[TnB] Preview Review 10245 "Santa's Workshop"

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What do YOU think?

10 - It's a Christmas miracle!
6%
44%
13%
6%
13%
5 - I didn't get everything on my list
13%
6%
No votes
No votes
No votes
0 - Nothing but coal in my stocking
No votes

Total votes: 16

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

[TnB] Preview Review 10245 "Santa's Workshop"

Post by vynsane » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 am

Name: Santa's Workshop
Number: 10245
Theme: Creator Expert
Release Date: October 1, 2014 (VIP Early Access September 17)
Piece Count: 883
Minifig Count: 6
Age Rating: 12+
Cost: $69.99 USD / $89.99 CAD / £59.99 GBP / €69,99 EUR / 649,00 DKK

If your weather is like mine right now, it may feel completely alien to be thinking about the next winter holiday set, 10245 "Santa's Workshop" - I know I was not in the holiday spirit, sweating on my front porch while taking pictures and building! Thanks to the LEGO Community Engagement & Events team, we have the opportunity to review the sixth installment of the "Winter Village" theme. We'll see how this one stacks up to the previous offerings, but first, let's hear what LEGO has to say about this set:
Have festive family fun building Santa’s Workshop!

Enjoy the magic of Christmas with Santa’s Workshop, a festive addition to the LEGO® Winter Village Series! Gather your family around the Christmas tree to build this enchanting winter wonderland. Help the elves make the toys, feed the reindeer and help Santa load up his magical sleigh. Santa’s wife has baked cookies and the clock tower shows it’s nearly time for Santa to deliver the presents—all at the most wonderful time of the year! Includes 6 minifigures: Santa with red gift sack, Mrs. Claus with cookie tray and 4 elves with pointy ears and hats.
  • Includes 6 minifigures: Santa with red gift sack, Mrs. Claus with cookie tray and 4 elves with pointy ears and hats
  • Features beautiful sleigh with red and gold detail and dark green padding, 4 reindeer and a baby reindeer, building with detailed interior, clock tower and Christmas tree
  • Building features stained glass window and Christmas lights on roof
  • Accessories include: 4 wrapped presents in assorted sizes and 4 toys including a blue classic spaceship, yellow car and a pink wand
  • Also includes North Pole sign, Santa’s Workshop sign and a summer holiday picture of Santa and his wife
  • Gather everyone around the Christmas tree!
  • Help Santa take off in his sleigh!
  • Family dual-building experience: includes separate brick sets with instructions for adults and children aged 8 and over
  • Santa’s Workshop measures over 6” (16cm) high, 3” (8cm) deep and 9” (24cm) wide

Packaging

The box is rectangular, nearly twice as wide (19") as it is tall (11"), and thin, with a depth of only 2.25". Naturally, the front is adorned with an image depicting all the various parts of the overall build, with small callout window showing the 'inside' of the building. It's interesting to note that the copy I received used the more sturdy, corrugated construction that is glued instead of the thin-walled design that uses adhesive strips.

Like last year's 10235 "Winter Village Market", this set is marked under the "Creator Expert" subtheme. However, unlike any of its predecessors, the "Winter Village" prefix is conspicuously absent. No doubt this is because "Winter Village Santa's Workshop" reads a bit awkwardly, but still, it's a notable departure - as is the set itself. There is no lack of Christmas Trees in other sets of this line, but this is the first to acknowledge the big jolly old elf himself, though we've seen Ol' Saint Nick in CMF ser. 8 and last year's CITY Advent Calendar. It also appears he will show up yet again in this year's CITY Advent Calendar.

10245 Santa's Workshop box, front by vynsane, on Flickr

The back of the box displays the main building model from additional angles, as well as callout windows showing some up-close details.

10245 Santa's Workshop box, back by vynsane, on Flickr

The side of the box depicts all the minfigures, two of the reindeer (the one juvenile and one of the four that are fully-grown) as well as some of the smaller ancillary bits. My daughter delighted in the fact that two of the elves were being mischievous, stealing cookies from Mrs. Claus and "setting fire to the tree". That's quite the mischief, really.

10245 Santa's Workshop box, side by vynsane, on Flickr

The top of the box has a listing of all the pieces included in the box, as well as a small callout window displaying Mr. and Mrs. Claus at full-scale.

10245 Santa's Workshop box, top by vynsane, on Flickr

Parts, Instructions, and Stickers

The 883 pieces are broken up into nine bags, marked with a 1, 2, or 3, as well as two instruction booklets, one small sticker sheet and three 144mm "flex tubes" (one extra).

10245 Santa's Workshop bags, instructions by vynsane, on Flickr

The instructions and sticker sheet are not packaged with a cardboard backing, nor are they contained inside a flapped, taped bag, but are actually wrapped in a bag similar to those used for the pieces themselves. This makes it a bit harder to open and, obviously, impossible to re-use, which is a bit of a disappointment to me, as I've used the cardboard-backed bags to contain multiple instruction booklets from various sets. If this is a sign of things to come, I will eventually run out of such bag/board combos.

10245 Santa's Workshop bagged instructions by vynsane, on Flickr

The small sticker sheet has six distinct stickers, three of which are applied to 2x4 tiles, one to a 1x4 tile, and two to either side of the round ornate black sign, which we've only seen thus far in two Friends sets in white.

10245 Santa's Workshop stickers by vynsane, on Flickr

The instructions and parts are broken up in such a way that two people could build simultaneously - one using booklet 1 and bags marked "1", and the other building the remainder of the bags via booklet 2. I'm sure it's a cost-saving measure, but it surprises me that they didn't break bags marked "2" and bags marked "3" into separate booklets as well.

10245 Santa's Workshop instructions breakdown by vynsane, on Flickr

Build: Part 1

As delineated in the first page of instruction booklet 1, the bags marked with a "1" contain the pieces to build Santa's sleigh, four adult reindeer, one juvenile reindeer, a Christmas Tree, the North Pole, and Father Christmas, himself.

Unique/rare or notable pieces for this portion of the build include the Santa's torso, head, hat, and sack (in red for the first time), four "elephant tail/trunk" pieces in gold, five 1x1 bricks in brick-yellow with reindeer eye printing (four depicted, missed the fifth), four 2x2 curved slopes in brick-yellow with reindeer fur pattern, the aqua colored electric guitar, four 1x2 curved slopes in earth green, six 1x1 brick w/stud on the side in earth green, two 1x6x2 arch bricks in red (new design), two 1x3 arch bricks in brick-yellow, and four 1x1 stars in dark orange. I included the gold lightsaber bars because I honestly thought they were more rare, but they're apparently not :sad:

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 unique/rare pieces by vynsane, on Flickr

While there is no shortage of brick-built Christmas Trees, I am always delighted to see them built in different ways. This one is no exception, with a clever sculpting technique using four 2x4 wedge plates around 1x1 "travis bricks".

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 tree construction detail by vynsane, on Flickr

Santa's sleigh is built upon a white 4x6 plate. It makes sense for stability's sake, but looks odd when swooshing it around, like a huge pack of snow has wedged itself between the sleigh rails and will dislodge above some poor sap who is out getting that last-minute Christmas Eve gift. In fact, the plate and additional bricks have been removed (whether by photoshop of by hand is anyone's guess) on the back of the box!

Comprised of mostly earth green elements with a smattering of red and gold, it certainly looks the part!

Image10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 mid-build by vynsane, on Flickr

While the reindeer seem to be quite divisive in the community, I find their brick-built nature to be a breath of fresh air. The four adults are built with a removable section of two stacked 1x2 plates that can be replaced by the red 1x2 plate w/holder so they can be attached to the sleigh. The construction is simple but elegant and the two 1x2 plates can be removed remarkably easily. The sand yellow color of the top 1x2 plate matches perfectly to the fur printing on the 2x2 curved slope.

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 reindeer construction by vynsane, on Flickr

The fully constructed sleigh with the reindeer attached looks great, and will be a lot of fun for kids of all ages to swoosh around.

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 sleigh detail by vynsane, on Flickr

With the completion of all bags marked with a "1", we have Santa with a sleigh full of presents, and four reindeer ready to pull him on his journey, the juvenile reindeer, the Christmas Tree, and the North Pole

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 complete by vynsane, on Flickr

10245 Santa's Workshop, Part 1 complete by vynsane, on Flickr

Stay tuned for the rest of the build in part 2, coming soon!
Last edited by vynsane on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Adding poll
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

StClair
Count
Count

Re: [TnB Preview Review] 10245 "Santa's Workshop"

Post by StClair » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:37 am

I think this will be a set that I buy and don't part out undesired parts at all. I too like the brick built reindeer. I really like the printing on their backs. Love the curves of the sleigh from the side. Nice review and images

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:51 am

I like those reindeers. Where's the poll?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:05 pm

I'll put the poll up after I finish part 2, this is only the first half, don't want to the poll to be based on partial information ;-)

Ultdrake
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Ultdrake » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 pm

You make me happy! :clap:

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Thank you so much for posting this awesome and very detailed review. I love the print on the back of the reindeer, but I honestly am not too crazy about brickbuilt creatures. I tend to be much more fond of the molded ones, though I realize I am in the minority.

