LEGO Modular suggestions?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

LEGO Modular suggestions?

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Have liked all the sets so far, but have not purchased any.
The other day my wife mentioned she likeD their style of architecture.
So am thinking of getting one for her, when i get the $$, which could be soon.

So I ask,
What would be a good first one?

I think she'd really like the emporium, however since it is newest, I assume it will be around longer, so I am thinking the fire brigade (my favorite) or green grocer. I don't need to get them all, since they all "work" together and can just get them when I am able to. When I got the 7945 Fire station she helped me build it and commented that she liked building it with me, and she has commented the fire brigade is nice, so I'm leaning toward that one.

I am looking mostly for suggestions from people who have them all, or a few of them, and especially from females since I am getting it for my wife. :D
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO Modular suggestions?

Post by slacker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:40 pm

I have the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium. I like the Emporium best. First it's got 3 floors and more architectural features. Lots of figures. Plus it's a department store. The Fire house is only two floors. One of the big let down in my opinion is that fire house uses two small base plate instead of one large plate. I'm trying to get my hands on Cafe Corner in Europe. Let's see how that goes. I think Green Grocer will be gone by next year as I haven't seen any at the Lego store.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Last year for Christmas I bought myself the Green Grocer. After much begging on my part, my wife and I build it together and to her surprise she really liked it. She really enjoyed the together time as well as the time we could spend with out kid (2 years old) playing with it once we got done building it. The next one we opted to get was the Cafe Corner, days before it was discontinued. The main reason we got it, because we wanted to collect most of them and not pay 400-500$ for the set. The Next one on our list (X-mas 2010) will be the Fire brigade.

So my recommendation would be to get the Green Grocer as I am expecting it to be retired this year. The Green grocer is an interesting build with some very nice interior and exterior detail. We had the model setup in our living room for quite some time. It does seem however that the sets get more detailed every year, so the Emporium has more detail then the Green Grocer.

imooumoo
Citizen
Citizen

Post by imooumoo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Go with what she says, because you are getting it for her after all.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 am

imooumoo wrote:Go with what she says, because you are getting it for her after all.
I can't ask her which one she wants, since it will be a surprise. :ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:00 am

I got the opportunity to check out green grocer at the Lego store lastnight while finishing my CMF2 sets. There is so much open space in the back of the building unlike Emporium. It's just like the fire brigade. So here is my recommendation. Get Green grocer if you plan to get all the sets because I feel that they are going to retire it this year. Get Emporium is you only get to pick one as the set is much larger.

imooumoo
Citizen
Citizen

Post by imooumoo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

ncbarrett wrote:
imooumoo wrote:Go with what she says, because you are getting it for her after all.
I can't ask her which one she wants, since it will be a surprise. :ugeek:
You said that she showed interest in the fire brigade. Do that one.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:50 am

I only have the Fire Brigade, but I enjoyed the build. I like all the "mini builds" within: the fridge, ping pong table, sofa, sink, etc. The 30s era fire truck is pretty boss too.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 pm

I have none (just came out from dark age). I probably will take "toystest" suggestion.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I agree with toytest too!!! =D

grogall
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by grogall » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:28 pm

I have all of them except for Marked Street which I never really thought was part of the series.
Although the are all great and I'm already waiting for the next one with great anticipation, you will
regret not getting Green Grocer when its gone! It also has more interior detail then Grand Emporium as well as
more pieces. So I would recommend it before it is gone.

aznfevr
I'm New !

Modular Sets?

Post by aznfevr » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:44 pm

How long do the Modular Sets usually stick around for? I am planning on buying the Green Grocer and Grand Emporium but am wondering how long I have until they completely go away. Which one do you all prefer over the other? Also where would be the bet place to purchase these from? I have been using Lego S@H for a lot of my purchases. I also can't wait for the Tower Bridge, but that should be around for awhile.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:15 am

Hi, aznfevr - as we already have a topic about Modular Building suggestions, I'm appending your new topic to it - I hope some of your questions have been answered here already, and if not I'm sure someone will come by and answer the rest.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

indiababu
Citizen
Citizen

Green Grocer or Grand Emporium?

Post by indiababu » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:33 am

If you had to choose, which one would you rather have - the Green Grocer or the Grand Emporium ?

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Green Grocer or Grand Emporium?

Post by autobrick » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 am

indiababu wrote:If you had to choose, which one would you rather have - the Green Grocer or the Grand Emporium ?
Personally, I would say the Green Grocer is my overall favorite modular building, so I would go for it. However, if you only want to buy one single modular building for display, I would say that the Grand Emporium is more imposing because it is a corner building (two fronts).

Of course, if you intend to buy both of them eventually, go for the Green Grocer because it will be discontinued first.

As for me,I already have the Green Grocer, and the Grand Emporium is on it's way! :D Unfortunately, I am too busy to build them yet.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:56 am

Post moved from Sales & Deals forum. This topic will do for LEGO Modular Buildings suggestions.

ThunderFighter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ThunderFighter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:31 pm

indiababu wrote:If you had to choose, which one would you rather have - the Green Grocer or the Grand Emporium ?
Get the Grand Emporium. Its the best of all buildings. But since it just came out, you might want to get Green Grocer first before it gets retired. Prices goes up cracy after it gets discontinued.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Grocer, Emporium, or Alley?

Post by Everybody » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Should I get the green grocer, grand emporium, or wait for diagon alley. Advice?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Grocer, Emporium, or Alley?

Post by natelite » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 pm

diagon alley. if you are concerned over discontinued sets, get them in the sequence they were released. grocer then emporium and alley.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Grocer, Emporium, or Alley?

Post by Everybody » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks.