[Review] 21005 Fallingwater (Architecture)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 1

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 21005 Fallingwater (Architecture)

Post by Luciant » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am

Indexed

21005 Fallingwater
21005-1.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Architecture) Released 2009
811 Pieces with 0 Minifigs
Retail Price: $99.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.12
Brickset Description: 21005-1: Fallingwater
Merging man and nature into an architectural masterpiece!

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1934, Fallingwater® is perhaps the most famous residential home in the world. Open to the public since 1963, this masterpiece exemplifies Frank Lloyd Wright's organic architectural style by intimately merging man with the surrounding landscape. This highly-detailed LEGO® model, co-developed and designed by architect Adam Reed Tucker, captures all of the distinctive features that make Fallingwater an architectural landmark. The assembled Fallingwater model stands 10" (256 mm) wide on a gray base with printed name label and includes a booklet with facts about the building, its construction and its history. A striking and imaginative display for your desk, bookshelf or mantelpiece! Replica of real-world architectural landmark Fallingwater! Booklet included with details on design and history! (English language only) Measures 10" (256 mm) wide

Background
So I have been really interested in these Architecture sets for a long time, recently finding that you can purchase them at Barnes and Nobles. Thanks to the TnB sales/dales forums: viewforum.php?f=6, I was able to nab this set for 50% off! On top of that, my store had the set marked at $89.99. This set, and the White house were the 2 in the theme that I was REALLY interested, so I was extremely happy to be able to nab this great deal.
Bot Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
Box Side1.jpg
Box Side2.jpg
Box Opened1.jpg
Great looking box, as most of them in this series. No alt builds on the back, only information about Fallingwater. The sides also give schematics. The boxes are so nice, I'm not breaking them down like I do with all my other sets.

Minifigs
No minifigs! Of course not, It's an Architecture set! It would make no sense as the Minifigs would be Godzilla... then again, there is the Gorilla Suit in CMF3 that could terrorize the place.

Instruction
Instruction.jpg
Inst05.jpg
How awesome is this Instruction Manual? It has a spiral binding! Professional.
Inst01.jpg
Inst02.jpg
Inst03.jpg
Inst04.jpg
Nice bit of artwork on the inside cover, with a table of contents =) The following few pages follow the style of the theme by giving historical info about the building, as well as fun facts. I love how these manuals outline in red, the pieces that you are adding. Nice touch.

Parts/Stickers
Part List.jpg
There are no stickers in this set (or theme)! YES! There are not any unique parts in this set other than the pre-printed nameplate. There are tons of small beige pieces, as well as a TON of 2x1 clear bricks... awesome for MOCs. There is a nice part list at the back of the manual.
Experience.jpg
I love this theme... :mrgreen:

Construction
01 Start.jpg
02 Base.jpg
You start off by building an outline of the base, along with the foot of the river.
03 Base.jpg
04 Base.jpg
05 Waterfall.jpg
06 Base.jpg
After completing the base, you start working on the waterfall area, very cool. On the bottom right, you get a built in mount for the pre-printed Nameplate. Different than the others, nice.
07 Base.jpg
08 Base.jpg
09 Base.jpg
You start working on the groundwork for the building and hills. This is where the building will meet the river.
10 River.jpg
11 River.jpg
12 Nameplate.jpg
13 River.jpg
Now you can really start to see the outline of how the river will be, and the outline of the land around it.
14 Field.jpg
15 Field.jpg
16 Field.jpg
Now that we've started to put some green for the hills in there, as well as some brown stumps... probably gonna be some tree's headin on these hills.
17 Trees.jpg
18 Trees.jpg

As I expected, now we add block-ish trees, and a small bridge over the river.
Build01.jpg
Build02.jpg
Build03.jpg
Base of the building, and looks to be the "pier" of the set.
Build04.jpg
Build05.jpg
The building is not very exciting to build. It's lots of 2x1 and 3x1 bricks over and over, with 2x1 clear bricks stacked over and over to give the long glass look. Nice effect.
Before.jpg
This is where the building will fit.
After.jpg
21 Bridge.jpg
This is after you get it in there. Now I had a tough time at first getting it to fit in the area, cuz it does fit VERY snug. If you "force it", you've prolly put some pieces in the wrong places, as it does fit, its just a bit of twisting and turning to get it in there.

