
A random page from the instruction book. Numbered steps, but the parts needed for this step are not shown separately.
IMG_4440.JPG
The parts out of the bag. Not very much in the way of interesting parts here, except for the horse head
covering, and the new flame pieces.
IMG_4441.JPG
The mini figures as seen from the front. As mentioned, you get 2 "King's Knights" and one Dragon Knight.
Since one is a prisoner, he doesn't get a sword or shield, however the other two get both. The Dragon and
Lion shields are quite nice.
IMG_4443.JPG
Mini figures from the back, minus helmets. All have printing on the back of the torso, but only the prisoner Knight has a double sided head.
IMG_4444.JPG
The build is quite quick, as it consists entirely of the carriage. Here it is in early stage of construction.
IMG_4445.JPG
Nearing completion. There is a serious flaw in the design of this prison carriage. Have you spotted it?
IMG_4446.JPG
The carriage has no roof! Not only that, but the prisoner has to sit down to fit inside. He could easily stand up and jump out! Not very impressed.
IMG_4447.JPG
The horse is the coolest part of this set. The new helmet makes him look like he's scowling evilly, and the
unicorn horn is just cool. Sadly, it doesn't make up for the poorly designed cart.
IMG_4448.JPG
The extra pieces. A couple of cheese slopes, a flame and a helmet flourish.
IMG_4449.JPG
And finally, the set with figures. As you can see, the prisoner is sticking out the roof. Just stand up and
jump out for crying out loud!
IMG_4450.JPG
Ratings.

Mini figures: 5/5 Nice looking figures with good accessories.
Parts: 3.5/5 The horse helmet saves it, but if you are thinking of buying it for parts, you'll be disappointed.
Cost: 1/5. For 50 pieces, the price is just ridiculous. Even the US price makes this a 20 cent per piece ratio, and on a non-licensed set that is just pathetic, even if there is a horse in the set.

Overall: At MSRP I say pass on this set. Don't even consider it unless you can get it for 50% off (or using a $10 gift card like I did.) The figures are nice, but the price is just too high.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

koromo
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] 7949: Prison Carriage Rescue

Post by koromo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 pm

At ~$12.99 competes with similiarly priced battle packs. Granted it has 3 guys and a horse verses 4 troopers or the like, or the only 3 figures in Captians Cabin.

The best way to have picked this set up was the recent $8 promo at target or its subsequent clerance at the same price or lower. I thought for a while it was $10.99 at Walmart and might be clearanced depending on your location now.

I had picked up two of these for the figures, which is a quick way to boost your red and green armies, or horse stable for that matter. But I have way too many cart wheels in the livery.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.