[Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

This is the entries topic for the Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012 Contest. Feel free to comment on other people's entries in this topic too!

Below are the rules for submitting your entries. For full details regarding the contest and prizes, please read the contest announcement topic.

Submit your Entry
  • Upload your images onto our Flickr Group Pool (you can upload as many as you want)
  • Tag your images as "Toysnbricks"
  • You may link your Flickr account here so we can see additional images
  • Post your creation in this topic with up to 2 images and the amount of pieces you have used
  • You may edit your entry as many times as you like until the deadline (April 15)
Toys N Bricks reserves the right to modify or change the rules at anytime.
By accepting the prize, you have read and understood the rules and our Basic Contests & Prizes Rules.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Adkinsd12
I'm New !

Re: [Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Post by Adkinsd12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:03 am

Hello! I'm kinda new to toys n' bricks (As a member, at least! :lol: ). If you are also a meber of Eurobricks or Flickr, you may recognise me as "Dakar A". Without futer ado, I give you my (mini) modular!

Mini modulars street by Dakar A, on Flickr
*Note:The red building is NOT part of the entry!

"Founded in 1910, the blue hotel is the leading hotel service in New Studwell city. Each hotel is built with exactly 3 floors, a standard upheld to the highest points of exceleence. Considered 'one of the best locally-based hotel chains' by the New Studwell Times, this hotel is guaranteed to meet and exceed your expectations!" The chain is owned by a (now) rich french family that all started with one aspiring young frenchman who emigrated to america with a dream. That is why the french flag is flying out front.

Number of peices: 215

It is approximately 9 bricks tall and built to the mini modular standard. If you look closely, you can see two flights of stairs inside the central section of the building. :cool:

Mini modular edit 2 back by Dakar A, on Flickr

The rear veiw. Yes, that one black headlight brick is a door.

Well, I hope I have your vote, and good luck to all the other contestants.

Dakar

Edit 1: Removed 1x3 slopes from roof, reapaced with 1x2 arches. Added cheese slope skylights, and roof greebles. Added back patio, with fountian and micro palm tree for customer relaxation.

Edit 2: Added awnings over rear windows, adjusted rest of building to fit.
Last edited by Adkinsd12 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Nice Blue Hotel. Really like it, especially the fountain in back and the little tree. I also like the white arched front doorway. Very stylish! Good luck!

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Hey all,

Introducing the Micropolis Miniplex! (a.k.a. Mini Movie Theater)
It features 181 pieces.

When the citizens of Micropolis get bored, they can go downtown and catch a movie. On the first floor they can examine all the movie posters displayed. Then, purchase a ticket at the ticket booth. Don't forget to throw your trash away in the silver garbage can on the right. It can be assumed that there is a small concession stand before being directed to the second floor.

The second floor has wide windows to light the external hallway. This is a perfect place to wait for the movie to start. When it's time, they can take their seats. The theater seating is located on this floor.

If you are an employee, you can head up to the third floor. This is where the projection booth is as well as a small access hatch to the roof. They also store the film up here, so there are no windows looking out.

On the roof is the Miniplex's stylish billboard. Looks like the movie they're featuring currently is the smash hit Star Striker. Let's just hope that the movie is not sold out.

Here's a front image of the Miniplex.

Here is the back of the Miniplex. As with real life, they reserve all the flashy stuff for the front.

I hope you'll have a wonderful time at the movies!

Here's the link to the full gallery of images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/both-sides ... 068998244/

Will
Last edited by blackpyre on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 am

nice theater.
What set is the star piece from?
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 pm

ncbarrett wrote:nice theater.
What set is the star piece from?
Thanks,

The Star is from set 9094 Star Striker. It's part of the Racer line. It just came out in 2012. I actually got the piece from a grab bag at my local LEGO store. It was a rather gaudy piece that I never thought at actually use. Shows what I know. ;)

Will

wfremon
I'm New !

Post by wfremon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Everyone!

