Official Press Release: LEGO 10249 Winter Toy Shop

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
SlickP
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Official Press Release: LEGO 10249 Winter Toy Shop

Post by SlickP » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:21 pm

I guess I'll get the changing seasons creator house this year and add that to my Xmas display since I already have this.

jessica52877
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jessica52877 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:47 pm

This seriously stinks!! Can lego not come up with anything new? Why bust my butt to make sure I get each year if they are just going to release them all again. I'm hugely disappointed and about to say bon voyage between all the cheap pieces they are producing and nothing new. Huge disappointed house here!

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:58 pm

RobertDD wrote:I am actually excited to see that Lego re-releases popular sets. I am hoping the trend continues, and other sets like the collector's edition millennium falcon and the green grocer and café corner may see a re-release.
Ouch... if they started re-releasing previous modular buildings can you imagine how angry investors would be? It would actually make me very happy because I missed out on LOTS of them (nearly all of them)... but I think I would prefer the LEGO group NOT do that.. even if it would mean making it possible for me to buy some of them.

RobertDD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RobertDD » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:17 pm

StClair wrote:
RobertDD wrote:I am actually excited to see that Lego re-releases popular sets. I am hoping the trend continues, and other sets like the collector's edition millennium falcon and the green grocer and café corner may see a re-release.
Ouch... if they started re-releasing previous modular buildings can you imagine how angry investors would be? It would actually make me very happy because I missed out on LOTS of them (nearly all of them)... but I think I would prefer the LEGO group NOT do that.. even if it would mean making it possible for me to buy some of them.
A toy is not an investment, and Lego is not earning a dime on sky-high prices in the secondary market. Nope, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some or all of those sets get a reprint. This may be Lego testing the waters.

Richard J.
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Richard J. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:11 pm

I wasn't even back into buying Lego when the previous version of this set came out and now I can get the update at a high but doable price; if I wanted to buy the original I'd need a lot more money solely because of the price gouging. So personally I welcome our re-release overlords. :up:

The sets are expensive enough when they first come out but now you see prices double, triple, and even quadruple. Heck some sets that aren't even retired are being resold at a massive increase just to screw over people who didn't buy first day. The whole thing is getting a bit out of hand and the people getting hurt the most are regular collectors and folks who just want to have a little fun with Lego.

Some of the prices are so high that they sound more like mortgage payments. :crazy:

A few re-releases would help to deter the excessive "investing" that's really more like hording. When you go on eBay looking for that one polybag you missed and see someone selling lots of 10, or 20, or freaking 50 of them, it just makes you feel like some of the "investors" need a kick in the vital regions.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 am

Polar_Beast wrote:Wow, I gotta say this is weak. I never even got one of these originally, as 10199 predates my collecting days, but still, just seems so lazy on LEGO's part. Like others have said, there are several sub-theme X-mas sets they could have went with.

As for the new parts game, I spy: 2 green train tracks (which will be highly sought after from MOC and rare parts enthusiasts), new printing minifigure dress 2x2x2 black slope, a new Jester Hat printing (orange instead of red), and I'm not sure if it's a new color or not, but they changed one of the two skiing kids to a snowboarder with a dark blue snowboard.
I don't think they are train tracks. But rather technic pieces

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 am

^ Yes, they're Technic half-width beams. They were gray in the original.

Brickset posted both the old and new versions one on top of the other, which helps in discerning the differences:
Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.52.38 PM.png
  • The above-mentioned color change for the Technic curved beams from gray to Dark (Earth) Green
  • 8 minifigures as opposed to 7 (additional male minfigure)
  • Redeco on all minifigures
  • Technic skis swapped out for minifigure skis and snowboard
  • Younger toy maker (perhaps the older gent passed away and his son took over the business?)
  • Extra brick-built toys (rocket, tugboat, helicopter, biplane) in addition to the train, robot and yellow race car
  • Color change on Jack-in-the-Box
  • Brick-built teddy bear swapped out for the minifgure accessory teddy
  • Construction of second floor roof more closely matches that of the first floor
  • "Toilet seat" wreaths as opposed to 2x2 round plates
  • Slightly different construction of snowman
  • Printed(?) flag
  • Gold 1x1 clips (as opposed to white) on the string of lights on the tree
  • Gold 1x1 round plate (as opposed to black) for doorknob
  • Brick separator
Overall I'm conflicted. I have the original and don't feel the pressing need to buy it again for $20 more, however, I'm disappointed that there's no new WV set for me to get this year. On the other hand, I'm jealous of the design enhancements.

I think they should have done a straight-up re-release of the original and ALSO designed a new set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 am

I agree. If you want to release a set than great, but at least come up with a small $30ish dollar set to go along with it.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 pm

I was just thinking - perhaps the (hopefully inevitable) "Bonus Holiday Set 1 and 2 of 2" promos will combine to be something more substantial than previous years and will serve as a viable additional WV set. Maybe.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Post by anakinisvader » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Statement from LEGO: Dear LEGO Investors, Ha Ha. :lol:
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:22 am

I am not in favour of the idea to re-release retired product. If high demand was the reason that caused TLG to put Winter Toy Shop in their production line, then they would be scratching their heads weather they should put Mr. Gold. in CMF 15.

SlickP
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SlickP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:00 pm

RobertDD wrote:
StClair wrote:
A toy is not an investment, and Lego is not earning a dime on sky-high prices in the secondary market. Nope, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some or all of those sets get a reprint. This may be Lego testing the waters.
I don't think they are testing the market but rather just being lazy. They have already re-released numerous Lego SW sets over and over. The last two XMAS sets were kind of disappointing IMO compared to the earlier ones.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 pm

I've been anticipating a Holiday Train Station + new Holiday Train (2 sets).

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:12 am

This is too bad, I always look forward to the "new" Holiday set. I actually think I have an extra of the original which I thought might be handy in the future to sell or whatever...oh well!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I've been anticipating a Holiday Train Station + new Holiday Train (2 sets).
I'm a little surprised that the second free set is a Gingerbread house and not a mini train station.

We got a second cargo train this year, which is weird. I would have loved a new train that could be rather holiday-ish, but not overly so, and then a very holiday like station. I really think a holiday station would sell really well. I'm not buying a set for $80 that was on clearance three or four years ago for $45.

If they wanted to redo a set I would have redone Cafe Corner and made it have an interior.