Should I get the motorized AT-AT or the AT-AT Walker?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Should I get the motorized AT-AT or the AT-AT Walker?

Post by gabriellee11 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Which AT-AT should I get? The Motorized Walking AT-AT(10178) or the AT-AT Walker(8129)?

Please, help me decide which one should I buy.

imooumoo
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Should I get the motorized AT-AT or the AT-AT Walker?

Post by imooumoo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Motorized AT-AT is good for animations, but the walker is good for collection because of minifigs, and overall design.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:03 am

I got the motorized one before it's gone. 25 extra VIP points if you get one next month. The Lego store actually got them. I haven't seen them since last xmas. I also agree that the minifigs are pretty cool with the set.

Didn't put it together yet.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:22 am

It really depends on what you are after. If you actually play with your LEGO sets and want to re enact the Battle of Hoth, go for the motorized one. If all you care about is having some LEGO eye candy go for the regular AT AT Walker.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm currently stuck in the same dilemma. I like the idea of a motorized AT-At, but I'm not sure if like it enough to pay an extra $20.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:53 am

get the latest during a sale. the price will increase as it has more minifigure than the previous, and it is a LIMITED EDITION. motorized doesn't seem to yield much premium judging from the power function dino set. that set included so many power function bricks but still sell terribly now. :lol:

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Personally, I couldn't care less about minifigs or resale value. For me it all comes down to whether or not an actual walking AT-AT is worth an extra $20.

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:42 am

Yankeenken and gabriellee11 - I got the motorized walker as an anniversary present from my wife, and I think it is WAY worth the extra $20. There really aren't many rare minifigs in the new walker that you can't get elsewhere, and if that's not an issue then go for the gold. I think my wife likes the motorized walker than I do, b/c everytime we have guests over she wants to show them the moving walker. It really is cool, and is definitely worth it. And in all honesty, I think it looks pretty great too. I hope that helps!
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for the response, GoN2Broadway. Your review has pushed me over the edge and I think I will pick up the motorized AT-AT next time I get the chance. Plus 20 extra VIP points is never a bad thing.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:42 pm

yankeeken wrote:Thanks for the response, GoN2Broadway. Your review has pushed me over the edge and I think I will pick up the motorized AT-AT next time I get the chance. Plus 20 extra VIP points is never a bad thing.
i would consider picking up from amazon.com. it occasionally is offered as a gold box deal. and is sales tax free for most states. much better than 20 vip points. :)

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Anyone know which one is bigger??

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 pm

natelite wrote:i would consider picking up from amazon.com. it occasionally is offered as a gold box deal. and is sales tax free for most states. much better than 20 vip points. :)
Thanks. I ended up think about that later anyway, as I remembered that I still had $20 in my account from some old video game trade-ins.
gabriellee11 wrote:Anyone know which one is bigger??
Obviously I don't have either yet, but this is what FBTB's Gingerbread Man said in response to a similar question:
Gingerbeard Man wrote:The motorized one can look very odd, depending on what angle the legs and the head are at when you turn off the battery box. Its body is longer than that of the new one, which in turn is slightly higher.

My overall favourite is still the original 4483 AT-AT. The hump on the new one is a little too pronounced for my liking.

EDIT - In case you really want those measurements:

10178 (motorized)
Length: 38cm (tip of blaster to end of body) / 43cm (tip of blaster to foot extended back)
Width: 13cm (body) / 17cm (feet)
Height: 32cm

8129 (new 2010)
Length: 33cm
Width: 12cm
Height: 33cm

bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bluemitch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:43 am

natelite wrote: i would consider picking up from amazon.com. it occasionally is offered as a gold box deal. and is sales tax free for most states. much better than 20 vip points. :)
Isn't the 20 points for the new version only?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 am

I just built the motorized AT-AT sunday during the SW marathon. Definetely worth the extra $20 when you see it walk. Went back to lego thinking of picking up the AT-AT walker but everybody at the store thinks the extra $20 for the motorized one is way better, unless they were trying to get rid of them.