Hobbit sets retiring soon?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
StClair
Count
Count

Hobbit sets retiring soon?

Post by StClair » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 am

Please be advised that I have no inside knowledge.

For those waiting to buy sets they need to complete their Hobbit and LOTR collections be sure to not wait too long. At the moment 79018 Lonely Mountain (with Smaug) is marked "sold out" online at LEGO shop@home (US). 79012 Mirkwood Elf Army is currently "call to check product availability". Yesterday the Elf Army was marked as either sold out or out of stock.. I can't remember for certain. I called and placed an order today by phone. I wanted 3x Elf Army sets but was told there was only 2x available.

Some of the others are "available now".

None of them are currently listed under "retiring soon" but often sets just disappear without a warning. Its very likely that the Mirkwood Elf Army could have simply sold out during the 2x VIP points promo and will be restocked or more inventory will be gathered BUT its possible that this could be it.

I don't want to alarm anyone (because I don't have any inside knowledge). Lonely Mountain has Smaug while Mirkwood Elf Army has Thandruil, Elf soldiers and a Warg.

I asked about Jurassic World sets and the agent said what I've heard others say... that they are gone until after the Holidays but may be available after the Holidays. He said that some LEGO stores may find some AND of course they may pop up in other retail places.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Hobbit sets retiring soon?

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks! I had been waiting to get the lonely mountain set until it was on sale. I just bought it on amazon for 10% off retail. No telling how much longer it will be around
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Hobbit-79018 ... g=tonbr-20

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Currently Target (Ebay shop) has Mirkwood Army listed for $27.99 and free shipping. I know its only $2 below retail but it could be a good deal for some. Personally I prefer buying 3x of them from LEGO shop with 2x VIP points and bonus item but if anyone only wants 1 of the set this may be a decent price.

Here's the ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/301210627180?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Currently on amazon its $27.29

Also available at Wal-mart and ToysRus for same as target's ebay shop price ($27.99)

I also noticed that the SW General Grievious Wheelbike set 75040 (sold out.. retired maybe? at LEGO shop at home) is available online at several places for less than retail if someone is looking for both the mentioned Hobbit set and SW set. Target, Wal-mart and Amazon- all currently priced at $19.99. I think this is $5 below retail.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Currently one can purchase Tower of Orthanc 10237 on Amazon. It has been sold out on LEGO shop at home and made be retired.

Here's the Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG9 ... MXQGSHAUBH

Also 791014 Dol Guldur Battle is marked sold out at LEGO shop at home. Its in orange while the "sold out" for Lonely Mountain and Mirkwood elf Army are both in red. I'm not sure if this means Dol Guldur Battle is being retired now (or if the other 2 are being retired as well). Just trying to help keep everyone informed ;-)

minifigW
Knight
Knight

Post by minifigW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:13 am

I saw some lonely mountains at a Walmart near me, sitting on the clearance shelf for the bargain price of $129.99, the red tag was dated from six months prior and no further reductions. It seems this Walmart has forgotten the meaning of clearance.

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for heads up! I still needed a few and didnt realize they were eol so fast..

That's insane fast EOL for 1 of the most iconic sets found in English literature to ever to be produced by TLG. The Lonely Mountain is going to be a pretty penny in just a few years time due to the scarcity of the Dragon. I could easily see the dragon fetching $250 for the unique size and special folding Wings alone.

The Wings can be used for various moc's such as Balrogs,other Dragons and D&D Monsters. The set contains many rare sandgreen parts which is a huge bonus as well, and it does come with Bilbo so there is no need for a casual collector to buy other sets to accompany it, especially if they have the dimensions Gollum.

All a casual collector need after Smaug is a Gandalf and fellowship which they can buy the fake fellowship for a few bucks but not a fake Smaug.