2011 LEGO Atlantis

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: 2011 LEGO Atlantis

Post by BobaFett2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:19 pm

possum wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:
possum wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:
Anatolia wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote: It actually is not bare chested.
Oops, you're right!

I'm not sure if the Atlantis theme will continue. If it does, maybe we'll see Atlas, the king, sitting on his throne in an ancient inspired palace. :)
I think you mean Poseidon.
Atlas was the king of Atlantis, son of Poseidon, Greek god of the sea.

http://www.maicar.com/GML/Atlantis.html
No. Atlas is a titan. Poseidon is a son of Cronos. Atlas is something closer to an uncle.
While arguing on the internet about things that aren't real is something I greatly enjoy, why don't you click that link I posted and read it for yourself. Either that or re-read what I wrote the first time.
I read it. It's wrong. Atlas was sentenced to hold up the world after the Gods (including Poseidon) defeated the Titans. I think you are thinking of Triton.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:18 am

Since we are getting the city of atlantis, i think this theme is done after this year.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

ncbarrett wrote:Since we are getting the city of atlantis, i think this theme is done after this year.
Agreed.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Same here. I will miss this theme. It's been pretty solid, if not as popular as I believe it deserved to be. Original models, original pieces, solid color scheme.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:29 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Same here. I will miss this theme. It's been pretty solid, if not as popular as I believe it deserved to be. Original models, original pieces, solid color scheme.
Very. But the prototypes looked better (Brickjournal Issue 10).
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I think LEGO really wanted to get three years out of the theme and they just aren't selling. The sets at Target were on sale every week for over three months, and then were on clearance. Real shame too because like Space Police the theme really improved the second year.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:I think LEGO really wanted to get three years out of the theme and they just aren't selling. The sets at Target were on sale every week for over three months, and then were on clearance. Real shame too because like Space Police the theme really improved the second year.
I'm pretty certain that almost all themes nowadays are intended to be 2-years. Some fail so badly that they cannot (or there's not much else in the movie to build off) and some do so well that they are continued.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:I think LEGO really wanted to get three years out of the theme and they just aren't selling. The sets at Target were on sale every week for over three months, and then were on clearance. Real shame too because like Space Police the theme really improved the second year.
I'm pretty certain that almost all themes nowadays are intended to be 2-years. Some fail so badly that they cannot (or there's not much else in the movie to build off) and some do so well that they are continued.
The 2 year policy is a bad policy and I dislike it intensely. I like to have so many of a certain theme that I feel like I could build a city with it, but when they take away themes so quickly I feel like I only have a tiny little subsection. They also seem to be limiting the number of sets they're making for each theme. Only 5 real sets (discounting polybags) for Kingdoms last year? Only 4 new ones this year? I LOVE CASTLE and they're giving me nothing to work with!

I understand the movies being limited, as they have to work with both a limited series or movie, as well as the license holder to establish what sets to make. Like PoP, there really was not much else they could do. But their original themes should have a slew of sets pushed out every year. Not just '5 for this one and 5 for this one.'
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 pm

legitimatealex wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:
The 2 year policy is a bad policy and I dislike it intensely. I like to have so many of a certain theme that I feel like I could build a city with it, but when they take away themes so quickly I feel like I only have a tiny little subsection. They also seem to be limiting the number of sets they're making for each theme. Only 5 real sets (discounting polybags) for Kingdoms last year? Only 4 new ones this year? I LOVE CASTLE and they're giving me nothing to work with!

I understand the movies being limited, as they have to work with both a limited series or movie, as well as the license holder to establish what sets to make. Like PoP, there really was not much else they could do. But their original themes should have a slew of sets pushed out every year. Not just '5 for this one and 5 for this one.'
I agree. But it's more of a 6-4 basis. There's 6 main sets in Kingdoms (Castle, Dragon Tower, Catapult + Tower, 3 Knights, 2 Knights), 2 tiny sets (Jester and Wizard), two Battle Packs, and some polybags. Which really just counts as 6 sets. Power Miners had more, but a lot of them were limited. I really hate this too-however, it does provide more themes to choose from-at the same time, it probably raises prices (due to low run time of parts) and prevents me from getting enough Mummies to make a decent army.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 am

