[Review] The Simpsons Minifigure Series II

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
pro_zach
Peasant
Peasant

[Review] The Simpsons Minifigure Series II

Post by pro_zach » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Year: 2015
Pieces: Varies (4-6)
Minifigures: 1 per package
Price: $3.99 Each

Description:
Lego.com has a description of each character in the Minifigures section.

Here's a front/back shot of the package:

And the instruction booklet:

It's interesting to note that the "instructions" don't actually tell you how to assemble the minifigures but instead have advertisements for The Simpsons House (71006) and Kwik-E-Mart (71016) sets.
“Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain: remember when I took that home wine-making course and I forgot how to drive?” - Homer Simpson

What you get: "Date Night" Homer's head is the same shape and design as from The Simpsons Minifigure Series 1 (henceforth referred to as "Series 1") and the more recent Kwik-E-Mart. His torso with suit jacket, white dress shirt, and pink tie design is unique to this set, as is the 2x2 printed tile with heart-shaped candy box. The medium blue legs have appeared in several more sets since Series 1.

Review: 7/10
Homer's torso provides reusability for custom creations, though I'm not sure why the pants aren't the same darker shade of blue for a matching suit. The heart-shaped candy box tile could also be repurposed, but I would have liked to see an actual heart-shaped piece rather than square...figured by now there would have been something they could have borrowed from the Friends line.

How to find him: Feel for the 2x2 tile and full-size legs. It's very tricky to tell the difference between Homer and Dr. Hibbert. I bought 10 minifigures at one time, ensuring none were duplicates. I happened to find and open Homer first. When I went back to get the remaining 6, I felt the head piece for a long time to make sure it was Dr. Hibbert, carefully feeling his bumpy hair and wide grin.
“Listen to your mother, kids: aim low. Aim so low, no one will even care if you succeed. Dinner's in the oven. If you want some butter, it's under my face.” - Marge Simpson

What you get: "Date Night" Marge features the same head mold from all previous sets but with new painted red lipstick and green earrings. She has a unique orange torso, orange “underwear”, and orange cloth dress with wavy black stripe pattern. Marge's dual color orange and white arms coupled with white hands give the appearance of long gloves. The printed 1x2 tile with purse design is also only in this set. The handheld flower bouquet stem has appeared in 2 other sets, both from Series 7; the red flowers themselves are quite common.

The addition of makeup was a small yet effective way to bring new life to a head that has already appeared in 3 other sets now...the little bit of lipstick on her bottom lip is especially well done. I've stated my dislike of the cloth dresses before and I'll state it again: dresses really just limit the figures' posability as you have to take them off to make the figures sit down. Also, I think they missed an opportunity to use the conspicuous hole in the top of her hair for a hat...it was always comical when she'd wear a hat teetering on top of that tower of hair.

How to find her: Feel for her large, corncob-like head.
“Mom's heart won't just wipe clean like the bathroom countertop; it absorbs everything that touches it, like the bathroom rug.” - Lisa Simpson

What you get: Lisa also has the same head shape as seen twice before, but she now has a painted pink bow in her hair. Her pink top with short sleeves, cloth skirt, and legs are all unique. Her accessory, the family cat Snowball II, is one solid piece with panted eyes, teeth, nose, and collar.

Review: 8/10
Though the cloth skirt piece doesn't interfere with posability since the little legs don't bend, it's still difficult to put on and really not needed in my opinion. Snowball II, which was sadly absent from the house, is a welcome addition to the Lego Simpsons universe, and it's the only reason my score is so high for yet another reused figure.

How to find her: Feel for the cat, with S-shaped tail.
“Dad-dy” - Maggie Simpson

What you get: Maggie has the exact same head and body pieces as from Series 1. Maggie's accessory, the family dog, Santa's Little Helper, is one solid piece with painted eyes and nose and a single stud on his back.

