[REVIEW] 7078: King's Battle Chariot

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
50%
Average
50%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

toystest
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 7078: King's Battle Chariot

Post by toystest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Indexed

Name: King's Battle Chariot (#7078)
MSRP: $19.99
Pieces: 103
Price Per Piece: $0.19
Minifigures: 4

LEGO Description
Evil trolls are attacking, and the knights need help! With banners waving high and his best royal guard by his side, the King charges onto the battlefield in his crossbow-equipped battle chariot. Now that the king is here, those villains don't stand a chance! Includes horse and 4 minifigures: The Good King, knight and 2 trolls Each minifigure comes with medieval accessories, even the horse has a helmet Battle chariot is equipped with cross bow, spears and banners flying high Horse and chariot measure over 9 inches (23cm) in length
First let's take a look at the box, the box, for a 100 piece set is very big, there is a lot of empty room inside. It however makes for a very nicely detailed box.

Inside this huge box you'll find one instruction booklet and 2 bags of bricks

Here is a random page from the instructions:

This comes with no less than four minifigures, for such a small set that seems to be a very high amount. Not only are there 4 minifigs, but they are 4 cool minifigs with lot's of accessories. Let's take a look at the two trolls and their accessories first. Their helmets are very cool and so are the printed shields they carry. The chest piece are very nicely printed as well, they would have been really neat if the back had been printed as well.
Next let's take a look at the king and his knight. The Knight is pretty plain, I think that his helmet is the coolest thing about him. The king on the other hand is very neat, both the chest and the legs are printed on the front and the chest piece is also printed in the back. He has a very nice suit of armor, and a very shiny gold helmet and sword.
Here are all 4 minifigures in their full gear
The king can even ride the horse that comes with the set:

The brown wheels are only in this set, there are some other sets with these in them, but they are in blue and purple. The blue quarter circle pieces are pretty cool as well, al though they are not quite as rare.
Of the golden pieces in this set the rarest are probably the horses helmet, the king's chest piece and his sword, and the banners.

Let's take a look at the chariot now. The king looks magnificent on the chariot, especially with the knight standing right behind him watching his back.
Let's look at the carriage in some more detail. I really think the wheels are very cool. The tray that the treasure chest is standing on could have been a little bit sturdier.
And here is the complete set including the two trolls. The mounted crossbow and the spears provide some nice extra detail, they make the carriage seem even more fearful. The horse seems too small to pull the entire carriage, maybe it should have been just a little bit bigger or if that's not possible a second horse would have been nice. (I'll just have to get the horse from the second set I bought)

Normally I don't like sets that are above 10 cents a piece, but with 4 minifgs, a horse and some nice accessories this set seems to be reasonable priced. This is not a set that I would normally have bought, but Lego S@H had them on sale for 13.98 and I picked up two for 27.91 shipped. At that price the set was too hard to pass up. I was surprised to find that I really like this set. There are some very rare pieces in it and it has a lot of playability. To me it looks like the minifigures in this set can match in quality with the minifigs in the series 1 and 2. Short of the price per piece this set has no negatives, therefor I rank this set 9/10. I realize this set is no longer officially sold by Lego, but it can still be found on bricklink for less then 20$ and even at that price this set is worth it.

Eddy976
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 7078: King's Battle Chariot

Post by Eddy976 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 am

I agree the box size is blown up much bigger than it should be for 100 pieces. But they can't retail it for this high if its not for the box ;) . Thanks for the review.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 am

Eddy976 wrote:I agree the box size is blown up much bigger than it should be for 100 pieces. But they can't retail it for this high if its not for the box ;) . Thanks for the review.
yeah the box could probably easily hold a 300-400 piece set.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Looks like someone found a clearance item. I have this set myself and It's decent, if entirely impractical. It's nice to have 4 very well equipped minifigures, especially the two trolls. I'm going to miss those trolls.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:39 am

legitimatealex wrote:Looks like someone found a clearance item. I have this set myself and It's decent, if entirely impractical. It's nice to have 4 very well equipped minifigures, especially the two trolls. I'm going to miss those trolls.
I'm a starting AFOL, so for the time being my only concern is getting lots of cheap bricks :D
So anything that's on sale I'll pick up. The only exception to that is the lego creator sets, cause even the worse of those are very cheap per piece.

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 am

legit - I will miss those trolls as well :( They were such great villains, and had potential to continue growing. Alas, we shall now only find them within the dimly lit halls of Castle Bricklink ;)

Good review -thanks!
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 am

GoN2Broadway wrote:legit - I will miss those trolls as well :( They were such great villains, and had potential to continue growing. Alas, we shall now only find them within the dimly lit halls of Castle Bricklink ;)

Good review -thanks!
I picked up two of these sets when lego had them 35%, one to open and one to sell, I think I am going to open the second one. These are still pretty cheap on bricklink, they won't be much longer as prices will start going up substantially

imooumoo
Citizen
Citizen

Post by imooumoo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I wish I got back into Lego when this series was out instead of Kingdoms.

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm

imooumoo wrote:I wish I got back into Lego when this series was out instead of Kingdoms.
I agree with this 100%. I hit just the tail end of it and got the last couple sets. I like kingdoms but these sets were way better.