2011 Pharaoh's Quest

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Asterios
Knight
Knight

Re: [2011 RUMOR] Pharaoh's Quest, like Adventurers

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Geeky G.I.Joe collector? hate to burst your bubble but there are many more Adult fans of G.I.Joe and Transformers then there are of LEGO, in fact alot of LEGO adult members are avid G.I.Joe and Transformer fans and have made G.I.Joe and Transformer items out of LEGO.

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jsnweitzel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Everyone's different. I was playing with Lego in the late 70's and had nothing that even resembled a gun or weapon in my sets but I built Mad Max type cars and spaceships. My imagination supplied the bullets and lasers while many a minifigure met his doom. I also grew into a Star Wars and GI Joe Geek. A boring house is the last thing I wanted to build.

I'm jealous of my son that has actual Lego guns now, especially the machine gun in some of the Indy sets.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

jsnweitzel wrote:Everyone's different. I was playing with Lego in the late 70's and had nothing that even resembled a gun or weapon in my sets but I built Mad Max type cars and spaceships. My imagination supplied the bullets and lasers while many a minifigure met his doom. I also grew into a Star Wars and GI Joe Geek. A boring house is the last thing I wanted to build.

I'm jealous of my son that has actual Lego guns now, especially the machine gun in some of the Indy sets.

you should check out customizers like BrickArms and BrickForge , their vast array of customized weapons will really make you jealous.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 am

tired wrote:but that is the thing...if you saw the ad by Lego over at brothers-brick.com, Lego has always been about peaceful play. This could be seen in Lego's early history, about houses and space exploration. Even with the advent of castle and pirates, there was never really any hints of killing, at most imprisonment.

I'm afraid that you are mistaken on a great many things. While I agree that over-all LEGO has espoused peaceful play, there have almost always been weapons, especially in the Classic Space theme. This gun was first used in 1979. Pictures of this set show it being handled like a gun, not a "space torch" or whatever. Regardless of what LEGO might have called it/intended it to be, I know I used it as a raygun.

Castle, being one of the first ever true themes aside from general building, has ALWAYS had swords and spears, then bows and arrows and crossbows. Pirates had muskets, pistols and canons! Canons that fired 1x1 round bricks!
The phenomena of Lego resurging with adults is likely something unprecedented in the toy industry. Yes there is the occassional geeky Barbie or GI Joe collector but nothing this organised and widespread.
This is flat-out false. There is a HUGE amount of adults out there who collect Star Wars figures, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc. Take a look at http://www.sirstevesguide.com, http://www.rebelscum.com, http://www.hisstank.com, or http://www.seibertron.com for a little taste of how precedented it truly is.
In response to this, Lego has been increasing catering to the adult market. Why else would they release $200 pirate ships and $400 Death Star's.
While the above may be true...
As a result, I believe that Lego is having a hard time maintaining its status as a neutral family toy and has somewhat become an adult competition to acquire the coolest (ie Collectable Minifigure frenzy along adults and ask a school child if they heard of Collectable minifigs)
I think this is not. LEGO sets have been evolving for a LONG time - the addition of weapons is nothing new to Pharaoh's Quest. The original Adventurers line looked almost identical in all respects, with maybe a little updating akin to the Indiana Jones line in the new releases. While the AFOL community might be rabid for new products, unlike a lot of other toy lines, production usually meets both the demand of adults and kids alike (I know, I've been there - distribution of Star Wars figures is almost as bad as CMFs1 EVERY ASSORTMENT). While CMFs1 might have been VHTF, series 2 has been easier due to greater retail support. While shopping for mine, I've seen more kids excited about them than I have adults.
When I played lego with my mom a decade ago, it was about houses and whatnot, building for a sense of achievement. While I believe that there is room for bloodless violence like Space Police or Pirates or Kindgoms. However, stuff like the undead should be left with video games and action figures. I'm pretty sure that parents would likely buy World Racers or Castle over Pharoh's Quest. Within the last few years, part of me sees Lego as overextending the niche or legacy that it was founded on.
The original Adventurers line was literally still going on a decade ago, so it wasn't just houses then, but I think you hit the nail on the head in this paragraph. LEGO's competition comes in the form of video games and action figures, not Mega Bloks or Lincoln Logs. If they're going to get kids interested (not just AFOLs) they need to compete on the level of other toys that might interest kids.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am

The inclusion of weapons is not as momentous as I think you're trying to make it out to be. LEGO still focuses on building houses and public structures. The City line still has no guns at all .The police department relies on dogs and chasing down criminals with handcuffs.