Built in the style of historic movies houses of the past, this micro-theater is designed to allow moviegoers a night at the shows in comfortable surroundings. Upon entering the theater, ticket booths on either side allow a smooth transition to the concession stand at the back of the theater. Proceed up the staircases on either side of the lobby to enter the main auditorium. The seating resides under an arched ceiling and faces the large screen. The projector booth is located at that back of the auditorium. Exits are in the front of the auditorium on both sides of the screen. Upstairs is the owner's penthouse, furnished with outdoor and indoor seating for entertaining guests and includes a zebra-print rug. A skylight gives an open feeling to the living space. The heating and cooling units are also on the roof.

The building of this theater reflects the design of the current modular lines in that is separates at each floor allowing for interior viewing without disassembly. Pictures of the movie screen, theater interior, lobby and penthouse interior are posted in the Flickr group pool. This was built using 215 bricks/elements and is 9 bricks high. The base is 8 x 8.

This was fun to build and I hope you enjoy it!

Ward

Additional pictures are found at this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20757905@N ... 447294653/

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Here's my entry: the Church on the Corner. 148 pieces and built with a special surprise: push a brick on the front and the inside lights up, illuminating the stained glass windows and the cross in back. Even lights up the entryway to welcome everyone in! Some pictures show 150 pieces, which includes the two small plates holding the button down as the pictures are being taken.

Some highlights for me include a few flowers growing in a garden, a mini tree (I was especially proud of that, for some reason), grates on the sidewalk to prove that we're still in the city, and use of some colors which, at least in my collection, are extremely rare (dark tan?).

This was my first MOC EVER, as an adult. Spent the whole day on it, and even if I make it nowhere in the contest, I had a BLAST. Thanks for putting challenges in front of us like this, Toys N Bricks!

Feel free to PM me with any comments or tips on ways to improve!

You can see additional photos of the Church on the Corner here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75520874@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adkinsd12
I'm New !

Post by Adkinsd12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

agrahmann wrote:
This was my first MOC EVER, as an adult. Spent the whole day on it, and even if I make it nowhere in the contest, I had a BLAST. Thanks for putting challenges in front of us like this, Toys N Bricks!

Feel free to PM me with any comments or tips on ways to improve!
Gret job! I like the clours and shape, great church, and I love the light brick. My only qualm is that it isn't in the minimodular scale. I'm sure you had a great time building it, and that's all that counts! ;-)

Dakar

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:34 pm

agrahmann wrote:Some highlights for me include a few flowers growing in a garden, a mini tree (I was especially proud of that, for some reason), grates on the sidewalk to prove that we're still in the city, and use of some colors which, at least in my collection, are extremely rare (dark tan?).
That is a ridiculously cute tree. And using that as a point of reference I don't think the scale is that far off. I know this building is a bit smaller than some of the mini modulars but since there will be the Town Hall which is bigger than the other modulars, I don't see why it can't go the other way.

Would you mind giving dimensions like the plate it's built on and how tall the building is? For example: 8 x 8 plate and stands roughly 6 bricks tall.

All in all, great first creation and an excellent choice for using a light brick. :D

Will

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Here is my entry: Pizza Castle

A favorite among the locals, it's not pizza if it's not served by a comely wench or a knight in shining armor. The first floor is the main common hall with a large arched entryway. And very fitting are the large pizza crests adorning the front towers. Customers are not the only ones who get some medieval action – the service entrance in the back is a wooden drawbridge that lowers for unloading deliveries.

The second floor is the private dining hall which can be rented out. It features a large stained glass window in the Pizza Castle’s colors of red and yellow. There is a balcony in the front that can be reserved for a romantic dinner for two. As for the rooftop, small parties can enjoy the evening’s fresh air and those who aren’t afraid of heights can go into the completely glassed-in observation room in the middle tower.

8x8 plate footing
14 bricks tall
the sticker is from set 4183 PoTC The Mill

Here's the gallery of more images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/both-sides ... 471654419/

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 am

Adkinsd12 wrote:
My only qualm is that it isn't in the minimodular scale.

Dakar
Hmmm, not sure what I missed. I'd love more insight on how to make it the right scale, if it isn't already. It's built on an 8x8 base and is 10-11 bricks high. The doors and windows, especially, are the same exact scale as the official mini modulars, I think. Might be a modest size for a church, but I was going for it being a remnant of an quianter time that saw the big city being bulit around it. :) Still, there's still time to improve it, if I missed some other scale requirement.

