Magnets?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
ShadowFlameZ
Peasant
Peasant

Magnets?

Post by ShadowFlameZ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:17 pm

I've heard that people buy these for the minifigures.
Are they actual usable minifigures or just minifigures stuck to the magnet set?
Thanks,
ShadowFlameZ

keland
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Magnets?

Post by keland » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm

The old magnet sets are able to be used as a useable minifig. All new magnets are glued together and are not able to be used as a minifig unless you like having figures with messed up legs. The glue they use fuses the magnet and minifigs together.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Correct, Does anyone know when the magnets got the glue treatment?

ShadowFlameZ
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ShadowFlameZ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:04 pm

That's really unfortunate. I was hoping to buy one of the magnet sets to get the kit fisto minifigure, but I'm not doing that anymore. :|

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm

ShadowFlameZ wrote:Damn that's really unfortunate. I was hoping to buy one of the magnet sets to get the kit fisto minifigure, but I'm not doing that anymore. :|
The kit fisto one is not glued. Neither is the mace windu one. at least, the ones my friend got weren't.

ShadowFlameZ
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ShadowFlameZ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Ooooooh can anybody else confirm this?
If so I'm excited! haha

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:27 pm

They began to become glued with the Egyptian/Mummy theme this last year.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

keland
Peasant
Peasant

Post by keland » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Since Hasbro has the license on Star Wars action figures, they threw a fit to Lucas about the LEGO magnets being action figures and not primarily used for magnets. LEGO then got the word from Lucas that they need to make it to where the figs don't come off the magnets anymore. Since all the magnets go through the same packaging process it only makes sense that they have to be glued now.

Also, a side effect is that it makes you buy the sets to get the figs you want. You will most likely not be seeing any new magnets sets that are not glued. However, LEGO does now make the battle packs. They have an Alien Conquest battle pack and a Pharaoh's Quest battle pack. They will be making more of these in the future.

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:42 pm

The fine print on the back of the glued sets says elements are glued. The sets that are not glued do not say that. The Ashoka/Anakin/Commando set was originally not glued, then they switched it over and the newer productions are glued. A couple months ago I found an older that was not glued but most of them are. On-line you are at the mercy of what they send you but if you are in the store I am 99% sure if the set is glued it will say so on the back of the packaging.

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:03 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:Correct, Does anyone know when the magnets got the glue treatment?
At the beggining of this year. :sad:

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Start of 2011. I haven't bought any since. There several people that very carefully done treatments to remove the minifigure. However they are bonded with a solvent and not glue. So they kind of bond at the molecular level and separating them make the pieces look like crap.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

or you can just yank at them. kinda like how you remove the mfs from the keychains. it's not that bad. except for magnet mfs, the back of the legs are badly affected since they were glued to the magnet base. other parts are fine since the glued surfaces are normally hidden from view. if the legs bother you too much, i would just salvage them for parts.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 am

I tried the method shown by http://thebrickblogger.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it worked excellent for the magnets. Some are harder to separate than others, but for the most part there is a little damage to the legs but 100% playable and displayable. I was intimidated at first at the long list of all the steps and instructions to read, but broken down it's pretty straightforward, the key is patience. I got the Boba Fett magnet set on Black Friday and at that price it was worth the attempt. I'm glad I did!

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Now even the sets that were originally not glued (the ones with Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Yoda, etc) are now glued. You may be able to find some of the unglued versions at a Lego Store but I ordered several sets from S&H thinking they were unglued and was very disappointed to see on the back of the packaging that they were glued. I am glad I saw that before I opened them though and lucky to have a Lego Store near by that I could return them to. Just beware if ordering from S&H, no matter what set you order, they are likely to be glued.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 am

I made the mistake of buying some SW magnets on Amazon just before Xmas since they said they were from 2009, but of course they arrived glued. :sad:

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:34 am

Check the reviews on the sets on lego.com They are a very good indicator
I'm kicking myself for not getting the dooku magnet when I had the chance.