Could you imagine some lines without guns and weapons though? Castle would be completely destroyed as a theme if they didn't have swords and spears to fight with. The Western theme would have been completely destroyed too. How do you have Cowboys without guns, dynamite or some sabers thrown in? Pirates are the same too. They weren't known as nice people but they're easily recognizable and a lot of those recognized symbols of pirates involve muskets, cannons and pistols. You just can't have some of those themes without the weapons. It's like teaching history class without wars.

With the new themes coming up that involve weapons I don't think that there's much to worry about. If you're going to look for mummies you have to be aware that they're all undead. It's a fact of life. This is why they put mummies in sarcophagi; so they wouldn't be able to get out. How would you like it if the next time you went to a museum you were attacked by ancient Egyptian undead? You wouldn't because mummies are surprisingly fast for being so decrepit. It would be an awful experience and not worth the $20 they all charge these days.

This is why LEGO had to have those archeologists fight the undead. If they didn't it would be even more terrifying as a line because all of the adventurers and other people would be constantly running for their lives without any chance to fight back. It would have been a blood bath.

The last two paragraphs might be an attempt at humor. No guarantee though.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 pm

It appears that my comments have made quite the ruckus.
I do apologize if some of my statements are incorrect.
I only have been alive for two decades and my parents never got me action figures so I have no clue of its widespread effect.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:19 am

tired wrote:It appears that my comments have made quite the ruckus.
I do apologize if some of my statements are incorrect.
I only have been alive for two decades and my parents never got me action figures so I have no clue of its widespread effect.
That's the problem. :D as you mentioned in your earlier post you were playing lego with your mom. You should have been playing lego with your dad. I play with my kids occasionally but I never taught them to fight yet they intuitively give the mfs the antenna pieces or even the lever piece and started pretend battle with each other. :D. I eventually give them the castle sets instead of the peaceful city series. :twisted:

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:03 pm

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: 2011 Pharaoh's Quest

Post by kevin93 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Cool! I'm excited for the tomb set!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:42 pm

kevin93 wrote:Cool! I'm excited for the tomb set!
I'm lovin' that king cobra.

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm

They all look so good! I can't wait! Stargate MOC here I come! :lol:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:17 am

InfectiousZombie wrote:They all look so good! I can't wait! Stargate MOC here I come! :lol:
My god, I hadn't thought of this! You are genius!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:59 am

legitimatealex wrote:
InfectiousZombie wrote:They all look so good! I can't wait! Stargate MOC here I come! :lol:
What else would you do with egyptian stuff? ;)
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am

legitimatealex wrote:My god, I hadn't thought of this! You are genius!
ncbarrett wrote:What else would you do with egyptian stuff? ;)
Make Egyptian or Indiana Jones MOCs? :mrgreen:

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:36 am

legitimatealex wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. Close enough though. :)

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 am

ncbarrett wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:
What else would you do with egyptian stuff? ;)
Use it to mock the a-hole Egyptian that sits next to me at work.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Alright but you still have to incorporate Stargate into it.

r4-g9
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by r4-g9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 am

The site now has content, a journal that must be clicked, opening a password-locked book with a key sheet. After unlocking the book, you get some info on the mummies, including the FLYING MUMMIES!!!! It's cute, well designed. Apparently the 'main character' of this theme will be Professor Archibald Hale, Professor of Archaeology at Cambrick University.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:20 am

Sweet! Can't wait for this line.