[REVIEW] 5000030 Kendo Jay Booster Pack

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
80%
Poor
20%

Total votes: 5

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 5000030 Kendo Jay Booster Pack

Post by UnknownUser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Indexed

This will be a (rather short) review on the promotional Kendo Jay Booster Pack. It can be obtained with any $75+ purchase, wherever from S@H or any brand store. I got this on launch day and took pics of it but haven't gotten around to uploading it, until now!

Packaging front. Pretty much what you see here is what you get. It is interesting though that unlike the regular booster packs, it follows a different "format". Yes, it shows what you get but not in the "stylized" art the boosters usually depict. That means none of that typical font art (or whatever you call it) that Ninjago has.

The bag is also different as well. You know those recent promo SW figure polys and those annoying tear flaps on the side? We all know how annoying those are. And guess what? This uses the same bag! :evil:

Nothing special on the back, except the obligatory 1:1 scale shot. Do note though that some of it is made in CHINA though...

Comparison shot to a regular booster pack so you can see the difference.

Then we open the bag....

*RRRIIIIPPPPP*

A bag within a bag?? What is this nonsense?!

The card is holographic though. Which is a big plus as it looks rather nice.

Image Image

The blue ninja himself. I really like the new kendo helmet mold, and the samurai chest armor fits it very well. Though I wish the backs were colored to correspond to the color of each of the ninjas. That would've been really nice. Anyways, I hope this head mold is used in other themes.

Underneath Jay just uses his regular ninja attire from 2011. Do note though that it is of the standard Chinese quality though :mad: . If they can make the booster pack figs of regular quality, then why couldn't they do the same here?!

The new "crown" mold, as they call it. It is a new addition to the already-popular Spinjitsu game, with cards that utilizes it a lot. The lightning pattern (exclusive to this set) is really nice and the mold is really neat. Like the kendo gear I hope this is used elsewhere.

You do get lots of weapons in this set, many of them brick-built. Some (like the pitchfork and the golden spear) are great additions but others (like the really long spear and the cheese-slope staff) look weird.

The overall set.

PROS
-free with $75 purchase
-holographic card = cool
-lots of weapons
-Kendo gear is awesome

CONS
-torso is chinese quality
-rather lackluster
-to get this you have to spend $75 (only $5 less than buying Destiny's Bounty, the other way to obtain the figure)
-almost exactly like this weapons pack

So, is this set (or rather, promotional booster pack) worth the $75?

I'd say go for it, especially if you want the parts. Despite the cons the pros are good enough to make it up. And it is limited edition as well....