Maggie's appearance doesn't change a whole lot during the course of the show, so I can understand the reuse of the same head/body. However, it would have been great to see her in her star-shaped winter snowsuit. So, as with Lisa, the higher score is only for the inclusion of Santa's Little Helper.

How to find her: Feel for her familiar single body piece and/or the dog.
“There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they make up to scare kids, like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson.” - Bart Simpson

What you get: "Bartman", who made his first appearance in season 2 (1991) has the same head mold as seen in several sets now with the addition of a purple mask that angles his eyelids inward for a menacing expression. He also comes with a new matching purple cape. While his legs are the same as from all other sets he's appeared in, (as well as "Fallout Boy" and Nelson from Series 1) he now has his own orange shirt with short sleeves. As mentioned in my Series 1 review, I thought the slingshot should be an actual piece, and now it is.

Painting on the mask was a creative way to reuse his head, but I feel they should have continued the theme of being dressed up, for instance Bart in a dark blue suit jacket with matching shorts, and a raised eyebrow to aim his slingshot. The orange shirt is much appreciated though.

How to find him: Feel for the Y-shaped slingshot.
“Trust me Bart, it's better to walk in on both your parents than on just one of them.”
- Milhouse van Houten

What you get: Milhouse as "Fallout Boy" was from an episode in season 7 (1996). He has the same head shape as from Series 1 but painted with angry eyes and a green mask that goes all the way around. The blue torso with short sleeves, green hands, green belt and radioactive symbol is unique, but his legs have been used several times now. The bright green cape is found only in this set, as is the Buzz Cola can piece; this fabricated cola brand first appeared in season 5 (1994).

The "Fallout Boy" costume is a very faithful recreation (though Milhouse's bushy blue eyebrows should be floating above the mask). The cola can is a nice piece, but I don't see the connection to the character as they were introduced a couple seasons apart.

How to find him: Feel for the round can piece.
“Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.” - Comic Book Guy

What you get: Comic Book Guy is the first figure in Series 2 that features a head piece that hasn't appeared elsewhere. His torso, with exposed belly and short sleeves is unique, as are his legs with shorts design. The Squishee piece is different from that of Apu in Series 1, but it is now used in the Kwik-E-Mart set. The comic book printed tile is taken from season 21 (2009).

Review: 6/10
Much like Chief Wiggum, making a fat character in the narrow rectangular Lego body just does not work. Also, the attempt at making shorts, while looking just fine with short child legs, just looks weird with full-size legs. I would actually have preferred that they reused the Radioactive Man #1 comic book printed tile found in The Simpsons House set (71006) than make this new piece based on a more recent, and far less memorable, episode.

How to find him: Feel for the 2x2 tile and round drink cup, ensuring it isn't the mug with a handle.
“Ooh! Pick me, Teacher! I'm ever so smart!” - Martin Prince

What you get: Everything with Martin is unique to this set, including a new head mold, a short-sleeved torso with collar similar to Homer from Series 1 but with pens in his pocket, and small legs with orange shorts. His book, entitled "Coping with a High IQ", doesn't seem to have actually appeared in any particular episode (correct me if I'm wrong in the comments).

Like Ralph from Series 1, Martin is recognizable but still somehow "off" in 3D form. His torso and leg pieces are definitely reusable for custom creations. The book can always be used to fill out a library MOC I suppose...wish they came up with an accessory that had been used on the show.

How to find him: Feel for the big rectangular book.
“This radio-controlled plane gives your baby the chance to fly, just like my son here. He can execute the barrel roll, loop-de-loop, and bring it in for the perfect landing. *CRASH*. Oh dear...my wife is going to kill me." - Professor Frink

What you get: Prof. Frink has his trademark center-parted hair, thick glasses, and goofy buck-toothed grin. His torso with blue bow tie, open lab coat and button-down shirt is unique, as are his pink pants with belt and lower lab coat design. The flask piece has been used several times before, but not with the pea green substance inside.

