LEGO Star Wars 10221 Super Star Destroyer

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO 10221 Super Star Destroyer Video

Post by slacker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 am

Sweet. Thanks for posting. Do we know when this set is due out?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: LEGO 10221 Super Star Destroyer Video

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am

slacker wrote:Sweet. Thanks for posting. Do we know when this set is due out?
September 1st.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: LEGO Star Wars 10221 Super Star Destroyer

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I already made a post on this but a video has just been released on the Super Star Destroyer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny9rhYG4t_g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Description:

Come with us as we take an exclusive look at the never before seen LEGO® Super Star Destroyer™ (10221), the latest ultimate, exclusive LEGO® Star Wars™ set! We'll talk with Kurt, the talented LEGO Designer who brought this awesome model to life in LEGO® Bricks. The Super Star Destroyer will be available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning September 1, 2011 via shop.LEGO.com and at LEGO® Stores. Visit shop.LEGO.com for more details on this amazing model!

The Super Star Destroyer Executor has arrived! This jaw-dropping vessel served as command ship at the Battle of Endor and as the personal flagship of Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars movies. With its classic dagger-shaped design, the Executor is among the largest and most powerful vessels in the Star Wars galaxy. With over 3,000 pieces, measuring nearly 50" (124.5 cm) long and weighing nearly 8 pounds (3.5 kg), every aspect of this fantastic LEGO® Star Wars™ model impresses. Includes 4 minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar, Bossk and IG-88. Ages 16+. 3,152 pieces.

· Includes 4 minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar and Bossk!

· Also includes IG-88 figure!

· Features over 3,000 pieces!

· Measures nearly 50 inches (124.5 cm) long and weighs nearly 8 pounds (3.5kg)!

· Includes display stand and data sheet label!

· Center section lifts off to reveal command center!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 pm

merged and front paged

thanks!
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:20 pm

oh, and i called the removable section to reveal a bridge/command center. :mrgreen:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:07 pm

ncbarrett wrote:oh, and i called the removable section to reveal a bridge/command center. :mrgreen:
Have a cookie. :D
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 pm

LEGO has just sent us a press release regarding the upcoming LEGO Star Wars 10221 Super Star Destroyer Executor. Youtube video will be available today at 6pm EST. Additional pictures available in our Flickr photostream.

10221 Super Star Destroyer™ Executor
Ages 16+ 3,152 pieces. US $399.99 | CA $499.99 | €399.99 | UK £349.99

•Includes four minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar and Bossk
•Also includes IG-88 figure
•Features over 3,000 pieces
•Measures nearly 50 inches (124.5 cm) long and weighs nearly 8 pounds (3.5kg)
•Includes display stand and data sheet label
•Centre section lifts off to reveal command centre

Darth Vader gets a LEGO® flagship

The 10221 Super Star Destroyer™ Executor is the latest and longest LEGO Exclusive model to join the LEGO Star Wars™ fleet. One of the largest and most powerful vessels in the Star Wars™ universe has been created as a LEGO® Exclusive model. The Super Star Destroyer™Executor served as command ship at the Battle of Endor and as the personal flagship of Darth Vader.

It is the first time that the classic dagger-shaped design has been produced as an official LEGO model. “The thing I was trying to accomplish with this model was to get as close as possible to the original, both with angles and the whole profile of the model from the side,” says LEGO senior designer Kurt Kristiansen.

His biggest challenge with this model was the sheer size. It is the longest Star Wars model made in LEGO bricks, measuring 124.4 centimetres (50 inches). It consists of 3,152 elements and weighs 3.5kg (8 pounds).

“When I was first given this challenge, my first thought was ‘this is going to be a tough one’,” he said. He planned the model by dividing it into separate sections before beginning to build at all.
The build also posed a few problems, though: “When you are developing a model, if you change something at one end of, you have to change it all the way down to make it fit. That’s a challenge on something this big.

“I think Star Wars fans will love this model because it is the first time ever that the Super Star Destroyer has been made as an official model. The thing that makes this model authentic with the movies is the shape, but also the detail on the top. It is like a small city with streets and alleys.

A section of the top of the model can be removed to show a representation of the command bridge where Darth Vader and the other minifigures can be displayed. The model includes four minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar, Bossk and an extra figure, IG-88.

