LEGO MBA - replacement for Brickmaster

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

LEGO MBA - replacement for Brickmaster

Post by possum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 am

First, I'm not sure if this was posted before, so my apologies if it's duplicate info or in the wrong forum.

I got an email to take a survey this week for what looked like regular old market research. Turns out they're pretty much laying out the Master Builder Academy program. The survey laid out the details and then went on to ask about price points. Specifically, how much is too expensive, how much is a real bargain, how much is just right, and the last pricing question: Would you pay $100 a year for this in two installments? Here are the details I copied/pasted from the survey:
The LEGO Group is considering the launch of a new offering, called the LEGO Master Builder Academy.

LEGO Master Builder Academy (LEGO MBA) will unlock the creativity in children and allow them to learn - via a series of challenge levels - about the LEGO system of building and how to apply the special techniques that LEGO designers and Master Builders use. As members of LEGO MBA, kids who love building with LEGO will become even better builders, and more creative with LEGO bricks! A one-year subscription to LEGO Master Builder Academy includes:
• 6 LEGO sets, a new set delivered to your home every two months
• More than 1,000 LEGO bricks in total from those sets
• 500 pages of tips, techniques, building instructions and inspiration for more building ideas in exclusive Design books
• Access to exclusive online content, building challenges and activities to inspire, entertain and connect members with real LEGO Master Builders and fellow members.
• Recognition and reward for building achievements via the skill challenges on the website.
• An exclusive, color-coded minifigure for each new level in skill that children reach, to show off their building success!
• A new LEGO Club Magazine with each set.
Imagine children learning about design and creative concepts such as scaling, styling, sideways building, and balance as they enjoy building space craft, cars, robots, and micro-scale models! Being creative has never been more fun!
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO MBA - replacement for Brickmaster

Post by BobaFett2 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 am

Actually, that's a much better deal than Brickmaster, not just part-for-part-you also get tons of building techniques and instructions. That would be useful. Unfortunately for me, I probably wouldn't get it, due to budgeting problems.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Sounds cool, but the proposed price point certainly will make this an exclusive club.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:24 pm

mrfootball wrote:Sounds cool, but the proposed price point certainly will make this an exclusive club.
Yeah, that's unfortunate.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm

For everything they're proposing to offer $100 certainly seems to be a great deal.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:00 pm

$100 does seem a little pricey, but the only quetion I have is will it be avalible worldwide, like in Canada?

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm

For the subscription, will it still have more content and pages compared to the free club magazines ones?
• 500 pages of tips, techniques, building instructions and inspiration for more building ideas in exclusive Design books
minifigure for each new level in skill that children reach, to show off their building success!
I wonder what this book will be like.

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Uno Brick » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Sounds odd...more of a achievement system, with added tinges of the original Brickmaster. ;)
1000+ pieces does sound impressive, but if they're going to make this $100, then I'd rather have the Brickmaster minis for $40. :?

I'd still love to see it when it's released, though, and what kind of changes they'll make, if any. :)
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:20 pm

this is a rather interesting business plan as they are in a way breeding new AFOLs by teaching them how to build rather than having them sit through a dark age and not rake in the cash. Interesting to see if a wave of piece usage innovation comes about.

And who isn't a sucker for a sense of achievement via unique minifigures. If done well, they might even be more popular than those collectable minifigures. Imagine getting a little brick-built trophy with chrome bricks that says stuff like

"Apprentice Builder" (bronze brick)
"Trained Builder" (silver brick)
"Master Builder" (gold brick)
"Certified Master Builder" (sterling silver brick with lego president's signature on it limit to 100,000)

with each challenge saying to use certain bricks or X amount of bricks (ie: program a Mindstorm computer, or build a three storey house)

Furthermore, they are earning 2.5 times.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 am

The price is a bit steep at $100. :?

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Uno Brick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 am

And who isn't a sucker for a sense of achievement via unique minifigures. If done well, they might even be more popular than those collectable minifigures. Imagine getting a little brick-built trophy with chrome bricks that says stuff like

"Apprentice Builder" (bronze brick)
"Trained Builder" (silver brick)
"Master Builder" (gold brick)
"Certified Master Builder" (sterling silver brick with lego president's signature on it limit to 100,000)
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case, even though I'd love to have minifigure trophies with engraved chrome elements! That would indeed be spectacular! :D

I think the minifigures they are referring to are these: (Links to Nannan Z.'s photostream; picture taken at Brickcon) http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5043943318/
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:25 am

It sounds nice and all, I just wish they'd acknowledge the fact that adults use Lego too.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Are they going to come out with something new again next year? I don't think anyone would renew to get the same 500 page book two years in a row. Maybe they will have a renewal program next year that is cheaper and comes with a small add on book of new things since the last edition was published.

strongholds
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by strongholds » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Legobrandon wrote:$100 does seem a little pricey, but the only quetion I have is will it be avalible worldwide, like in Canada?
I hope it comes to Canada. I really like the Brickmaster models but don't feel like spending a premium from ordering at bricklink.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

strongholds wrote:
Legobrandon wrote:$100 does seem a little pricey, but the only quetion I have is will it be avalible worldwide, like in Canada?
I hope it comes to Canada. I really like the Brickmaster models but don't feel like spending a premium from ordering at bricklink.
+1
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am

Agh, I want it but don't have the money. :cry:

Bricksnapper52
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bricksnapper52 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:43 pm

possum wrote:Specifically, how much is too expensive, how much is a real bargain, how much is just right, and the last pricing question: Would you pay $100 a year for this in two installments?
I will for sure sign up but for $100, I would at least like to get a pretty good idea (teaser photos) of what I will be getting. I would be less hesitant at 60 or 70.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 am

I'm sort of interested in this, but at the same time there are some themes I'm just not into. It would be cool if you could choose a 'major' - like, I want to get my LEGO MBA in Space. Of course, tips and tricks can be applied to any theme, I suppose.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:32 pm

$100 is a bit steep. I think $59.95 is still expensive, but a more palatable price point.

Loved the Brickmaster program.