[REVIEW] 7572 Quest Against Time

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
88%
Average
No votes
Poor
13%

Total votes: 8

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7572 Quest Against Time

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Indexed

NAME: Quest Against Time #7572
LINE: Prince of Persia
# of Pieces: 506
MSRP: $69.99 (CAN)

The second largest of the Prince of Persia sets, Quest Against Time has interesting things to sell itself. Lets take a closer look shall we.

The front of the box lets us know about the included light up brick, and that there are small pieces inside which could cause a choking hazard. They weren't kidding about the small pieces. I can't remember the last time I saw so many cheese slopes and 1x1 round tiles. But I digress.

The back of the box shows the alternative way to attach the two main pieces, shows how to light up the brick, and attempts to highlight some of the play features. We'll discuss the so called play features later.

The box contains 2 instructions booklets, and 5 numbered bags. There are no stickers.

The cover of the instruction books.

And a random page from the book. Once again, my daughter helped me put this together, and she was able to follow the instructions for the most part without any help from me. The instructions are quite easy to follow, making for a fast build.

The contents of the first bag. This bag contains all the mini figures and nothing else. I hate having to dig through 4 or 5 bags to find all the mini figure parts, so I was quite happy with this.

The mini figures assembled. In this set we have our hero, Prince Dastan, once again equipped with his double sword carrier, Prince Tamina, Nizam, and Zolm. I assume Zolm likes snakes, and that he and Nizam are the bad guys. Don't know for sure, but they look evil. There is an extra Dagger of Time included. The Dagger is a soft, flexible plastic that looks nice, but isn't very practical. More on that later. All the mini figures look very nice. I don't know what happened to Zolm's eyes though. The patterning on Nizam's torso and pants are particularly nice.

Only Nizam has any printing on the back of his torso, but both Dastan and Tamina have the double face. Here they are with the scared/angry face showing.

Bag number two brings us lots of nice colours and lots and lots of tiles.

Here is what bag number 2 builds us, with the extra pieces shown above it.

Flip it around and we see one of the traps our heroes have to avoid. Flick this scythe and down on your head it will come.

The contents of bag 3. More of the same, with a few interesting pieces. These parts attack onto what we built in from bag 2.

The front half of the set is now complete. If you look at the bottom of the picture, on either side you can see a 1x1 round tile. These are attached to the mechanisms to make the giant blade and the swords come down on our heroes. There were a few extra pieces, but they are not pictured.

The contents of bag 4. This forms the base for the Sands of Time.

The completed base. Unless I dropped a piece on the floor, this was the only bag without extra pieces in it.

Bag number 5 gives us this. Here we find the light up brick. On the bottom of it, you have to pull out a little plastic tab to activate it.

This picture from part way through the build shows us the light up brick on a sliding base. This will be how they light up the sands of time.

The completed Sands of Time, with its one extra piece to the side.

And the Sands of Time attached to the base.

The completed set. You can also attach the two parts of the set in the offset way pictured on the box cover.

Now, here in this picture I am attempting to demonstrate how to use the play features, in this case, the giant saw blades. To bring the blades down on the victim, you are supposed to slide it forward. Well, the problem is, it doesn't work very well. In fact, mine jams almost every time. Its annoying.

On the other side of the aisle, we have the mechanism to drop the swords. It doesn't work very well either.

Once you get past the saw blade, the swords, a spinning mechanism of some kind, and the previously mentioned hidden scythe, you reach the Sands of Time. Oh, but our bad guy has one last trick up his sleeve. Press down on the gray tile, and our hero will be launched off the cliff. Well, it works ok, not great, but ok.

Finally the Sands of Time. It does look pretty cool lit up. I had to turn off the flash to get the lit up Sand to show, so it doesn't look quite that impressive. What you do is insert the Dagger of Time into the hole in the set, which pushed the light up brick back into the wall behind, lighting up the Sand. The problem is, doing so bends the Dagger of Time. (Remember me mentioning the soft, flexible plastic?) My worry would be, do that enough times and your Dagger will be permanently bent, or broken. I had to stick it in several times and twist it around before it would work the second time I tried it.

Final marks:

Mini Figures. 5/5 As with the other Prince of Persia sets, the figures are outstanding.

Parts: 4/5 Lots of nice pieces in new colours, and some new pieces such as the new style half arches and the 2x4 tiles. It loses a mark for the useless pieces like the giant saw blade (useless outside this set anyway.)

Play features: 2/5. The lit up Sands of Time are pretty impressive, but the other ones don't work very well, and using your Dagger of Time to light up the Sand ruins the Dagger.

Value: 3/5 The price per piece ratio is one of the better ones for this line, but it is still a lot to pay.

Overall score (not average) 6.5/10. A nice set that looks good, but fails a bit in the execution of the play features.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Re: [REVIEW] 7572 Quest Against Time

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for sharing this review - I wasn't sure if I should get this set or not - I really love the minifigures, but aside from that am not crazy about the set. Maybe I'll have to look at Bricklink!
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:12 am

I just bought the set and mine includes an extra dagger like yours so I think it corrects the bending problem, also I agree that the play features aren't the best. But other tan that I really like it. 8/10.

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Transformers2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Everybody wrote:I just bought the set and mine includes an extra dagger like yours so I think it corrects the bending problem, also I agree that the play features aren't the best. But other tan that I really like it. 8/10.
The set does look very exciting on the box though.

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm

This is one of my favs of the line. Yes this is expensive line and bought one of these at full price. Then sales I got 4 for 25$ each. great deal there. I love the figs and the knive it comes with. Always can use more light bricks.

Aragorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Aragorn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 am

This set ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!