The Super Star Destroyer is on sale from September 1, 2011 via shop.lego.com or LEGO Brand Retail Stores. Find your nearest store here: stores.lego.com
Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-10221-super ... ss-release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:59 pm

$400 for this? I rather get the death star which has more pieces, minifigures and play function.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 pm

legogeek wrote:$400 for this? I rather get the death star which has more pieces, minifigures and play function.
AGREE.

I am not complaining the size; however, this piece is too big to display in my home. If my wife see this appearing at home, I am sure there will be no more allowance for lego star wars. This is one of the reason I could not take Death Star home. I would expect the largest one I could keep is Tantive IV and upcoming Mill.Falcon.

So whoever want to get marry, please make sure your another half not going to complain about this hobbies. :?

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 am

legohunter wrote:
legogeek wrote:$400 for this? I rather get the death star which has more pieces, minifigures and play function.
AGREE.

I am not complaining the size; however, this piece is too big to display in my home. If my wife see this appearing at home, I am sure there will be no more allowance for lego star wars. This is one of the reason I could not take Death Star home. I would expect the largest one I could keep is Tantive IV and upcoming Mill.Falcon.

So whoever want to get marry, please make sure your another half not going to complain about this hobbies. :?
Thanks

chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris2348 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:58 am

I will not be buying this for 400$. I think LEGO is going to have a hard time getting sales on this.

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 am

This is a confusing choice for LEGO to make - THIS ship, at this size for this price. It is not as iconic as the Falcon or Death Star - is even larger, and doesn't have many play features.

For kids - it is a $400 model of a less-well-known ship that can't easily be moved.
For adults - it is a ton of gray pieces, has a low wife-approval-factor, and costs a fortune.

I bought multiples of the Death Star at $400. I missed out on the Falcon, and almost paid $800 (which is cheap on eBay) for it , before coming to my senses.

I can't imagine they will sell many of these at retail price. I LOVE the fact that they are giving this ship it's due, but I just feel it's an odd choice.

Thanks everyone.

darth_duny
I'm New !

Post by darth_duny » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 am

I agree with most of you guys. They definitely built something that was WAY to big. I zoomed in and there are ALOT of repetitive pieces on it. Don't get me wrong the bridge is nice, but it's so small!. Many of the starships that are not UCS have more playability even though they're not too scale with much more room for imagination involved. I really hope they make a smaller version of this ship like the Imperial or Venator class space ships.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm not sure what all the griping is about. This is Lego people. You can build your own! Imagination and creativity is the name of the game. Don't let them get you down. I'm pretty sure you can build a multi-colored star destroyer for a fraction of the price. Make pretend that Wolf Pack Renegade with the stubbly beard is Darth Vader.

Just my thought.
Jared

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:32 pm

legogod wrote:I'm not sure what all the griping is about. This is Lego people. You can build your own! Imagination and creativity is the name of the game. Don't let them get you down. I'm pretty sure you can build a multi-colored star destroyer for a fraction of the price. Make pretend that Wolf Pack Renegade with the stubbly beard is Darth Vader.
Hell, there are tons of parts I can use for other MOCs. Lots of Blay, but I can deal. :mrgreen:

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:52 am

Hey it's expensive but it has exclusive minifigs, dengar and ig88. Those two are worth $100 each at least! ;)

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 am

I'm getting this ASAP. I hope Amazon decides to carry it.
LEGO is the only toy line that has brought us large sized Star Destroyer and now Super Star Destroyer toys.
I hope this see success and it might gateway to Medical Frigate, Rebel Transport, and/or Mon Calamari Cruiser.
I would buy multiple if they had alternative instructions for those.

Pretty happy with the $400 tag.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:51 am

koromo wrote: Have a cookie.
Thanks, Ill take Chocolate Chip :mrgreen:
legohunter wrote: So whoever want to get marry, please make sure your another half not going to complain about this hobbies. :?
Or better yet, loves LEGOs too, and buys you a display case for them and lets you display them in the Living room.
Yeah I'm blessed. ;)

I think this will sell very well @$400
The shear size will make people (non LEGO fans) who love Star Wars drool.

chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris2348 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 am

I got to see it at BrickWorld yesterday. It looks nice but again, I will not be buying this.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:58 am

legohunter wrote:So whoever want to get marry, please make sure your another half not going to complain about this hobbies. :?
I got back into this hobby after being married for 6 years - though I had already been collecting comics for about 25 years at that point, so she takes the addition of LEGO with a grain of salt.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive