[REVIEW] LEGO City 3180 - Tank Truck

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Excellent
63%
Average
25%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 8

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] LEGO City 3180 - Tank Truck

Post by BlacktronManic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Indexed

3180 Tank Truck
Pieces: 222
Price: $26.99 CAN | $19.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.12
Minifigures: 1
LEGO Description:
Keep LEGO' City on the move!

Help keep the cars, trucks and airplanes of LEGO City moving by transporting gasoline to all the gas stations in town. Fill up the fuel pump with the truck's extending hose line, or use the dispenser to fill the Tank Truck's own gas tank to keep it rolling right along! Includes truck driver minifigure. Includes Tanker truck and truck driver minifigure Use the extendable hose to fill up the fuel pump! Measures over 11" (27cm) long and over 3" (7cm) tall
This is a great truck, especially since it is the first tank truck I have seen for the LEGO City and a much needed addition. And now on to the review.
Front Box 1.jpg
This set caught my son's eye when looking through the LEGO magazine subscriptions he receives and wanted it badly. Needless to say I gave in and bought the set and was not disappointed. The front of the box says it all. You get the tanker, the minifig and a gas pump for your LEGO City!
Back Box 1.jpg
It is interesting to see from the back of the box that the Trucker is drinking his coffee while unloading gas to the pump, guess he doesn't mind the smell of octane while sipping his coffee.

Again this is a modular build for young builders, and the box comes with 2 labeled bags. However, I know there are many out there that prefer just unpacking the bags into one pile to feel more excitement of having to search through all the pieces in order to build the set.
minifig.jpg
The Trucker minifig is nice, he's got his Octan company shirt on and his cap is different from the mainstream LEGO caps, it is not a straight rim but rather is more curved like a real cap is and looks great on him too!

Now on to the truck:
Truck 1.jpg
The Tank Truck looks great from the front and the bumper is better defined than that of the truck from the construction site set (7633). The inside cab is nice as the driver actually sits on the left side of the compartment (instead of the middle like many other trucks) and has a shifter inside, like a real truck.
Truck 3.jpg
The back is nice, especially since if the tank trailer is unhitched the driver can actually look out through the rear window, unlike most other LEGO trucks. It's also nice to see the details on adding the hose extensions normally seen on the back of most trucks.
Tank 1.jpg
The ladder on the back of the tank is a nice touch and something my son really likes as well on this truck.
Tank 2.jpg
I forgot to mention that there are some stickers as usual that need to be put on the truck as part of the build. Luckily there aren't too many as my son was starting to get impatient waiting for me to finish putting on the stickers so he could play with his new tank truck.
Pump 1.jpg
Here is the gas pump which is a great addition to any LEGO City, and if you are just starting to build your City, what better way than getting a gas pump to fuel all your City vehicles. The only flaw and problem I have with this pump is the hose and the nozzle. First off it was difficult for my son to do this by himself as the hose keeps wanting to unravel itself and not bend to such a tight degree. Then the nozzle as you pull it off the pump keeps detaching from the hose or the pump if you aren't careful enough.
Set 1.jpg
Here is the tank connected to the pump getting it all refueled for the next couple hundred customers.
Set 2.jpg
I love getting the minifig involved in the refueling process. I did however forget to turn the lever by the hose on the tank on, so I guess this refueling process isn't going well today for the trucker.

Conclusion:
This is a great addition to any City and I would recommend this set to anyone who A) likes trucks B)likes the Octan line and C) is building a LEGO City. The pump is a nice feature along with the truck that I found nice to my growing City scene. The truck is a lot of fun and rolls around really smooth, regardless of the terrain.

This set normally retails for $26.99 which to me doesn't seem worth the price, however, as Costco [CAN] has it for $18.99 it made it appealing to purchase. So, if you are able to find this truck on sale I suggest buying it then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [Review] LEGO City 3180 - Tank Truck

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 am

I bought this awhile back for $15 at walmart.
Was very happy with it, and my daughter loves it.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:48 am

I almost bought this Tuesday at TRU. Good to know it wouldn't have been a bad purchase. ;)

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I agree 100% with this review great addition to any city layout, if you can pick it up on sale.

FireWolf
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by FireWolf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:19 am

Good review. :P

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am

FireWolf wrote:Good review. :P
Thanks, this is my first review, LEGO or otherwise. Looking forward to doing some more reviews.

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] LEGO City 3180 - Tank Truck

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Nice review. I got 2 on sale. Great part list and I like the colors.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [REVIEW] LEGO City 3180 - Tank Truck

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I really want the set, but I'm busy with other themes.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!