Make A Minifigure Suspicion

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
legitimatealex
Count
Count

Make A Minifigure Suspicion

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 am

I'm not one to look for cryptic messages in determining LEGO's plans for future sets, but as of late I've noticed a few people around different sites finding Ninjas in the Make A Minifigure bins at the LEGO stores. I thought it was isolated but I was blessed enough to visit two different LEGO stores this week (in the Chicago land area, those lucky people) and both of their bins featured the Ninja head, and I found a red ninja cloth wrap. One of the post I read on EB said that he was able to make a full ninja with torso as well as half a ninja.

Is this all just coincidence? I check those bins every time I visit the LEGO store and I've never noticed these figure parts before. LEGO usually dumps whatever extra minifigure parts that are available in there (there are a ton of pirate, police, city workers and assorted town figure bodies, none rare). The recent introduction of the Ninja parts peaks my interest because it was such a good line. Is it possible that LEGO is thinking about re-releasing some of these sets as collector items or perhaps this could mark the making of a new Ninja line? Am I reading too much into this?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Make A Minifigure Suspicion

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:03 am

legitimatealex wrote:I'm not one to look for cryptic messages in determining LEGO's plans for future sets, but as of late I've noticed a few people around different sites finding Ninjas in the Make A Minifigure bins at the LEGO stores. I thought it was isolated but I was blessed enough to visit two different LEGO stores this week (in the Chicago land area, those lucky people) and both of their bins featured the Ninja head, and I found a red ninja cloth wrap. One of the post I read on EB said that he was able to make a full ninja with torso as well as half a ninja.

Is this all just coincidence? I check those bins every time I visit the LEGO store and I've never noticed these figure parts before. LEGO usually dumps whatever extra minifigure parts that are available in there (there are a ton of pirate, police, city workers and assorted town figure bodies, none rare). The recent introduction of the Ninja parts peaks my interest because it was such a good line. Is it possible that LEGO is thinking about re-releasing some of these sets as collector items or perhaps this could mark the making of a new Ninja line? Am I reading too much into this?
Regardless, an interesting find! :ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bluemitch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am

Is the ninja piece the same as the collectable figures one? Maybe Lego is trying to reuse parts to save on designing cost.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

No, they're two different bodies. The CMF ninja torso is simply a robe folded over on itself with white relief printing. The ninja torso from the original Ninja/Samurai line was a solid color with a solid black line going diagonally to simulate the fold over. There is also a shuriken stuck halfway in where the hips meet the pants. The head wrap is the same, however, merely a different color, red in this case.

Here's the original ninja, much better than I described it.

Here's the CMF.

Two distinct printings. The first and original one is representative of the one I found. I cannot for the life of me find a good picture of the head I bought though and I am typing this at work so its not here with me. It has the headband and the slanted eyes though. I recognized it immediately from when I was younger and I might have let out a little squeak of excitement (how manly of me).

bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bluemitch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 am

If they did make a ninja line, it would be wicked! Complete with Japense samurai and castles, it will definately surpass the kingdoms line. Maybe the ninja line will replace kingdoms in the future?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:26 am

bluemitch wrote:If they did make a ninja line, it would be wicked! Complete with Japense samurai and castles, it will definately surpass the kingdoms line. Maybe the ninja line will replace kingdoms in the future?
I won't even begin to get my hopes up. :shock:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

Hey, if you're going to dream then you should dream big!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am

bluemitch wrote:If they did make a ninja line, it would be wicked! Complete with Japense samurai and castles, it will definately surpass the kingdoms line. Maybe the ninja line will replace kingdoms in the future?
The original Ninja theme was a subtheme of Castle:

http://brickset.com/search/?theme=Castle&subtheme=Ninja

Seeing as how it's over a decade old, this is a REALLY weird occurrence. I don't know if they found a box somewhere full of old torsos, or if they're testing the waters, but either way it's cool to see that the BaM station is getting infused with more interesting parts.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

bluemitch
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bluemitch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 pm

vynsane wrote:
The original Ninja theme was a subtheme of Castle:

http://brickset.com/search/?theme=Castle&subtheme=Ninja

Seeing as how it's over a decade old, this is a REALLY weird occurrence. I don't know if they found a box somewhere full of old torsos, or if they're testing the waters, but either way it's cool to see that the BaM station is getting infused with more interesting parts.
I never knew Lego had ninja before. Very cool!!!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:47 am

no. the minifigs came from the vintage mf collection series. i can't remember if it was 3 or 4. probably dismantled and sold as pamf parts. :lol:

in the next 3-6mth you'll probably see green wraps and the green forestwoman parts in the tubs. try to contain your excitement over the possibility of a forestman line! :lol:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:27 am

You're crushing my dreams of a future ninja line or re-release :( :arrow: :cry:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:04 am

legitimatealex wrote:You're crushing my dreams of a future ninja line or re-release :( :arrow: :cry:
Maybe not - do they have a LEGO logo on the back of the torso, then they're recycled from VMFC - if not then, maybe the dream's alive...

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:12 pm

I can't find one on mine and I compared it to an old ninja figure I dug up from the basement box of childhood LEGO (that I don't touch) and they're identical to as far as I can tell. Who knows though, maybe it was rubbed off.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:07 pm

I might be wrong about that... I only took out one of the VMFC figures to use in the MOC that was recently posted here. Maybe that was the only one that actually has a LEGO logo on it.

smilyremhof
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by smilyremhof » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:35 am

Maybe with the Lego Universe game having ninjas in it, they will tie something to it?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 am

smilyremhof wrote:Maybe with the Lego Universe game having ninjas in it, they will tie something to it?
That would be my guess, especially since one of the wallpapers you can download is ninjas.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:20 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
smilyremhof wrote:Maybe with the Lego Universe game having ninjas in it, they will tie something to it?
That would be my guess, especially since one of the wallpapers you can download is ninjas.
My heart soars with more and more of these posts. I hope they do a line of minifigures and scenes from LEGO Universe. That would be fantastic.

astronautravi
Peasant
Peasant

Post by astronautravi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:22 am

Hey, at my local LEGO store, I saw the legs, torso, and head but no helmet-thing...

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:44 pm

astronautravi wrote:Hey, at my local LEGO store, I saw the legs, torso, and head but no helmet-thing...
The conspiracy continues!