This is a pretty spot-on recreation of Prof. Frink. The main problem is with the handling of the lab coat by painting over the pink legs. Being printed on the front and sides, but not the back gives it more of an apron appearance. This would have been a perfect chance to try a real cloth piece to act like the coat (though I'm not a fan of the dresses, I could have let it slide if they tried something new). As it stands, while the torso is perfectly reusable (think disco-era tuxedo), the legs won't work without being paired with it.

How to find him: Feel for the cone-shaped flask.
"My name is Hans. Drinking has ruined my life. I'm 31 years old!" - Hans Moleman

What you get: Moleman has a wrinkled face and giant glasses (that still didn't help him pass his driver's license exam). He has a unique torso with a collar and a somewhat disheveled blue tie. The small green legs, normally reserved for children, have appeared in a few other sets.

Review: 9/10
Simple, but well-executed. Great use of the little legs for an adult character and a torso that can easily be repurposed (stressed out businessman perhaps?) The driver's license tile is highly detailed, and even ties in with the Selma figure. I would have liked to see a walking cane piece, as Moleman doesn't leave home without his trusty cane...given his short stature, such a piece could definitely appear again in Christmas sets as a candy cane.

How to find him: Feel for the 1x2 tile (and small legs).
"Some days, we don't let the line move at all." - Patty
"We call those weekdays." - Selma

What you get: Patty has a unique head, pink torso with short sleeves and necklace design, pink cloth dress, and pink "underwear". The same can be said for Selma, except she's wearing all blue (and her arms are sleeveless). Patty's purse is new in this color, but the shape has appeared a couple times before. Selma's eye chart was taken from an episode in season 4 (1993).

Review: 7/10 (for the pair)
Though these two figures are very similar - they are twins after all - you really couldn't have one without the other, and like Grampa from Series 1, they are a welcome addition to the extended Simpsons family. On the other hand, it does add two more figures to this series with the dreaded dress. Selma's eye chart is accurate to that which appeared in the show down to the letter, but Patty's purse is pretty generic...their pet lizard Jub Jub would have been an excellent accessory.

How to find them:
Patty – Feel for her big round hair and purse.
Selma – Feel for her bigger hair and 2x2 tile.
"Don't you worry about your wee fish, lass. They're goin' to a better place." *TOILET FLUSHES* - Groundskeeper Willie

What you get: Willie's head mold is complete with a big bushy red unibrow and beard on his balding head. His torso has an original overalls design, and his short sleeve arms even have little M's (or W's) to indicate hairy arms. His dark green pants are fairly common, even being used by Mr. Burns from Series 1. Though the plunger has been used by the Plumber (Series 9), the darker brown handle version is unique to Willie.

In my Series 1 review, I mentioned that Willie was a character I hoped to get, and he is one of the standout figures of this series. That being said, he does have a couple issues. The overalls design doesn't go all the way to the bottom, leaving a very noticeable stripe along the bottom front of the torso, and there is no rear printing on his back for the X shaped overall straps. Also, he is a groundskeeper...though he does perform other janitorial duties, the most obvious accessory should be a rake for, well, keeping the grounds.

How to find him: Feel for the rubbery round plunger.
"These tests will have no effect on your grades. They merely determine your future social status and financial success. If any." - Edna Krabappel

What you get: Mrs. Krabappel has an appropriately tired look on her face after putting up with Bart Simpson and the other unruly children at Springfield Elementary School. Her bright green torso, bright green "underwear", and turquoise cloth dress are unique. The pink mug has been around a while, and the picture of her pen-pal "Woodrow" (actually real-life professional hockey player Gordie Howe) is from season 3 (1992).

Review: 10/10
Edna is yet another one of the great figures in this series (despite the cloth dress). Just the coffee mug (right, "coffee") would have been enough for an accessory, but the inclusion of the "Lego-fied" portrait of Woodrow just went above and beyond to reference the classic era of the show.

