McFarlane Toys getting into the brick building market

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Slickbricks
I'm New !

Re: McFarlane Toys getting into the brick building market

Post by Slickbricks » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I think these more realistic style of bricks could expand the use of Lego models outside of the community. I also play table top wargaming and I could imagine these blocks would be great to make scenery for those games.

Currently the scenery you use for wargaming are resin moulds that you paint but the option of having a flexible model that you can customise to the scenario you are playing sounds great to me.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 am

Slickbricks wrote:I think these more realistic style of bricks could expand the use of Lego models outside of the community. I also play table top wargaming and I could imagine these blocks would be great to make scenery for those games.

Currently the scenery you use for wargaming are resin moulds that you paint but the option of having a flexible model that you can customise to the scenario you are playing sounds great to me.
There is a tabletop wargame that uses regular Lego bricks for scenery and miniatures. It's called Mobile Frame Zero.

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm sure we all hate Nickelback. No justification is required there.

That being said, one thing I like about TnB is the absence of LEGO-snobbery, even though I agree that LEGO is in a class of its own, my kid and I have tons of fun with MB and no higher a rate of frustration in building (as a proxy for quality). Also, the fact that I routinely am able to buy MB shelfwarmers for 70%-75% off is great for me, not so good for MB as a company.

I would say the level of semi-realism (or at least, real-ish camo block colors) in MB CoD sets is more appealing to me than the even higher level of realism attempted in these McF bricks, which I would agree with others, make me think, "May as well just do plastic model/scenery kits." I'm not sure I see a viable niche inbetween people who want to brick build and people who, say, do Warhammer or other miniatures. Is there a "there" there, market-wise?

An interesting possibility would be something like D&D with bricks...an upscaled version of what LEGO attempted with Heroica (which I love, but was a complete market flop). A lot of people play tabletop roleplaying games with stock, uncustomized miniatures out of the box... a realistic type of building brick/minifig system might appeal there. But that's a tiny market that's been in decline for decades. Even megahit videogames can't seem to move MB merch that well, so banking on some throwback RPG would seem like a recipe for complete failure.

So I come down on the side that the McF stuff is not going to be a marketplace success.

Wholesaletoys
I'm New !

Post by Wholesaletoys » Wed May 27, 2015 4:59 am

Yeah, really so realistic wooden brick set and so good.