Does anyone know when 7985 City of Atlantis is going to be available? It isn't on S@H for the US or Canada, has anyone spotted it at any stores? Really itching to get this one!
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 am

Hodgeman wrote:Does anyone know when 7985 City of Atlantis is going to be available? It isn't on S@H for the US or Canada, has anyone spotted it at any stores? Really itching to get this one!
I think I saw it in a LEGO store on the opening day (MN), but it was gone when I returned. I know they had SOME atlantis on that day, they didn't have any 2011 stuff recently though-it probably sold like "hotcakes", whatever those are
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 am

BobaFett2 wrote:...it probably sold like "hotcakes", whatever those are
Hotcakes is another term for pancakes. :geek:

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am

Mantisking wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:...it probably sold like "hotcakes", whatever those are
Hotcakes is another term for pancakes. :geek:
Ah.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 am

BobaFett2 wrote: I'm pretty certain that almost all themes nowadays are intended to be 2-years. Some fail so badly that they cannot (or there's not much else in the movie to build off) and some do so well that they are continued.
Nothing in intended.

Agents was supposed to be a one year thing, it sold well so they made it Agents 2.0 and gave it a second year. Power Miners wasn't planned to go another year, sold so well that they made a few more sets for a second year. Space usually lives two years, I'm not sure if that is planned. LEGO just goes by what sells well.

I just remember reading something (I sadly have no clue where) that because Aqua Raiders sold so well LEGO wanted to make a new under water theme and they came up with Atlantis which was set to have a three year long story. Plans do change.

However there is just as many one year themes as two year themes. There is World Racers, Aqua Raiders, probably PQ.

As long as LEGO makes new exciting theme to replace it I don't mind themes ending. Plus I love underwater themes, however Atlantis year one subs were a joke. The couple from this year are really nice. I love the one that comes with the temple, looks really nice.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote: I'm pretty certain that almost all themes nowadays are intended to be 2-years. Some fail so badly that they cannot (or there's not much else in the movie to build off) and some do so well that they are continued.
Nothing in intended.
How do you know that they weren't intended to go on 2 years?
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 am

LEGO employees at different times do interviews. At different times LEGO came out and said they made more Agents and Power Miners because of sale numbers. It's also why Agents year 1 had numbered missions and year two was called Agents 2.0.

Same with Atlantis, they saw the sales numbers for Aqua raiders and then went into developing a three year story for a new underwater theme.

There is also a chance I am completely remembering the interview wrong and I'm just going nuts. I wish I could remember where it was.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 am

Brick & Blue wrote:LEGO employees at different times do interviews. At different times LEGO came out and said they made more Agents and Power Miners because of sale numbers. It's also why Agents year 1 had numbered missions and year two was called Agents 2.0.

Same with Atlantis, they saw the sales numbers for Aqua raiders and then went into developing a three year story for a new underwater theme.

There is also a chance I am completely remembering the interview wrong and I'm just going nuts. I wish I could remember where it was.
Oh. Well if you can tell me where it was, I'll check on it.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

kjauburn
I'm New !

Post by kjauburn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 am

Even though all 5 new Atlantis sets came out in January it seems like they are sort of stretching them into 2 release. Only 3 of the sets are in the January catalog and the other 2 sets are impossible to find.

Atlantis is the first theme my daughter has fallen in love with. Really hoping it gets a few more sets next year. As many people have pointed out it looks unlikely, but who knows maybe with some strong sales/support a few more sets will show up.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

kjauburn wrote:Even though all 5 new Atlantis sets came out in January it seems like they are sort of stretching them into 2 release. Only 3 of the sets are in the January catalog and the other 2 sets are impossible to find.

Atlantis is the first theme my daughter has fallen in love with. Really hoping it gets a few more sets next year. As many people have pointed out it looks unlikely, but who knows maybe with some strong sales/support a few more sets will show up.
Since this is the third wave, and includes the city of Atlantis, I highly doubt there will be any more Atlantis sets.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

kjauburn wrote:Even though all 5 new Atlantis sets came out in January it seems like they are sort of stretching them into 2 release. Only 3 of the sets are in the January catalog and the other 2 sets are impossible to find.

All 5 sets are available in Europe(at least in the UK). The same happens with Lego Games...Europe already have all Lego games available and we don't. That's discrimination!!! :x