[REVIEW] 7593 Buzz's Star Command Spaceship

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
44%
Average
44%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 9

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7593 Buzz's Star Command Spaceship

Post by hatcher » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Indexed

NAME: Buzz's Star Command Spaceship
NUMBER: 7593
LINE: Toy Story
# of Pieces: 257
PRICE: $39.99 (CAN)

I literally finished building this set with my daughter a day or two before the Reviewing Contest was announced, and I went back and forth on whether I should review it or not, but finally decided to do so. I was unable to recover the box, as it went out in the recycling.

The box contained two bags, instructions, and the DSS (dreaded sticker sheet). Here's the cover of the instructions book, Disney logo nice and prominent:

The first bag contained pieces to build the mini figures, the small "car" and the first part of the ship.

The second bag finishes off the ship.

Now, the set itself. First up, the mini figures. This set contains two, Buzz Lightyear, and Emperor Zurgg. This is where I have my first complaint with the set. Two figures seems kind of a let down. For the price they are charging, would it have killed them to include a Little Green Man at least? Anyway, the figures. Buzz is a fairly accurate representation of his movie character. Some people have complained about his helmet not being able to close, but that doesn't bother me too much. His wings do not move or retract either, but again, that's fine considering. Emperor Zurgg is very nice, lots of purple.

Buzz's wings can be removed as seen here, and Emperor Zurgg has his gun, which is, well, pretty pathetic looking in my opinion. I know that to make one more like the one he had in the movie would be very hard, but I was not impressed with this one.

Don't turn your back on him Buzz, he's got a "gun". :)

Here is the completed ship. As you can see, there are some purple elements included, that really don't belong, but are exciting as purple pieces are hard to find. You can also see the stickers applied. The Star Command logo on each side is made up of two stickers. The slanty (is that a word?) pattern on the wings is also stickers. The pieces those stickers cover up are 2x4 white tiles, a very nice new element that has been showing up in new sets. The ship is pretty slick looking, and very close in appearance with the "real" one.

Here's the bottom of the ship.

A door on the back opens to reveal the hidden "moon buggy" (Seriously, that's what they call it on the lego website.) While the moon buggy is never seen in the movie, it adds a nice play element to the set so I don't mind it being included here.

The top portion of the back of the ship opens up to reveal the moon buggy. This is a very well designed feature IMHO.

And the moon buggy is out, ready for a ride. Not exactly sure what's in that container, but its probably safer not to open it.

The cockpit opens up to allow you to put Buzz in.

There is enough room to put Buzz in with his wings on. That's a nice touch, but wouldn't Buzz retract them before he gets in?

Buzz out for a Sunday drive.

And that's the end. (Oh, what's that in the background? Could that be my next review? Stay tuned.)

In conclusion, this is a very nice set. I would highly recommend it, especially if you are fan of Toy Story. I would give this set an 8/10. It loses 1 point for the high price, and another point for only having 2 figures in it. Otherwise, its a winner all the way.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW] 7593 Buzz's Star Command Spaceship

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:06 am

This set is better than I would have thought it would be. A lot of interesting pieces in interesting colors. Zurg is pretty nifty himself. Good review.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 pm

I haven't gotten this set yet - too many other sets that I have been wanting. I agree that there are some nice pieces and some great colors in this set, and Zurg is pretty cool too! Thanks for sharing your review!
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:02 pm

I am considering to get this set, too. I need the mini-fig Zurg. However, it is too expensive. $40 CDN MSRP in all of the local store.

Edit: Ooups.....I forgot to say " Thanks for the review". It is very detail and fair.