New to SW, what to get?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

New to SW, what to get?

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 am

"Unfortunately" (for my wallet), my daughter has just discovered Star Wars. We've watched the movies and she probably would enjoy some Lego SW sets. I had a few of the battlepacks that I got on sale at one point. What else do you recommend? She likes to play with the sets so I'm worried about ships that might fall apart easily.

I'd love some suggestions/advice. Of course she is drawn to the main characters such as Anakin, Luke, Vader, Leia, R2D2, Yoda, Han Solo....which CANNOT be good for the wallet.

I swore we would never start collecting SW sets...I guess I need to be welcomed to the Dark Side. ;)
Thanks in adance!

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: New to SW, what to get?

Post by Derek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 am

X-Wing - this is a well-put together ship, and solid. Also, the minifig selection is great - so many of the main charcters (Pilot Luke, Hoth Han, Hoth Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2, and Wedge Antilles)

Luke's Landspeeder - The landspeeder is kind of small, but the minifigs are great again. (Tatooine Luke, Ben Kenobi, R2D2, C3P0, and an Imperial Sandtrooper)

Millenium Falcon - Kind of pricey, but it is one of the most iconic ships from the classic movies

Anakin's and Sebulba's Podracers - one of the best scenes from The Phantom Menace

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 am

You've finally succumbed. Actually, the main characters are pretty cheap because they come in so many sets. You could probably find them for an average of 3 or 4 dollars each(which isn't really that cheap)
Set's that I recommend would include General Grievous starfighter, and maybe the new millennium falcon.(comes with almost all the figures you want)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:10 am

I Would say the x-wing, however since it is sold out on s@h might be hard to get without TRU tax.

You could wait for next TRU BOGO and get MF and Republic Frigate and you'd have 7 of the main characters.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 am

The Jedi Starfighters (ie. Plo Koon's, Mace Windu's) are pretty of a pretty solid design and construction, so the 'swooshability' is pretty high, and are priced at the 'medium tier' of pricepoints. The downside is that they feature minifigs with whom she may not be familiar with, unless you decide to start watching the Clone Wars series.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 am

unclephn wrote:... The downside is that they feature minifigs with whom she may not be familiar with, unless you decide to start watching the Clone Wars series.
That would probably be financially unwise. :lol:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:48 am

LEGO Star Wars is a very expensive line to collect with little pieces but high prices. Its such a shame that prices keep increasing every year.

But I would recommend getting Battle of Endor and Luke's Landspeeder. Both of the sets itself is small compared to what you pay, but you do get some nice minifigures. Clone Turbo Tank is also a very nice set with lots of nice features.

There's yoda in the republic frigate and its 30% off at BN right now. ;)

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to start looking at these sets more closely now. I have to say I personally was never attracted to the SW theme b/c of the boring colors...the grey and white just never seemed exciting. ;)

CoMmanderC
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CoMmanderC » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 am

Depends on era and does she like the Empire or the Rebellion?
"For the Republic"

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 am

Welcome to the dark hole of this lego universe, it is like a super vacuum that sucks out all of your saving in very high speed. :D

I would recommend 7879 Hoth Echo Base. This is a playset. I believe it is very fun to play with kids, and kids will love it. You can get an injured Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, 2-1B medical droid, R-3PO, Chewbacca, and 2 snowtroopers from this box set. $89.99 for 773 pieces of star wars set with 2 exclusive minifigures isn't too bad.

If it is out of your budget, as other member suggested, 6212 is a good choice. The set comes with Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia", Han Solo", Chewbacca" and R2-D2" minifigures. Get it before it is totally gone from retailer, so you will not be feeling upset to get it from secondary market.

JamesW
I'm New !

Post by JamesW » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:17 pm

I'd get the x-wing fighter and the millenium falcon. For smaller sets, I like the pod racers and the landspeeder. When she gets older and is better at putting them together, then you can spend the big money on the big sets like the Imperial shuttle or the ultimate collectors edition Star Wars lego kits that go for $1,000 plus usually.
James - always looking for good deals on gadgets and stuff

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 pm

I called my local Lego Store and they do have the X-Wing FIghter...is that the best place to buy it? I'd love it at a discount, but is that impossible? Was it an exclusive anywhere? I'm thinking I should just get it and get the free promo this month and not worry about it. Can anyone confirm or deny? ;)

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 pm

atmail35 wrote:I called my local Lego Store and they do have the X-Wing FIghter...is that the best place to buy it? I'd love it at a discount, but is that impossible? Was it an exclusive anywhere? I'm thinking I should just get it and get the free promo this month and not worry about it. Can anyone confirm or deny? ;)
The 6212 X-Wing Fighter is a TRU exclusive, and should still be available in stores. You can probably snag it during one of those crazy BOGO sales you guys always seem to have in the US!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 pm

atmail35 wrote:I called my local Lego Store and they do have the X-Wing FIghter...is that the best place to buy it? I'd love it at a discount, but is that impossible? Was it an exclusive anywhere? I'm thinking I should just get it and get the free promo this month and not worry about it. Can anyone confirm or deny? ;)
If you want a good deal, wait till Toys R Us has a sale on Star Wars. I remember them having it for 33% off or BOGO 50% off quite a few times plus those stackable coupons/discounts.

There's a 20% off coupon at Toys R Us right now but its overpriced so your really paying MSRP even after the savings. If you really want it now, then get it at the LEGO store so you can get this month's freebie.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for th info on the X-Wing. I think I'll pick it up at the Lego Store to make sure I get it and if I can find it at TRU when the Rewards get issued, I can always return it.

keland
Peasant
Peasant

Post by keland » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Don't be surprised if the x-wing goes clearance this year. Which means that a LEGO store will slash the price to get it out of their store. They do that to their discontinued sets all the time. The LEGO store is the best place to shop.

Don't count on TRU having a whole lot of buy one get one half on their Star Wars stuff. That only happens every so often. Star Wars is usually excluded on their buy one get one half deals. Do not buy a set from TRU at regular retail unless you like throwing your money away. Plus TRU's rewards are worse than what LEGO offers. With TRU you have to spend $150 in order to get a $5 coupon that expires. LEGO's VIP is spend $100 and get a $5 credit to use whenever you want. Plus it stacks. I know people with LEGO VIP points of $25 or more and are saving them for a large purchase.

Target is a good place to shop for LEGO too. They are cheaper than TRU and they have good clearance prices.

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:15 am

There's currently a 20% off coupon if you go to the TRU Facebook site. Good for anything. I spotted some X-wings at my local TRU yesterday for $59.99.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:17 am

ncbarrett wrote:..
You could wait for next TRU BOGO and get MF and Republic Frigate and you'd have 7 of the main characters.
NVM.
I saw MF on display at TRU, and think it looks stupid.
i would advise you to look at before buying it.

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am

Not sure what your area's like, but Craigslist has been AMAZING for me. You'll have to battle out resellers who are on the prowl, but I've been able to get almost every set my son's been interested in at at LEAST 50% off of store or eBay prices. You have to move fast, but it works.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

agrahmann wrote:Not sure what your area's like, but Craigslist has been AMAZING for me. You'll have to battle out resellers who are on the prowl, but I've been able to get almost every set my son's been interested in at at LEAST 50% off of store or eBay prices. You have to move fast, but it works.
This is so true. You can get stuff at amazing discounts.