ABS Cement?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
backbencher
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

ABS Cement?

Post by backbencher » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am

Is ABS Cement the best glue to permanently affix LEGO & other bricks together? If you have to fill in a gap, would ordinary epoxy do the job, or just use more ABS Cement? Is there a better glue I should try?

Background - I'm trying to build a gun out of LEGO & other bricks. Not a toy gun, not a rubber band gun - a real gun. So the glue I use is kinda important. No, I'm not going to use LEGO for the barrel, and yes, ABS plastic has been used for the parts I'm building. And - yes, it is legal to build your own firearm in the United States.
Last edited by backbencher on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: ABS Cement?

Post by SpaceViking » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

:facepalm:

1) gluing LEGO bricks together is close to sacrilege in some parts of the 'net.

2) If you go that route, you might as well use Kreo or Mega blocks, since bonding them is often the only way those brands stick together long term. :lol:

3) You are right that ABS cement or a solvent will give you a stronger joint. For example, IIRC liquid acetate can bond ABS. A quick search on google landed me here: http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data ... 911911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which would have a more definitive answer. Can't say much for gaps. Part of the modeller's challenge is try not to have any, right?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm

1. Gluing LEGOs is against the law of LEGO.
2. Making a gun out of LEGOs is just weird, and not a good idea.
3. The government is watching this. Don't answer the door if men in suits show up.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm

backbencher
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by backbencher » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 am

SpaceViking wrote::facepalm:

1) gluing LEGO bricks together is close to sacrilege in some parts of the 'net.

2) If you go that route, you might as well use Kreo or Mega blocks, since bonding them is often the only way those brands stick together long term. :lol:

3) You are right that ABS cement or a solvent will give you a stronger joint. For example, IIRC liquid acetate can bond ABS. A quick search on google landed me here: http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data ... 911911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which would have a more definitive answer. Can't say much for gaps. Part of the modeller's challenge is try not to have any, right?
2 - Fully intend to use Kreo, Mega Bloks, and a couple of other brands.

3 - Because the AR receiver has specific locations for holes, we have to center bricks w/holes over those holes exactly, if we want to do this w/out drilling bricks. This may create some unavoidable gaps. Thanks for the link.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Maybe you should build toys with toys, not guns.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 am

Once upon a time, toys were made out of wood. Gun stocks, too. Times change, I guess.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:00 pm

backbencher wrote:Is ABS Cement the best glue to permanently affix LEGO & other bricks together? If you have to fill in a gap, would ordinary epoxy do the job, or just use more ABS Cement? Is there a better glue I should try?

Background - I'm trying to build gun out of LEGO & other bricks. Not a toy gun, not a rubber band gun - a real gun. So the glue I use is kinda important. No, I'm not going to use LEGO for the barrel, and yes, ABS plastic has been used for the parts I'm building. And - yes, it is legal to build your own firearm in the United States.
first - let me say this - making *real* firearm components with Lego is going to put you on Santa Claus' (and the ATF's ) naughty list. :sad: :shock: I would like to take this time to advise you to reconsider this direction. :problem:

if you are trying to make a Colt AR-15 Mag - DIY plans to make them out of steel already exist (steel is preferred over ABS plastic in most gun scenario usage cases)- certain gun rights advocates have already made this information public to support the circumvention of state laws which restrict the size of a firearm's magazine capacity which they feel unfairly restrict gun rights. Laws restricting the manufacturing, possession, sale, transfer, or usage of of high capacity firearm magazine vary by state. The following states have legal restriction on high capacity firearm magazine capacity: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York. If a person lives in any of those more restrictive states then helping circumventing the state laws on magazine capacity could be seen as aiding or abetting the breaking of a state law - depending on court precedence/interpretation of those state law ( you'll need to do a lexis search on the state court dockets/records to figure this one out with any surety). see the following for more details.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Neo on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

backbencher
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by backbencher » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 am

Folks - building firearm receivers at home in the US is LEGAL. Building your own magazines in most states is LEGAL, albeit rather difficult. Effort Glue is now posted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/ef ... tGlue.html

Thanks much for the link, Space Viking.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 am

backbencher wrote:Folks - building firearm receivers at home in the US is LEGAL. Building your own magazines in most states is LEGAL, albeit rather difficult. Effort Glue is now posted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/ef ... tGlue.html

Thanks much for the link, Space Viking.
You're welcome.

backbencher
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by backbencher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Just thought I'd let folks know I've had good results w/ 2 part epoxy. Plumbing cement (PVC & ABS plastic cement), probably just acetone, does work well. However, I need volume to fill the various cracks & crevices between existing gun parts and plastic bricks, and 2-part epoxy answers that need well. The glued portion of my stock has held up to firing - the unglued portions invariably fall off, so more epoxy is needed.