[REVIEW] 852552 Star Wars Magnet Set

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
38%
Average
63%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 8

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 852552 Star Wars Magnet Set

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Indexed

852552 Star Wars Magnet Set
$14.99
Pieces: Eeeeh, hard to say. Depends on how you count minifigures.
Price Per Piece: Let's say $5 per piece, just counting the minifigures.
Line: Star Wars
LEGO Description:
Star Wars on your fridge!

The battle for the galaxy is waged across your fridge! Boba Fett, Princess Leia and a Royal Guard are real LEGO minifigures with magnets to attach to metal surfaces. Includes Boba Fett, Princess Leia and Royal Guard!
I'd like to point out from that description that Slave Leia is losing in a fight to either of those minifigures.

So onto the review!

Here they are, snugly wrapped in there, safe from the world. This leads me to my first point of the review.

FREAKING A this is so hard to open! Just when you think you can tear it open it turns out to just be one layer of cardboard! RARGH!!!

Here they are, released from their carbon like imprisonment, which is ironic in Boba Fett's case. Possibly Leia's. Definitely not so in the Emperor's Guard's case.

I'm going to break this review up into two parts, the magnet and the minifigures. First the magnets.

This is the magnet. Probably a few of you haven't seen this before because you've never bought a magnet set. I hadn't bought one until a month ago when I bought the Battle Damaged Darth Vader, Snow Trooper and Shadow Trooper combo. The first thing you're going to notice is that the minifigure is DETACHED! Yes, the minifigures are not connected to the magnet! They come right off! They are connected to the stand via those two studs that connect to the back of the minifigures' legs.

Here is the backside of the magnet. Notice that it cannot be connected to other bricks via this side. The other side is available though. Feel free to build from there. However I doubt they will stick to your fridge if you do that :)

That's another point, they ARE fridge magnets! They do stick to your fridge! That's where all mine are. I suggest you do the same. Now onto the minifigures!

Here are the head pieces. The Leia hair is pretty nondescript. Pony tail in the back. The red helmet is pretty awesome. The Boba Fett piece deserves further inspection.

Looks good from the front right? There's no visor built in however, so that means Boba Fett's head is just completely black with no printing. It gets worse however :evil:

The jet pack is attached to the back of the helmet :cry: I was very disappointed to discover this. This seems a bit lazy to me as I had hoped to use the jet pack for other minifigures but this hope was squashed!Still a cool helmet though despite the drawbacks.

The accessories! First off I have to point out that Leia has no accessory. This is a bit of a drawback since this set is nothing but three minifigures! There's also not much here in the special accessories department. Its a simple blaster, a black spear and a red cape. The cape has also been bent by the packaging. I tried flattening it out a bit but it's resilient.

Here they are, the minifigures themselves! Beautiful printing, awesome characters and rare minifigures to boot! Only the Emperor's Guard is of a lower quality plastic. The rest are 100% Danish quality insured.

No backside printing :cry: Apparently this leads to impossible bra physics for Leia. It also leaves Boba Fett's back vulnerable to blaster shots! Oh no!

And here they are, all spruced up. I think Leia should have had a whip or something. A chain! She strangled Jabba the Hutt with one! That sounds about right.

Alright, time to break it down, possible reference to MC Hammer.

Should I get this set? This is really hard to say. Do you want three minifigures and will pay $5 for each of them? If yes, then yes, get this set. If no, then no. You have to look at it a bit closer as well. Boba Fett comes in an $80 set, Slave Leia comes in no set right now and the Emperor's Guard comes in...the Death Star. That's $400! You wont find these figures for any cheaper on Bricklink or other sites.

Are you satisfied with this set? Yes, I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted Boba Fett really badly but I can't fork over $80 for Slave I right now. I can't afford the Death Star at any stretch of the imagination. The Emperor's Guard has a nice red robed body and an awesome headpiece. Don't even get me started on Slave Leia. She's not even in any sets anymore, which is sad because she's a great minifigure to have!

I recommend this set. The minifigures are all rare, all nicely printed and are all valuable. If you don't feel like dropping a huge ton of money for these figures in their sets then this magnet set is a must.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

brickman300
I'm New !