I love the piece count for this set and Mrs. Clauses' hair piece. This set looks incredibly fun!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks for the review. I am surprised you have received the set as early as Aug/Sept.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 am

^ The set will be widely available starting the first of October and is a VIP special advance-release set this month, so it's not that odd... though I, too, found it hard to get into the holiday mindset this early in the year ;-)

Onto part 2!

Build: Part 2

Bags marked "2" build the main entrance of the workshop, complete with Santa's second-floor study and the clock tower. The wealth of this sets' unique or rare pieces are found here, notably another pair of the "elephant tail/trunk" in gold, two 1x4 fence railings in gold, a 6x8 plate in nougat, two 1x4 brick bricks, a pair of the 1x1 plate with vertical tooth, two 2x4 tiles in dark orange, Mrs. Claus' skirt, and the black ornate round sign, so far only seen twice in white via Friends.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2 bags unique/rare pieces by vynsane, on Flickr

The base of the building is naturally formed of white plates. Basically comprised of two and a half walls, it features a "Welcome" mat and fireplace as well as rather intricate stone pillars as handrails for the front stoop.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, mid-build by vynsane, on Flickr

The main feature of the second floor is Santa's chair, where he sits to read letters and check his list, presumably twice.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, Santa's chair by vynsane, on Flickr

So far, the build gives off the essence of a gingerbread house, what with the brick yellow, medium nougat, dark orange and dark reddish-brown coloration. The dish with printed clock appears for the second time in a set, formerly only available in the "Town Hall".

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, complete by vynsane, on Flickr

Mrs. Claus is included in this portion of the build, complete with a tray of cookies.

The exterior adornments include the fancy "Santa's Workshop" sign and a pair of enormous candycanes in addition to the clock and chimney.

The interior features a fireplace with a cute vacation picture of Mr. and Mrs. Claus, the aforementioned "Welcome Ho-Ho-Home" mat, a ladder to the second floor, and Santa's study.

Image10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, details by vynsane, on Flickr

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, details by vynsane, on Flickr

The second floor exterior is exceptionally well designed, with the clock, snow deposits earth green windows and various colors.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 2, details by vynsane, on Flickr

Build: Part 3

Part 3 of the build contains the four elves, the rest of the workshop, and the toy manufacturing machine. Notable pieces include two more nougat 6x8 plates (three total in the set, previously only available in The Simpsons House) for the floor of the workshop, two more 1x4 brick bricks, and four 1x1 side-stud bricks in Dark Orange. The elves, naturally, each have the pointed hat and ears piece previously only seen in the CMF ser. 11 "Holiday Elf".

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 unique/rare pieces by vynsane, on Flickr

The workshop is built on a rather shallow base, with the two nougat 6x8 plates in an "L" shape. This leads to a depth of between four and six studs, which is rather shallow.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 mid-build by vynsane, on Flickr

The "stained-glass window" is built using a relatively simple, but effective, SNOT technique. Frankly, there isn't much "stained glass", with only four 1x2 translucent red plates on either side of the 1x4 fences.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 window construction detail by vynsane, on Flickr

The end result is a very detailed-looking window, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "stained-glass window" as it is called in the official product description.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 window construction by vynsane, on Flickr

The final result of part 3 continues the "ginger-bread house" look from part 2, of course, and adds the ubiquitous "Winter Village" string of "Christmas Lights" on the snowy roof, as well as a small window planter.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 building complete by vynsane, on Flickr

The interior features a work bench with a bolt of wrapping paper draped over it, two paint jars, and a couple of tools.

The final part of the build is the toy manufacturing machine, built primarily on a base of red bricks with studs on one side, of the 1x4 and 1x2 varieties.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 toy manufacturing machine mid-build by vynsane, on Flickr

The end result is a rather whimsical piece that seemingly produces any fully-realized toy of your dreams. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking on TLG's part, I'd imagine such a machine would make it a lot easier on them.

10245 Santa's Workshop, part 3 toy manufacturing machine complete by vynsane, on Flickr

The two brick-built toys, the classic spaceship and race car, are simple but well-designed. That said, the race car is almost exactly the same as the one found in Winter Village Toy Shop, with the 1x1 plate replaced with the 1x1 cheese slope.