22 Building.jpg
23 Building.jpg
24 Building.jpg
Beginning to build the middle part of the building, this part has already been MUCH more fun than the other part of the building.
25 Building.jpg
26 Building.jpg
27 Building.jpg
28 Building.jpg
29 Building.jpg
You build layer by layer, each piece fitting nice and snug into the completed layer below it.
30 Building.jpg
31 Building.jpg
Finally getting to the top, you finish the real part of the building. Now you need to add it to the base. I found it easier to take off this final top piece and put it on after you've placed the rest of it on the base.
32 Building.jpg
33 Closeup.jpg
Here's what she looks like after you put the middle part in... and then.
Complete.jpg
And we are done! Now for some close-ups!
Close01.jpg
Close02.jpg
Close03.jpg
Close04.jpg
Close05.jpg
Summary

Building: 4 / 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 4 / 5
Value: 4 / 5
Playability: 2 / 5
Overall: 3.8 / 5

Building:
Building this set is actually pretty fun. It start off with you not knowing how it's going to shape up, an interesting river/waterfall. The building start off very boring, and then picks up to be a ton of fun. It almost felt like putting a model together.

Appearance:
The appearance of the set is just phenomenal. The building is unique, and very neat looking, with a great landscape surrounding both the river and building. This one is going to be displayed in the office, for sure.

Pieces:
While the fact that there is only 1 'unique' piece in the set, the fact that there are so many other great pieces make up for it. The sheer number of clear 2x1 pieces that can be found plus the other colors makes this a great set for pieces.

Value:
This set is great looking, and would be worth buying even if it's PPP was even higher. If you were able to purchase for $89.99 like my B&N had it, the PPP drops to $0.11. If you were able to snag it on 50% off, then it's so ridiculously worth it, you HAVE to buy it. Even if you only get your 10% Membership discount (or even without it), the set is a must buy.

Playability:
I gave this set a higher playability value, simply because i think you could use the set for off-road type stuff for small things. (Think racers theme). Or even of course, as a nice setting within your Lego City.

Overall:
I really like this set. It's fun to build, great to display, and has great value for those who like to build MOCs. I would almost buy a second one just to use for that purpose if I get a chance at another 50% discount... If you are only going to choose 1 or 2 of these sets, this should definitely be within your top 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [Review] 21005 Fallingwater (Architecture)

Post by BobaFett2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 am

Great review! For this month, I would have suggested getting a 1 month free trial of Photoshop or Elements since it really clears up your photos. Or buying it if you have the spare cash. By far, this is the best architecture set.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:Great review! For this month, I would have suggested getting a 1 month free trial of Photoshop or Elements since it really clears up your photos. Or buying it if you have the spare cash. By far, this is the best architecture set.
Thanks! =) Never knew Photoshop offered a free month trial ;) Might have to go snag that. This is my first time ever really doing any type of photo-editing (as I'm sure it shows), and didn't want to bust out $200-300 for Photoshop... but a free trial would be sweet ;)

I completely agree that this is the best architecture set. I'm a big fan of the White House and the Guggenheim, but this set is just so unique with it's structure and river...

Thanks again for the advice about photoshop trial.... will snag it tonight after work :)
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I don't think you really need photoshop to help you better these pictures. You just need to make sure that the object you're photographing is in focus before you take the shot, and invest in some lighting (just a table lamp would really help.)
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

legitimatealex wrote:I don't think you really need photoshop to help you better these pictures. You just need to make sure that the object you're photographing is in focus before you take the shot, and invest in some lighting (just a table lamp would really help.)
Totally on the agenda =) I have a gimpy Powershot from like 3 or 4 years ago that I've been telling my wife we're going to upgrade since it eats batteries like humans eat food...I will have it nice and focused then the lil bugger will make it all fuzzy trying to focus on some other thing in the foreground.... New Camera should definately fix the blurriness in some photos.

The Lighting is the hardest part for me... Every light I seem to use either makes such a nasty glare, or causes way too much shadow :( I need a light with a screen to absorb some of the intesity =) The chandalier in my dining room that is at about head-level is what I use for the green-felt / white background, and my overhead cieling light in living room for pictures as I'm in mid-construction. You think just a regular desk lamp would work?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:47 pm

A regular desk lamp or a powerful room lamp. It might seem too bright and you might have to fiddle with camera settings but it should work out in the end. I have an overhead reading lamp that I use for mine that's super pose - able and it works out alright.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?