Grand emporium on shopgoodwill

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Grand emporium on shopgoodwill

Post by grommom » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Saw that it's still at less than $50, it is used and maybe a bunch of bidders waiting to snipe at the last minute but I thought I'd share since it looks reasonable for now http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/GR ... 13102.html

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Grand emporium on shopgoodwill

Post by Zeya » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Oh that will get bid up to unreasonable levels. You'll see. There was a time when I was checking out shopgoodwill.com to find deals. But things seem to get bid up like crazy there, worse than on eBay. My advice is don't even waste your time with that site.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks, there is a reseller or at least I assume so near me, even another goodwill shopper warned me about him buying every lot of LEGO every week... Like thousands of dollars. Luckily I seem to have figured out his formula, so if I really want something I can beat him but then have to go against other people who are willing to beat him too. I've won a couple auctions, one of which they accidentally didn't label LEGO in the title so he didn't see it, lol.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Locally too?
VENI VIDI VICI

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:12 pm

lordoflego wrote:Locally too?
I assume the guy who buys all the lots near me (San Diego) is local as they are so heavy shipping would make them too expensive. They let you pick up stuff once a week with no shipping fee so it is not too bad.... That emporium got really $$$ at the end, I just checked it. That wasn't local to me but I was thinking maybe someone would win it in that area and pick it up, as zeya predicted it got higher than one I saw on eBay... The only benefit I could see in paying more at the good will than eBay is you could potentially deduct the value over the retail value on your taxes if you itemize because good will is a charity.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:14 pm

But can Legos be bought at local goodwill stores?
VENI VIDI VICI

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 am

lordoflego wrote:But can Legos be bought at local goodwill stores?
Oh in my area no, because they do not sell any toys due to liability and even the auctions are labeled as collectibles, and not to be used by children (a cya I'm sure)

ammes7
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ammes7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:20 am

Depends on the store I guess. The Goodwill store in my area sells toys and I have found Lego more then once. They usually do not sit on the shelf long at all. I got a huge basket FULL of Lego sets and minifigs for $11 once,there were over 100 minifigs in the basket, that was my best find.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

ammes7 wrote:
Depends on the store I guess. The Goodwill store in my area sells toys and I have found Lego more then once. They usually do not sit on the shelf long at all. I got a huge basket FULL of Lego sets and minifigs for $11 once,there were over 100 minifigs in the basket, that was my best find.
Nice! Personally I don't mind that they don't have toys in store because the salvation army has toys and I don't even want to touch them because they look totally nasty, eg one time I saw a potty seat bundled with toys, ick. I know that the toys aren't clean when they're auctioned but at least I don't have to rifle through really gross stuff because someone has done that for me when they picked the item to post on the website. Plus I get to buy some vintage stuff that probably I wouldn't have the chance to find in store.

I'd recommend checking in store and if you don't see a toy section, go to shopgoodwill.com and see if there's a location near you for local pick up. Generally I only buy locally unless there a rare item or light weight item that I haven't been able to find locally, as shipping generally kills a deal, but some stuff in willing to pay to ship eg I found a rare puppet that was never sold in the US so I bought it because I knew it never have the opportunity to get it again without buying it from another country.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Most of the Goodwills near me have toys. It's usually in the far back corner on a wall or just one side of the low shelves. I don't go too often. I did buy a quart-sized ziplock bag filled with lego and off-brand bricks a while back. Still haven't got around to sanitizing it! :/

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:42 am

From what I understand all of Goodwill's Lego inventory in the Washington DC area is now sold via auction - before that the Washington DC Area Goodwill was apparently selling all their Lego to regional reseller so they were not showing up in the stores. The Washington DC area has a competitive Lego reseller's market. With respect to buying - shopGoodwill charges quite a bit for shipping. If you can pick up a item at the regional warehouse you can avoid the shipping charges. Some Shopgoodwill Lego auction items will have a significant amount of non-Lego parts ( Mega block, KReo, Best-Lock, Knex, and so forth ) as well as just regular toys (like generic plastic green army soldiers) and other times it is pure Lego. The quality varies widely and often to get pure Lego - some sweat equity is needed.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Neo wrote:From what I understand all of Goodwill's Lego inventory in the Washington DC area is now sold via auction - before that the Washington DC Area Goodwill was apparently selling all their Lego to regional reseller so they were not showing up in the stores. The Washington DC area has a competitive Lego reseller's market. With respect to buying - shopGoodwill charges quite a bit for shipping. If you can pick up a item at the regional warehouse you can avoid the shipping charges. Some Shopgoodwill Lego auction items will have a significant amount of non-Lego parts ( Mega block, KReo, Best-Lock, Knex, and so forth ) as well as just regular toys (like generic plastic green army soldiers) and other times it is pure Lego. The quality varies widely and often to get pure Lego - some sweat equity is needed.
Toy are right one the money, i got one lot that was really nice, and seems to have most sets complete or close with little wear and the other one was a pretty bad mess of broken worn pieces.
both had random other stuff but the nice lot had good condition other stuff like cobi and megablox Ands the bad condition lot had lego and other stuff that looked literally melted, perhaps from touching cheap novelty erasers. I do love rummaging around to find potential treasures though!