10245 Santa's Workshop, brick-built toys by vynsane, on Flickr

In part 3 I'll round out this review with pictures of the entire build, some comparison shots, and minifigure details.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:28 am

Can't wait for part three to see the minifigure details!
Great part 2, I am so glad you posted pictures of individual pieces, this set has some fantastic pieces in great color! Quite honestly I was not too interested in this set when I saw the release announcement, and hadn't planned on purchasing it. To be frank, your review has totally changed my mind! There is absolutely no question that I will purchase this now.

My only gripe so far is the use of Mrs. Clause's head. Seems like she should have received her own special printing with a few wrinkles on there. I'm not crazy about her rehashed face.

byroads73
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by byroads73 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for the review. This set looks better than I was expecting. I think I will pick this one up as well.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 am

I've decided to conduct an experiment - I will post "part 3" of the review once this topic gets 3000 views. Currently, it's a a smidge over 2600, so get the word out - share the link any way you can!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:11 am

We reached 3000 views on this review over-night, so here's part 3!

Complete Building

The finished building is quite unique, mainly due to the angle of the workshop in relation to the entrance/clock tower. The utilization of the 1x1 plate with the vertical tooth for snow/ice hanging from various ledges is clever, and the touches of whimsy, such as the candycanes, "Santa's Workshop" sign, and clock, all add an air of magic to the outward appearance.

10245 Santa's Workshop, building complete by vynsane, on Flickr

The interior is, honestly, rather sparse compared to previous offerings. This is partly due to shallow depth of the building, there's not a lot of space for interior details or furniture. There are really only three pieces of furniture - Santa's chair, the workshop table, and a stool next to it (which is only a Dark Reddish-Brown 2x2 round brick). Santa's study, with the chair and letters receives the most attention, with the workshop bench coming in second.

However, in my estimation, the most glaring omission is the lack of a light brick. For four years, the mainstay feature of the Winter Village set was the inclusion of a light brick. While last year's Winter Village Market didn't have one, the mechanical action feature of the carousel made up for that fact. Here, there is no action feature, nor is there a light brick.

Comparisons

Obviously, compared to the past two years' rather enormous sets, each priced at $100 USD, this one pales. That said, comparing apples to apples, the only past set in the theme that matches the price point of this one is 10222 "Winter Village Post Office" with 822 pieces. Luckily, I still had the building itself built from last year (all other pieces were disassembled after the new year and put in storage).

From the front, they look relative the same size. While Santa's Workshop is a bit wider from side to side, the workshop portion is only one story, while both halves of the Post Office are two stories tall.

Image10245 Santa's Workshop comparison to 10222 Winter Village Post Office, front by vynsane, on Flickr

From the back, even with some missing interior items from the Post Office, the differences are more apparent. The lack of a tiled floor, which is also a staple of the previous buildings in the theme, is one notable difference. The Post Office is also deeper, and has a full roof.

Image10245 Santa's Workshop comparison to 10222 Winter Village Post Office, back by vynsane, on Flickr

Bear in mind, though, that the Post Office also came with a truck, a gazebo, and a small outdoor bench as well as seven minifigures and a dog. In comparison to the additional builds, the sleigh, reindeer and toy manufacturing machine take up roughly the same amount of pieces as the gazebo and truck combined, and the minifigure count is nearly even.

The whole thing

When all the pieces are assembled together, the value is apparent. The building and sleigh take up the lion's share of the pieces, but the additional builds and all the minifigures round out the whole package. I understand why the Christmas Tree and North Pole sign are both so small - to only include one or the other would have been viewed as a gross omission. However, they come off as afterthoughts that could have used a little more attention. Frankly, we have enough Christmas Trees in the rest of the series, as well as those offered as polybags via the Creator line, so I would have rather had a more robust "North Pole" sign.

10245 Santa's Workshop, complete set by vynsane, on Flickr

Minifigures

There are six minfiigures total, four elves of varying design, and Mr. and Mrs. Claus. They each have printing on the front of their torsos and faces. Mrs. Claus has a printed red slope brick for a skirt. Mrs. Claus has a hair piece, while the rest have hats.

10245 Santa's Workshop, minifigures front by vynsane, on Flickr

Only Mrs. Claus has printing on the back of her head, and the only torso with back printing is the red/green combo.

10245 Santa's Workshop, minifigures back by vynsane, on Flickr

Minfiigure Comparisons

Other than the unique red sack, the Santa minifigure included in the set is the exact same figure first seen in CMF ser. 8, and again in last year's CITY Advent Calendar. However, the printing on this version is a lot more opaque than its CMF counterpart.