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 am

agrahmann wrote:
Adkinsd12 wrote:

Dakar
Hmmm, not sure what I missed. I'd love more insight on how to make it the right scale, if it isn't already. It's built on an 8x8 base and is 10-11 bricks high. The doors and windows, especially, are the same exact scale as the official mini modulars, I think. Might be a modest size for a church, but I was going for it being a remnant of an quianter time that saw the big city being bulit around it. :) Still, there's still time to improve it, if I missed some other scale requirement.
I don't think there's anything wrong with making a short building in the middle of a tall city street. Your building looks to be one story with an attic-like area in the sloped roof. So the height looks appropriate at 10-11 bricks high. I would only ask whether your first floor is 7 plates high because that seems to be the scale for the mini modulars for a normal floor. But then my Pizza Castle has a vaulted first floor and is 10 plates high.

It's like you said - the city grew up around this old building. It happens in real life so I expect it can happen in a LEGO city too. :-)

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey agrahmann,

Knowing that it's built on an 8x8 plate and stands around 9 pricks high, there is definitely nothing wrong with your scale.

Having examined the scale of the mini modulars it's just like what Silva_shado said. 1 brick translates into 1 plate high. There is of course room to fudge with measuring but that is the standard. I think it's the fact that you didn't go for a full three story build with roof top accents that might be throwing off the perspective. But it works for me having a smaller building in the middle of a city.

Again, I love the light brick incorperated into your design. Very nice work and great first MOC.

Will

Adkinsd12
I'm New !

Post by Adkinsd12 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

agrahmann wrote:
Adkinsd12 wrote:

Dakar
No hard feelings, I hope agrahmann! :-D What was truly throwing me off was the trans-clear brick near the front of the church, with the (excellently) used technic brick beneath it. Based off an image I have of a church like this, my brain was making that the entrance. I completely understand what Sliva Shadow was saying about the city growing around the church. Here in Jacksonville, there is a beautiful old church RIGHT next to the new, multi-million dollar baseball grounds and convention center! My idea for fixing this ( althogh this is purely personal opinion) would be to make the doors more prominent, possibly using a lighter colour of brick.

Brick on!

Dakar

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 pm

agrahmann wrote:Here's my entry: the Church on the Corner. 148 pieces and built with a special surprise: push a brick on the front and the inside lights up, illuminating the stained glass windows and the cross in back. Even lights up the entryway to welcome everyone in!
That's awesome. I'm almost in the same boat as I've just started playing LEGO again as an adult. I plan on entering also, but seeing your entry is making me hesitate. Entries so far are good. Good luck, but I hope I win. :-D

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Adkinsd12 wrote:

No hard feelings, I hope agrahmann! :-D

Dakar
Hard feelings? No way! I LOVE the idea of making the doors more prominent, and I'll also brainstorm about making that technic pin a little less eye-catching, since it's only purpose is functional. Great help, everybody!

dhaas06
I'm New !

Post by dhaas06 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am

My entry is called Main Street Pub. It is a classic street side bar/grill that features two outdoor patios for dining (one on the roof). In the back there are some plants, a rear kitchen door, and a blue dumpster. It is built with 215 pieces.

I did not use any trapping or "illegal" connections. You can see a few highlights of some of the techniques I used as well as other views in my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhaas06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!
Last edited by dhaas06 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adkinsd12
I'm New !

Post by Adkinsd12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

agrahmann wrote:
Hard feelings? No way! I LOVE the idea of making the doors more prominent, and I'll also brainstorm about making that technic pin a little less eye-catching, since it's only purpose is functional. Great help, everybody!
Jax church by Dakar A, on Flickr

This is the church I was talking about. It's been there as long as I remember, and is stunningly beautiful. To find it yourself, go to google maps, and type these into the search box: 30.325924,-81.643511 . Hope this helps agrahmann!

Dakar

iPodwithnomusic
I'm New !

Post by iPodwithnomusic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 pm

My entry of a butcher's shop with 111 pieces