How to find her: Feel for the 2x2 tile plus the round mug (with handle).
"Look at all the wonderful things you have, Mr. Burns: King Arthur's Excalibur, the only existing nude photo of Mark Twain, and that rare first draft of the constitution with the word "suckers" in it." - Waylon Smithers

What you get: The sycophantic assistant to Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers is dressed in a unique olive green jacket with white undershirt and purple bow tie. His sand blue pants are very common. Malibu Stacy (with new hat!) is from an episode in season 5 (1994)...incidentally, the same episode as the first appearance of Buzz Cola. Surprisingly, with all the Friends sets, the 2x2 plate in dark pink hasn't been used before.

Review: 10/10
Clearly saving the best for last in this series, Smithers is yet another excellent entry. My only minor nitpick is that the 2x2 plate was unnecessary as the 2x2 tile could easily have stood on its own...though it does help distinguish him from Homer and Hibbert when feeling the bag.

How to find him: Feel for the 2x2 plate.
"Mrs. Simpson, I'm afraid your husband is dead. Ahehehe! April Fools. He's very much alive, although I'm afraid he may never walk again. - Dr. Hibbert

What you get: Perpetually jovial Dr. Hibbert has a unique torso, with lab coat, purple undershirt, green tie, and stethoscope design. His legs continue the lab coat design on the front and sides. The X-ray of Homer's head with a crayon lodged in his brain is from season 12 (2001).

Similar to Prof. Frink, the lab coat being painted over the legs on just the front and sides makes an odd, apron-like appearance. Again, the torso could be used on its own I think, but the legs really can't. Pretty good accessory, though it is pushing the boundary of when the show started to be no longer watchable.

How to find him: (see Homer)

Price:
When the Series 1 Simpsons figures were released, they came with a 33% increase in price, and I felt this was justified by the licensing and new heads/accessories. In the time since, two more non-licensed sets of minifigures were released that also cost $4 apiece. Whether it was an inevitable price increase for the product line, or Lego just realized they could get away with charging more based on sales of The Simpsons series, I cannot say. Either way, the second series of The Simpsons is still $4 for each character, $64 total (not counting tax or duplicates). While I still feel the individual price is fair based on the reasons above, there are definitely some figures in this series that are a better value than others, particularly characters outside the main family that don't use the same heads (and you have to get Lisa and Maggie for the pets).

Final Thoughts:
While I can understand reusing the main family's heads to save on production costs, at this point it really wasn't necessary to include them. With 11 new head molds already, I can't imagine it would've been too much more of a hassle to just make 16 all new Springfield residents, particularly when they know how well they will sell. Off the top of my head, we could've got Principal Skinner, Sideshow Bob, Otto, and Moe if they could get away with having a bartender, while keeping the family pets together in one package (but give them some movement with turning/tilting heads and a little accessory for each).

As with the first series, this is yet another reminder of how great the show used to be. All the episode-specific accessories, with the exception of Comic Book Guy's, are 14+ years old. I actually wonder how much pressure they were under to include at least one reference from a newer season in each series, like Marge's "Donut Fancy" magazine in Series 1...

Once again, I'll close with some little scenes created with characters from both series. Enjoy!

StClair
Count
Count

Re: [Review] The Simpsons Minifigure Series II

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Incredibly detailed review. Love the humorous pics at the end and the quotes throughout from the show.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Great review, i especially like the tips on how to find the characters by their accessories.

shaggy.lego
I'm New !

Post by shaggy.lego » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:00 am

great review! informative, detailed, and hilarious. well done :)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 am

Nice review. Still having a hard time to get Homer or the doctor dude. Only way to tell is the head.

pro_zach
Peasant
Peasant

Post by pro_zach » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you all for the comments and promotion on the front page! I had planned to do a review of the Kwik-E-Mart as well, but *someone* beat me to it :)

brickninjarex
I'm New !

Post by brickninjarex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 am

Wow! This is a awesome review. Vert detailed and specific.

Ankhros
I'm New !

Post by Ankhros » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:13 pm

As if I didn't already have enough reasons to make a trip to Toys R Us.