[REVIEW] 7591 Construct-a-Zurg

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
50%
Average
25%
Poor
25%

Total votes: 4

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 7591 Construct-a-Zurg

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:34 am

Indexed

7591 Construct-a-Zurg
Price: $24.99
Pieces: 118
Price Per Piece: $.21
Minifigures: 1
LEGO Description:
The Evil Emperor Zurg is out to conquer the galaxy!

Now you can build Buzz Lightyear's arch-nemesis, the Evil Emperor Zurg! With his powerful sphere-shooting cannon and rotating waist, this poseable galactic overlord is more than ready to battle Buzz and his little green alien friend the next time they meet. Includes alien minifigure! Powerful sphere-shooting cannon Emperor Zurg features a rotating waist Measures 9" (23cm) tall
He shoots spheres. How could you ever pass up this guy?

So I cannot seem to find the box, but let me assure you it was lackluster at best. The sky printing is just unattractive. The box just showed the set, the minifigure, how he is pose able and how he shoots SPHERES. You wish you could shoot spheres.

Here is the minifigure. This guy is probably one of the most recognizable characters from Toy Story, as they show up everywhere.

I really like him. He's got a perfect 'alien' look on him and his torso is pretty spiffy. He's got children legs though, so they aren't pose able.

He also has minimal backside printing.

Now onto the meat and potatoes of the review: ZURG!!!!!

Terrifying isn't he? Kudos if you can tell where I screwed up the build. I didn't even notice it until I went to nab the LEGO description from the website. Let's start with 'legs' (he's totally wearing a skirt).

His entire leg structure is made up of about 12 or 13 pieces. They're purple though and I wont lie, I'm really digging the purple.

I'll break it down more so you can see what is in there.

Here is the base that Zurg rests on, as well as the smaller dishthat goes at the top for his 'hips.' It's a very large dish. I have no clue what to use it for outside of this.

On top of this dish these semicircle tubes go. These are larger than your normal semicircle tubes, and have space for a 2x2 in between them in the middle.

This pillar goes in the middle of them...

...as shown here. Now onto the body!

The good news about this set is that there are no stickers. Everything you see here is printed on. That Z on his chest, his mouth and the dial are NOT stickers.

The gun itself is just 1 piece. It has some spots where some Technic pins can go in, which is how the tube is hooked in and how he is carrying it. The dial is also connected through a Technic pin, so it is removeable.

The gun shoots three of these 'spheres' (Spheres, I just can't get over it.'). The gun actually shoots decently far. It's powerful enough to knock a minifigure over, that much I'm sure of. You shoot it by holding the gun like a gun, and spinning the wheel in the front to force the spheres out. There's a spring in the back to help propel them out. Loading these spheres isn't too bad, but sometimes you drop them and they pop out really far mid-load.

Here's that tube hooked to the back of the gun to the back of Zurg.

Zurg's torso is just a bunch of skinny wheels put together. I was a little disappointed by this, as I thought it was some sort of new piece :cry: It's a pretty good technique though, so I will be using it sometime in the future.

Here is his head. It's a total of 7 pieces: the top part, the bottom part 'cone' base, a flat circular 4 x4, and 4 studs (2 purple, 2 red transparent.)

I predict the top of the head piece being useful in future creations. I'm just not sure how to use it yet. Probably some sort shoulder piece, or perhaps center emblem on a robot? Who knows.

By the way, the cape is huge. Goes from his head down to the feet. It's one piece, red on the inside, black on the outside. I really REALLY have no idea how to use this. Maybe some sort of gigantic drape.

The arms aren't anything special so I didn't bother with any sort of close up shots of them. They're two ball joints, one at the shoulder, one at the hand. There's no elbow joint, which limits pose ability a little bit, but he didn't really have elbows in the movie either so I suppose it's true to the original.

I'm going to point out the huge drawback here...The price per piece is INSANE. 21 cents per piece, even with how big most of them are, is a little ridiculous to say the least. At $25 this set is not really desirable if you look at the price. I purchased this for $15 at Walmart. That brings it down to 13 cents per piece, much more reasonable, especially given the size of most of the pieces.

There are a lot of pros to outweigh the price con here though. Purple is a rare and new color to the LEGO universe and it doesn't come in a lot of sets. Most of the pieces here are purple! It's awesome. There are NO stickers, and three printed pieces. It comes with some very large pieces, unique pieces (such as the top of the head and the gun) and it really does look good while being posed. The minifigure is also very nice and I have a ton of plans for it already. This really is a great set, but the price will probably keep a lot of people away unless it goes on sale like it did for me.

I recommend this set, despite the high price. If you can find this on sale for pretty much any amount I would say go out and buy it.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW] 7591 Construct-a-Zurg

Post by legohunter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for the review. It seems there isn't many pieces for this set. Could it be built in 10-15 minutes?

$15 is acceptable for this set. I would consider to take him home if the price is as low as $15.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:04 pm

legohunter wrote:Thanks for the review. It seems there isn't many pieces for this set. Could it be built in 10-15 minutes?

$15 is acceptable for this set. I would consider to take him home if the price is as low as $15.
It's still on sale at Walmart in the US, I believe for $15. Also I built this set in 7 minutes. It goes very very very quickly since the pieces are so big and the construction so simple.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:30 am

I'm hoping to find one in-store soon, although funds are tight.

Also, to show how useful and awesome those big cylinder pieces are:

Steel Wind 03 by JonHall18, on Flickr
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:25 am

vynsane wrote:I'm hoping to find one in-store soon, although funds are tight.

Also, to show how useful and awesome those big cylinder pieces are:
I am not creative and good in MOC. I kept thinking of what I can do with the big pieces from 7591 if I have it. In fact, I had built 7749 Echo Base before, and my mind was only full of the images from using the cylinder pieces to build the turret.

Any idea in what to do with ONE pillar?

Anyway, thank you for showing me an example.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Well that's certainly something for the purple pieces.

The pillar I think is a lot easier to use in an MOC than the big cylindrical pieces. With just one you could still use the pillar as a pillar in a doorway, or as a center support beam for a room. Some sort of base for a very tall statue with an embellishment or adornment at the top could help. You could also use it as some sort of cannon or gun. Actually my girlfriend used two of them for a double barreled pistol model (I can't find the pictures on my Flickr at the moment) but just one could be use able too. You just have to think of what has a column or is long and cylindrical.

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:41 pm

$15 is a steal! Well worth it with all the purple pieces. :D

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm

15$ is a great deal for this. 25$ no way. Get them while u can.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow. I didn't know that's what the center was made of...but I wouldn't get this set, it's way too expensive.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:Wow. I didn't know that's what the center was made of...but I wouldn't get this set, it's way too expensive.
That's why you've got to go for the sale price : )

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 am

12$ at walmart now.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Saw the same at mine (for the 1 that was there). Northwest Indiana is all I'll say. Don't buy anywhere else, their prices will definitely not match.