Batman Minifigs

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Batman Minifigs

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 am

I was wondering, Will the old batman figures retain their value after the new ones come out? Much as I like them, If I could ditch them now for enough to buy the new ones in sets, I would.(sorry joker)
Any feedback would be appreciated

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Batman Minifigs

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:14 am

lukeskywalker wrote:I was wondering, Will the old batman figures retain their value after the new ones come out?
in a word: no. (sorry)

The one exception might be MISB sets. But its unlikely loose minifigs will retain their value. For comparison, take a gander at historical prices for CMF series 1 figures. Once the parts started showing up in BaM stations at lego stores this past spring, the prices started to fall.
example: the cheerleader - http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?M=col002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 am

Thanks, I guess it all depends on how the public receives the new theme. if it's too cartoony(like the clone wars) I think I might be safe to hold on to them. but it doesn't look like it will be. I foresee hoarders making these sets scarce.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:42 am

lukeskywalker wrote: I foresee hoarders making these sets scarce.
Very possible. It's also possible (but much less likely) that kids loose interest, LEGO overproduces again and demand dries up.

If you have a number of them, you can 'cost average'. Sell half of them now, and hold the other half 'til next year. That way you spread the risk/reward. If they hold their value, great! If not, at least you cashed out some of them while they held value.

Good luck!

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 am

SH1 wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote: I foresee hoarders making these sets scarce.
Very possible. It's also possible (but much less likely) that kids loose interest, LEGO overproduces again and demand dries up.

If you have a number of them, you can 'cost average'. Sell half of them now, and hold the other half 'til next year. That way you spread the risk/reward. If they hold their value, great! If not, at least you cashed out some of them while they held value.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll do that.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 am

SH1 wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote:I was wondering, Will the old batman figures retain their value after the new ones come out?
in a word: no. (sorry)

The one exception might be MISB sets. But its unlikely loose minifigs will retain their value. For comparison, take a gander at historical prices for CMF series 1 figures. Once the parts started showing up in BaM stations at lego stores this past spring, the prices started to fall.
example: the cheerleader - http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?M=col002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think CMF and Batman figures are two different entities.
You have lots of avid Batman fans/collectors.
Many of them might have missed seeing the first collection.
Now with release of new ones, might find out about original and want them.
Now I agree with your statement in other topic about kid collectors.

However i speculate they original batman figures will retain value, or only drop slightly, due to new adult collectors offsetting kid/parent collectors.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 am

SH1 wrote:...
This makes sense.
You might even see a pre-release spike in original figures.
could go up slightly before new sets come out.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 am

Yes, the exciting thing about 'the future' is that no one knows how it will turn out. ;-)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 am

SH1 wrote:Yes, the exciting thing about 'the future' is that no one knows how it will turn out. ;-)
At least no one whole will tell anyone else anything.
:mrgreen:

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:56 am

p.s. regarding the risk/reward balance: a good question to ask when deciding to hold/sell is "is the price likely to go up?" If not, then now is a good time to sell. If yes, then hold. If its hard to say, then cost average...

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

SH1 wrote:p.s. regarding the risk/reward balance: a good question to ask when deciding to hold/sell is "is the price likely to go up?" If not, then now is a good time to sell. If yes, then hold. If its hard to say, then cost average...
I doubt they'd go up with the new sets coming out.

Captain Lantern
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Captain Lantern » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 am

I kinda laughed about this very fact, because a little while after reading about the DC LEGOs returning I was looking at eBay listings and there are a ton of new listings of Batman sets. Makes you wonder if everyone that has been sitting on them is now trying to dump them in anticipation of a price drop, or if they are anticipating more "eyes" looking for some......

mvas11
Peasant
Peasant

Post by mvas11 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm a firm believer that investing in toys for a long term investment is a bad idea. My ebay rule on toys is they must provide a quick turnaround. I can do more with sure money now than potential money. So quit hoarding old sets so me and my son can buy them!!!!

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm

mvas11 wrote:I'm a firm believer that investing in toys for a long term investment is a bad idea. My ebay rule on toys is they must provide a quick turnaround. I can do more with sure money now than potential money. So quit hoarding old sets so me and my son can buy them!!!!
I don't hoard and have ZERO sets. I only have minifigs that I picked up of craigslist and the rare occasion I go garage saling. I have never bought a Super hero sets. Thanks for the advice.

wingtorn
Peasant
Peasant

Post by wingtorn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:22 pm

on the bright side, your old Batman minifigs will be made of better plastics as opposed to the newer minifigs of late, that are made in china and seem to have lost some quality compared to the older ones.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

No in-set minifigures have been reported as being made in China - those are relegated to Collectible Minifigures, battlepacks, keychains and magnet sets. As such, the figures in the upcoming DC Superhero sets shouldn't be of any lesser quality than those from the previous assortment of Batman sets.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 pm

No one can say anything about the quality of the minifigs until we actually have some to examine.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?