Re: [REVIEW] 852085 Star Wars Magnet Set

Post by brickman300 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:42 pm

How do you put so many pictures on your review cause I can only put 3 pictures in attachments ?
BRICKMAN300

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:58 pm

post them to a picture hosting site.
Then use the img code.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:07 pm

legitimatealex wrote:The jet pack is attached to the back of the helmet :cry: I was very disappointed to discover this. This seems a bit lazy to me as I had hoped to use the jet pack for other minifigures but this hope was squashed!Still a cool helmet though despite the drawbacks.
That's the old-school Boba Fett for ya. The one that comes with the newest Slave I has a newly styled helmet which is independent of the also newly styled jetpack.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 am

brickman300 wrote:How do you put so many pictures on your review cause I can only put 3 pictures in attachments ?
Deep link it. Put your images up on a site (I use Flickr for the moment), find the image's link or location (not the HTML at the top of the page). You can right click and find the option to 'copy image location' or if you're using Firefox you can right click the mouse, go down to 'view page info,' go to 'media' and scroll until you find your picture.Then, in the post, hit the 'Img' button and then put the info you copied from the media page in between the brackets. Hope this helps.

Also Vynsane ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!? Grrr I want Slave I but I just dropped twelve hundred dollars on my dream computer that I'm building...Now I want Slave I even more.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:15 am

legitimatealex wrote:
brickman300 wrote:How do you put so many pictures on your review cause I can only put 3 pictures in attachments ?
This gives me an idea for a topic...
Also Vynsane ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!? Grrr I want Slave I but I just dropped twelve hundred dollars on my dream computer that I'm building...Now I want Slave I even more.
Hey, mang, not my fault you didn't do the research ;) I'll tell ya what, I'll save one for ya on bricklink :twisted:

Seriously, though, the new Boba, the Bossk figure and the Han in carbonite (with molded carbonite block, as opposed to printed flat brick) make this new Slave I a must-have. I don't even collect all that much SW LEGO and I am salivating to get it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 am

I'll have to console myself by having an awesome computer with a top end graphics card and all that jazz. I might disappear from the forums for a week. My computer parts will be shipped, my summer office job that allows me to do no work for a nice chunk per hour will come to end and I'll have a week to play whatever games I want. Life will be good (in two weeks).

Still though I will be crying on the inside for Boba Fett and Bossk. I also wish they would make a real IG 88, not just the crappy assassin droids they copied from his design in one of the Slave I incarnations.

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 pm

vynsane wrote:Seriously, though, the new Boba, the Bossk figure and the Han in carbonite (with molded carbonite block, as opposed to printed flat brick) make this new Slave I a must-have. I don't even collect all that much SW LEGO and I am salivating to get it.
legitimatealex wrote: Still though I will be crying on the inside for Boba Fett and Bossk. I also wish they would make a real IG 88, not just the crappy assassin droids they copied from his design in one of the Slave I incarnations.
What I would find very very funny is when TLG turns all these figures into magnets. Buying the Slave I would be complete waste of money when its about the same as the 6209 version.

Recall of Barriss Offee. When she first came out in swamp speeder, the value was $30. Then it steadily dropped to $20 and stayed there a bit..before the magnets came out. Now they are around $6 each.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 pm

clock4me wrote:What I would find very very funny is when TLG turns all these figures into magnets. Buying the Slave I would be complete waste of money when its about the same as the 6209 version.
you know thats totally going happen too, probably after Christmas, when all the parents shell out the $$ for these outrageously price sets! Probably a set w/ Boba Bosk and Solo and one w/ Cad Bane, Secura and Shahan Alama, but I wonder if they'll release Greivous in a set? That would be worth waiting for! :mrgreen:

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 pm

DarthPaka wrote:
clock4me wrote:What I would find very very funny is when TLG turns all these figures into magnets. Buying the Slave I would be complete waste of money when its about the same as the 6209 version.
you know thats totally going happen too, probably after Christmas, when all the parents shell out the $$ for these outrageously price sets! Probably a set w/ Boba Bosk and Solo and one w/ Cad Bane, Secura and Shahan Alama, but I wonder if they'll release Greivous in a set? That would be worth waiting for! :mrgreen:
Good idea. I doubt grievous will be released in magnets. They never did them on droids and clone commanders like cody, rex and fox.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 am

Just changed the set number 852085 for you as its the "old" magnet set without magnet bases. The new one should be 852552. ;)