[REVIEW] 8128 Cad Bane's Speeder

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
40%
Average
50%
Poor
10%

Total votes: 10

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 8128 Cad Bane's Speeder

Post by hatcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

Indexed

Name: Cad Bane's Speeder (8128)
Theme: Star Wars
Year: 2010
Pieces: 318
Price: $39.99 CAN ($49.99 USA)

I was not planning on getting this set, as it is a Target exclusive (Target exclusive's sometimes end up at Zeller in Canada, but not always) and it was SUPPOSED to cost $69.99, but when it appeared on shop@home for $39.99, I bought 2. (As they say, pictures or it didn't happen). The box cover shows the gang of bounty hunters in action. It is labeled "Special Edition".

The back of the box shows the "flick fire head lights" and the storage compartment, along with some of the other sets in this wave.

The contents of the box. 5 bags (not numbered), the instructions, and the DSS. (Dreaded Sticker Sheet). I will not be applying the stickers during the build, so you will have to use your imaginations.

The cover of the instruction book.

Inside the front cover (the mini figure instructions).

A random page from the instructions.

The mini figures. There are five. From left to right we have the Senate Commando Captain, Senate Commando, Cad Bane, Shahan Alama, and Assassin Droid. I really wish they had given us someone besides the Assassin Droid, like Aurra Sing, but since we already have 4 rare mini figures in the set as it is, we should be happy.

The Senate Commando Captain and Senate Commando. The Captain's markings made me think they came from France, but besides that, they are quite nice.

The bounty hunters. Cad Bane's hat is HUGE. His coat is quite nice. The other guy Shahan, has the usual Weequay facial markings, and nice torso.

Only the commando's and Shahan have patterns on their backs. Also notice Shahan's golden arm, cybernetic?

The Commando's without helmets, same heads as the other clone's in the Clone Wars line.

Shahan and the Captain are only available in this set. The Commando and Cad Bane are available in other sets, but each one is over $100 (Venator and Turbo Tank). The Assassin droid is available in a battle pack.

Cad Bane is the man. At least so far, in every episode he's been in, he's won. His mini figure is equally impressive.

Now, on to the speeder. I found the build quite straight forward. Only a few steps were tricky, and those usually involved the technique pieces. Here is the speeder at step 10.

Here it is at step 20.

Step 30.

Step 40.

This is step 47, and will be attached to the bottom. Notice the mechanism at top, That is to fire the flick fire head lights. "Shoot at my speeder will ya? Wait till I fire my head lights at you!"

The final step, 50. You can see some of the new 2x4 tiles that are now appearing in sets along the center.

The completed speeder from the side.

The storage compartment open.

The extra pieces.

"Alright Shahan, we've got the prisoners on board, now get us out of here!"

Final thoughts. Had this set been the expected $69.99, I would never have bought it. Even at $39.99 I find it a bit pricey, but well worth it for the mini figures alone. The speeder itself is nice enough, even with the stickers, and does have some good play features. As mentioned, the mini figures alone (excluding the Assassin Droid) are almost reason enough to buy this sit, especially if you don't feel like shelling out for the Venator or the new Turbo Tank. The parts are ok, but it does contain a lot of technique pieces.

I give this a 8.5/10, losing marks for the Assassin Droid and for all the technique. I would definitely recommend this set.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Psychobod
I'm New !

Re: [REVIEW] 8128 Cad Bane's Speeder

Post by Psychobod » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 am

Umm the set is 49.99 in the USA at Target and at shop@home. You might want to correct the article.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:06 am

Psychobod wrote:Umm the set is 49.99 in the USA at Target and at shop@home. You might want to correct the article.
I bought it in Canada, and I paid $39.99. I did say right up at the top that it sells for $49.99 in the US. What part of the article needs correcting?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 am

Great review as I haven't opened mine yet! FYI-The Commandos aren't clones, so I don't think they should have been given those heads...

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 am

Nice review.
The minifigs are obviously the selling point of this set.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:34 am

hatcher wrote: I bought it in Canada, and I paid $39.99. I did say right up at the top that it sells for $49.99 in the US. What part of the article needs correcting?
his eyesight... :lol:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am

natelite wrote:
hatcher wrote: I bought it in Canada, and I paid $39.99. I did say right up at the top that it sells for $49.99 in the US. What part of the article needs correcting?
his eyesight... :lol:
The truth.

Someone should correct LEGO on making bad sets like this and them pricing them up the wazoo. ncbarrett has got it right on the nose for this set. Only reason for this set is for the minifigures, which I expect will come out in a $15 magnet set, making this set redundant and ridiculous.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 am

legitimatealex wrote: Someone should correct LEGO on making bad sets like this and them pricing them up the wazoo. ncbarrett has got it right on the nose for this set. Only reason for this set is for the minifigures, which I expect will come out in a $15 magnet set, making this set redundant and ridiculous.
well, the senate commando is already in a magnet set, with anakin and ahsoka. so price should stay sticky since you will be spending $15 for a mf (anakin and ahsoka are too plentiful to be worth anything). plus cad bane and the other pirate...well, $30 for $50... still not too bad. slap on special edition and the price will stick for a while.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:08 am

natelite wrote:
legitimatealex wrote: Someone should correct LEGO on making bad sets like this and them pricing them up the wazoo. ncbarrett has got it right on the nose for this set. Only reason for this set is for the minifigures, which I expect will come out in a $15 magnet set, making this set redundant and ridiculous.
well, the senate commando is already in a magnet set, with anakin and ahsoka. so price should stay sticky since you will be spending $15 for a mf (anakin and ahsoka are too plentiful to be worth anything). plus cad bane and the other pirate...well, $30 for $50... still not too bad. slap on special edition and the price will stick for a while.
Yup. Cad bane, aayla secura, and shahan or commando captain will all be in magnetseventually.

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I do like the figures that come in this set, and it gives a nice (less expensive way) of obtaining a Cad Bane Figure - I'm waiting to get some of my rewards points to order this set - although pricey I do think it looks nice and does give a nice set of figures (aside from the Assassin Droid). Thanks for the review!
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Good review. Thanks!

SpaceLego
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SpaceLego » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 pm

I got this set from the price error just like you did. For $40, its reasonable and should have been priced that way in the first place. For $65? No thanks. The speeder is too small for that price but the figures makes the difference. But like the others said, once they're in magnets, this set is not worth it.

smilyremhof
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by smilyremhof » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 am

Does the ship seem like it would stay together if played with, maybe a little roughly? My 4 yo is asking Santa for this all ready.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Well, I think that the bottom section, and the storage compartment would pop off under "rough play", but they would probably stay together enough to be quickly reattached. I can't really say as I don't know the four year old in question. :) It is recommended for ages 8-14.

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Good review, hatcher.

I am still on the fence about this set. My primary SW interest is in minifigs and it's tempting with everything other than the assasasin droid being either (a) cool or (b) only in other overpriced sets (I'm looking at you, Clone Turbo Tank :? ). I'll probably wait for either a sale or the aforementioned magnet set.

smilyremhof
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by smilyremhof » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:46 pm

hatcher wrote:Well, I think that the bottom section, and the storage compartment would pop off under "rough play", but they would probably stay together enough to be quickly reattached. I can't really say as I don't know the four year old in question. :) It is recommended for ages 8-14.
I don't think we have ever listen to the recommended ages, except for when they might have wanted to eat the legos. Thanks for letting me know. We are always "fixing" legos, so two sections falling off wouldn't be so bad.