10245 Santa's Workshop, Santa comparison by vynsane, on Flickr

The CMF version has quite a bit more pink showing through the white areas of the torso, and the black outlines are much more crisp on the newer version. This is not at all uncommon when the same prints are used in China and other facilities.

10245 Santa's Workshop, Santa comparison 2 by vynsane, on Flickr

In turn, the elves lend their existence to "Holiday Elf" from CMF ser. 11. Other than the hat, and the fact that they all have short legs, there is little similarity between the five depicted. Obviously, they could have included four of the exact same figure, so the fact that we get four distinct designs is commendable.

10245 Santa's Workshop, Elf comparison by vynsane, on Flickr

Just some fun!

"I just like scowling, scowling's my favorite!" by vynsane, on Flickr

"Your father's on the nice list" "NOOOOOOO!" by vynsane, on Flickr

Ratings

Design: 7/10
The building, from the front, is expertly designed. The gingerbread house coloring, the clock tower, the hints of whimsey all work together to form a cohesive facade. That said, it is merely a facade, lacking the depth of other offerings in the Winter Village line. The lack of a light brick is also a disappointment. Santa's sleigh and the brick-built reindeer are perfect, the toy manufacturing machine is cute, but the North Pole and Christmas Tree are a bit lackluster.

Build: 8/10
There are a few interesting techniques used, notably the angles of the building, the sleigh construction and the workshop window, but for the most part it's relatively standard fare.

Minifigures: 9/10
While we've seen this Santa a couple of times now, the printing is better than on the CMF counterpart. Mrs. Claus' unique printed skirt is well paired with the torso, head and hair. Where they could have skimped out and just given us four of the same figure, the elves have distinct designs as well as unique personalities, which is commendable.

Playability: 7/10
While there are a lot of minifigures and a wealth of objects incorporated in the set, there's not really a lot to DO with them. The most playable feature would be the sleigh itself, ready for swooshing. The flexible tubes used for the reins are strong enough to support all four reindeer when holding the sleigh itself, so one-handed swooshing is easy. Of course, the Winter Village theme has always been more geared towards display than play.

Parts: 10/10
As previously stated, there are a LOT of unique and/or rare parts in this set in great colors, particularly in the entryway/clock tower portion of the build.

Price: 10/10
At $70 USD for 883 pieces, the ratio is well below $0.10/piece. Add in the rarity of some of the pieces and this set is a really good deal.

Overall rating: 8.5/10

So, now that you've seen the entire review, tell us what you think!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 am

I can't believe I forgot, but you do get at least one extra 1x1 trans-red round plate, which you can use on any of the reindeer. You know why.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:06 am

Great review, I might actually pick this one up, passed on the last one.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:09 am

peanut wrote:Great review
Thanks!
I might actually pick this one up, passed on the last one.
Really? I thought last year's was really great. The carousel turns out to be a lot larger than it appeared at first blush and the little vendor huts were all relatively unique looking. The over-all design was a breath of fresh air compared to the other sets that preceded it, which were beginning to feel a bit rote.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Glad to see your final review score.

In addition to being disappointed by mrs. clause's face print, I am kindly saddened about her torso as well. There is a big difference between it and the slope for her dress. I know it's in TLGs best interest to recycle prints, but she surely deserves better than that!

Going over the review again, I really appreciate the cookie tray. Small details like that really improve this set. The 8.5 is well deserved.

gschubert
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by gschubert » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:09 am

The more I think about it, the more I think the reindeer should have been molded. TLG goes out of their way to make all kinds of crazy parts these days ... why not make realistic animals, especially when there are 8 of them in each set?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 am

^ Honestly, I don't know how they make the decisions to mold new animals vs. brick-building them, but I would think it would come down to reusability. Horses are naturally a perennial molded animal element and can be found in a lot of different themes. Reindeer - I don't know how else they could use them other than MAYBE in the Frozen Ice Palace, and even then it wouldn't look exactly like Sven unless it had a replaceable head. Other than that, it would require very specific themes (perhaps the Arctic theme could have benefited from them, but only slightly).

But then, try to explain molded Ostriches. :what?:

juflosolo
Peasant
Peasant

Re: [TnB] Preview Review 10245 "Santa's Workshop"

Post by juflosolo » Sun May 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Great review. Does anyone if this set will be available in 2015 or will new set come out this year?

vorpalblade
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [TnB] Preview Review 10245 "Santa's Workshop"

Post by vorpalblade » Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 pm

They have generally released a new Holiday themed medium sized set each year for the past 5 or 6 years.