[REVIEW] 7746: Single-Drum Roller

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
13%
Average
50%
Poor
38%

Total votes: 8

toystest
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 7746: Single-Drum Roller

Post by toystest » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Indexed

Name: Single-Drum Roller(#7746)
MSRP: $29.99
Pieces: 208
Price Per Piece: $0.14
Minifigures: 2

LEGO Description
LEGO® City is always growing, and right now it needs new roads! With its massive drum, the construction roller flattens soil and asphalt to make safe roads for city vehicles to drive wherever they need to go. Roller drum spins to flatten the soil and the front end pivots with every curve of the road! Includes 2 construction worker minifigures and accessories Measures 7" (17cm) long
The front of the box shows one of the minifigures in the drum roller about to roll over the other minifigure on foot. It also has the ' Modular Build - Easy Start' on it. Which hints at the 2 bags of legos in this set. One makes the cabin, the other the roller and the wheels.
The back of the box shows the contents of the box, some other city sets and some detail shots of the Roller and minifigures.

The instruction book is about 2/3's of a full page, it shows the same picture as the front of the box.

Here is a random page from the instructions. The instructions are missing the little pick list box, however the build is so easy that is does not really make a difference:

Now let take a look at what makes this Roller Roll. The drum exists out of 5 'Wheel Wagon Viking with 12 holes' (wow who made up that name) and two yellow water wheels. All this is strung along a 16 Axle. The wheels are the same ones used in various other city sets like for instance the combine harvester
Here are some of the other rare pieces. The Pivot is actually made out of 3 separate pieces, but they make more sense hooked together.

Lego provides you with 2 worker minifigures with this set. Their outfits are kind of generic. Their faces however are kind of fun.
The back could have done with some printing.
Here they are with some of the fun accessories, There are two traffic cones, a shovel, a broom and a very nicely designed .. uhm I am not sure what the thing is called.

So now the moment everyone has been waiting for. Here is the complete drum roller. The stickers that came with this set met the same fate as several others, they are now part of a wonderful art piece my son made. It would have been nice if the roof had a easier opening mechanism then just taking it off.
The rear bumper is kind of some cool sideways building. The 6x1 slopes give the back a nice round finish.
The Drum pivots pretty nicely, it doesn't really have enough traction to make nice turns, but it is a cool effect and my son loves making it make turns with some of his help. The two lights and mirrors that are hooked up to the front of the cabin come of very easily. It got my son quite frustrated so we ended up just taking them off.

The modular build was interesting, it's especially cool how everything comes nicely together in the end. To me the 14 cent a piece is a nono, but I got it 50% off from S@H, so to me they were only 7 cents a piece. You can pick this set up for around 20$ on bricklink at which point it's right around the 10 cents mark. There are some interesting building technices in this set (like the drum and the rear bumper) along with some pretty cool pieces. There are very few standard pieces in this set. If I were to include my normal 1pt of per 1 cent over 10 rule this set would get a 5/10 (4 pts for the price, 1/2 for the very loose mirrors and another 1/2 for no easy way to get the minifig in and out). Since this set is easily obtained for around 20$ I would like to also include my rating at that price, which would be 9/10. If you can get this set on sale for around 20$ it's definitely worth it. I would have a really hard time recommending it at full price.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [REVIEW] 7746: Single-Drum Roller

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 am

I too picked it up at 50% off.
Was glad, its a nice set.
Although as you mentioned full price would have been hard to swallow.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:18 am

ncbarrett wrote:I too picked it up at 50% off.
Was glad, its a nice set.
Although as you mentioned full price would have been hard to swallow.
Yeah this really doesn't seem to be a 30$ set in my opinion. 24.99 or maybe even 20.99 would have been a lot better. I guess that's why Lego has been discounting it since last X-mas.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:02 am

tru.com happens to have this @ $19.98

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3311014
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Got this set for 15$ a few months ago at Lego store. Gave it as a gift and my nephew loved it.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 pm

It's $15 at S@H and didn't sell out. I'm thinking of buying one, not sure if I really want it.