New box sizes?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.

Should TLG reduce LEGO Box Sizes?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 41

cowbug
Knight
Knight

New box sizes?

Post by cowbug » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Noticed two different sized boxes for 8093 tonight, I had not noticed this before, this is old news or is TLG downsizing the boxes? It makes sense to me, lots of empty space in most boxes. Seemed like a waste of money for shipping and materials. I remember there were a few questions about box size in the Lego survey I took a few weeks/months ago. They were the same price on the shelf but had different barcodes and the new, smaller box would not scan at the price checker.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New box sizes?

Post by Ice » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 am

Interesting. The reduction is much more noticeable this time.

Last time they reduced it was sometime in 2008-2009 by approximately 10%. Probably not noticeable, but you can compare sets like LEGO 7660 Naboo Starfighter vs LEGO 7753 Pirate Tank and LEGO 7669 Anakin's Starfighter vs LEGO 8016 Hyena Droid Bomber and see a small difference. Boxes for many other sets also became thinner.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:11 am

Cool.

gunoz
Citizen
Citizen

Post by gunoz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am

If those price stickers are correct notice how K-Mart is charging a penny more for the smaller box? :roll:

super12
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 am

I hope they will standardize the box size... it would be much easier to store and collect when they all have the same size... i mean we can deal with different thickness, but the different in box sizes is a pain!

mackrel
I'm New !

Post by mackrel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 am

I keep my boxes. So a smaller box is always welcomed. I wish more companies would put things in smaller boxes. Less is more!

sstoroe
I'm New !

Post by sstoroe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 am

I noticed your post on storing the boxes. How do you store them. I have about 15 rubbermaid containers for all of the small medium and large ones. I keep the really large ones in lego shipping boxes. 10030 and 10179 etc.

How do store them.
See my list of the top 100+ Lego minifigures
http://www.minifigpriceguide.com/Top100 ... gures.html

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 am

mackrel wrote:I keep my boxes. So a smaller box is always welcomed. I wish more companies would put things in smaller boxes. Less is more!
I agree with this. I also hate how sometimes the bags, manuals and stickers are all sliding around inside b/c there is too much room. The manual gets bent and stickers sometimes get damaged.

I also have been saving the boxes so smaller would be great. And I agree a few standard sizes would be helpful as well.

I also have been keeping boxes. Lately I've been flattening them (a suggestion I got here) by carefully cutting the tape on the unopened end and storing them in the biggest box. Before I would put the smaller boxes in the medium boxes then those in the larger ones but they were taking up a lot of space (and my husband thought I was crazy). We keep most of our sets built, but if we were to disassemble them I'd put the pieces in Ziplocks and maybe retape the original box or store them in plastic bins.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:19 am

This is great news. LEGO was wasting more air space than Doritos. I know they try to present a "better value", but no one is fooled when you lift the box. By wasting less, they can pack more variety on retail shelves, NIB collectors can store more, and spend less on shipping which hopefully can be passed to the consumer.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 am

I am glad they are making them smaller, ridiculous how big some of the boxes are.
atmail35 wrote: ... if we were to disassemble them I'd put the pieces in Ziplocks and maybe retape the original box or store them in plastic bins.
This is precisely what I do.
Bigger sets I put back into boxes, and re-tape.
Smaller sets just put in big storage bin.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:27 am

gunoz wrote:If those price stickers are correct notice how K-Mart is charging a penny more for the smaller box? :roll:
Sorry i should have clarified, this was wal-mart and the two boxes were not stocked next to each other, the big box was a shelf down and over several spots, that is the battle of naboo's price tag below it.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 am

I think that for a while LEGO was hesitant to reduce the box size because people might think that they're getting less for their money. But having two different box sizes of the same set will help them to realize that only the box is changing and not the value of the set.

super12
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 am

and from the picture.. you can see that the box is actually double in thickness... so you wont feel like you are getting 'less'... at least i wont feel that way...

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 am

I welcome the new smaller size for two reason. #1 is pretty easy, more storage space for everyone. I really hate lego bags moving around the box. #2 if they pack the box like the UCS falcon or deathstar, you'll notice if somebody stole the figures.

GoingIncognito
I'm New !

Post by GoingIncognito » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am

I'm all for smaller boxes. Some of the box sizes are ridiculous for what's inside.

super12
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 am

i am rather excited about this news....

less is definitely more in this case... less packaging = more buying... one major problem I have now is how to sneak the huge boxes back home... it just doesnt look good if you try to sneak 5 boxes of clone turbo tanks pass your wife... i still have several boxes of creator houses in my truck....

LegoFlesh
I'm New !

Post by LegoFlesh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

Good stuff! I usually keep my Star Wars sets nib and build everything else. I had my gf pick up Cad Banes Speeder a few months ago for me and I ended up opening the box because it was so freakin light for its size. :(

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am

super12 wrote:and from the picture.. you can see that the box is actually double in thickness... so you wont feel like you are getting 'less'... at least i wont feel that way...
I think thats just the angle of the picture, i believe the thickness and width were the same as the older box, just shorter.

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am

I'm all for the reduction in size, and heck, if it also means that prices go down a little bit to keep people buying, that's fine with me.
super12 wrote:one major problem I have now is how to sneak the huge boxes back home... it just doesnt look good if you try to sneak 5 boxes of clone turbo tanks pass your wife... i still have several boxes of creator houses in my truck....

haha I can definitely relate... only smaller packages doesn't do much for me since she has access to and checks the bank account statement :D .

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am

Honesty in packaging size will breed less dissent in the long run. Stores need the shelf space too, so they can stock more Lego. As for the home page poster's assertion that Echo Base would definitely not sell for $25 in a battle pack size box... Why the heck not? Although I imagine it would fit properly in a new Plo Koon size box, not a battle pack size.