Best way to get various bricks

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Best way to get various bricks

Post by LegoImagination » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 am

I am new to LEGO. I have bought maybe six or seven sets. I would like to expand my collection. I want to get bricks that are versatile and can be used in many different ways. I like to make my own creations, so I want to get bricks that will let me create my own ideas and not just variations of the set on the box picture.

So my problem is that the sets in store are made mostly to create what's on the box. ( I know they can create more.) And the creative buckets have just square, blockish blocks. Plus the sets don't have the colors I need, or have colors I won't ever use. Mostly I like to make space ships, so green blocks don't look right.

Other than buying individual bricks, does someone have good ideas to get creative blocks in bulk? Obviously money is an object... Just wondering what the best way is to expand my building options?

Thanks

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Best way to get various bricks

Post by hatcher » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

If you are near a city with a Lego store, they have something called the pick a brick wall. You buy a cup (large or small) and stuff it full of whatever parts you want. Selection varies by store.

Or, you can check out the website bricklink.com. On bricklink, you can buy lego from people all over the world. You will find sellers with large selections, and small. You have to pay for shipping though, and some sellers are better than others.

You can also check ebay, but I find the selection is not as good as it once was, and the shipping costs are often crazy.

You sometimes can get lucky at flea markets or yardsales, but that's harder obviously.

Good luck, and welcome to ToysNBricks!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:57 am

There is also www.BrickOwl.com which is a competitor to BrickLink.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:35 am

There is also Pick A Brick online at Shop.lego.com. Depending on part and quantity needed, it some times comes out better than Bricklink. But you have to do the math of the two and compare. There may be VIP points to consider too.

Another way is to join a LUG that does public events and qualifies for LUGBULK program.

My first choice would be the PAB wall at the LEGO Store.

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

As for Bricklink, they only sell individual pieces or the LEGO sets, right? No easy way to buy bulk various pieces?

The brick wall at the LEGO stores are nice. I have bought a couple large cups. The selection is rather limited, but great if you can find pieces you need.

Brick Owl looks interesting. I will have to look deeper into that.

I did not know the LUGs could buy in bulk. Seems I now have a reason to find a local LUG.

Thanks again.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Just be aware, the LUGBulk program is intended to support the greater community - for building displays for the LEGO Store cases or fan conventions. It's not a way to simply increase your brick collection.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:13 am

Yes, I saw the group has to do at least two displays a year. I would love to display my creations. Although I don't get out much, as I have back problems and can't stand or sit too long.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:47 pm

LegoImagination wrote:I am new to LEGO. I have bought maybe six or seven sets. I would like to expand my collection. I want to get bricks that are versatile and can be used in many different ways. I like to make my own creations, so I want to get bricks that will let me create my own ideas and not just variations of the set on the box picture.

So my problem is that the sets in store are made mostly to create what's on the box. ( I know they can create more.) And the creative buckets have just square, blockish blocks. Plus the sets don't have the colors I need, or have colors I won't ever use. Mostly I like to make space ships, so green blocks don't look right.

Other than buying individual bricks, does someone have good ideas to get creative blocks in bulk? Obviously money is an object... Just wondering what the best way is to expand my building options?

Thanks
Green would be the right color for a Klingon Starship!
A Dr Who Tardis is pretty square and blockish.
Everything depends on your imagination.

Of course if you want to make a space shuttle ...white and black is all you need.
Lego make many non blockish parts - but moc scale is the primary factor in the number of bricks you'll need for a build. Microbuilds like what mantisking does - takes only a few parts per moc.

Focusing on your building your Lego collection options...other than buying Lego online and retail -- I also buy used Lego from local used Lego dealers and from Bricklink. If keeping your cost down as low as possible is your primary objective - buying used Lego in bulk is the cheapest route - about 7 dollars per pound of classic brick. Depending on the sources - it may have non-Lego stuff like Knex or Megablok that need to be sorted out for the purist to be satisfied.

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 am

I saw a really nice build of a TARDIS that opened up to the control console. I hope it is made into a official set. Like this one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/80525 or this one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/49504

I looked at ebay bulk by the pound, and they seem to be not the best pieces, and too many colors. It would be nice if they just sold white, or grey, etc.

You are right, green can be great for some ships. But I am not looking to copy a design, but rather create my own unique space ships.

Too bad brickset doesn't sell grab bag bundles, or pre-made bunches of bricks. Craigs list hasn't been the best, but I may just try my luck with a ebay listing if I can find a descent one that isn't over $10 a pound.

And in a few months I will try the Lego stores picka brick wall as that can be good.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:58 am

LegoImagination wrote:I saw a really nice build of a TARDIS that opened up to the control console. I hope it is made into a official set. Like this one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/80525 or this one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/49504

I looked at ebay bulk by the pound, and they seem to be not the best pieces, and too many colors. It would be nice if they just sold white, or grey, etc.

You are right, green can be great for some ships. But I am not looking to copy a design, but rather create my own unique space ships.

Too bad brickset doesn't sell grab bag bundles, or pre-made bunches of bricks. Craigs list hasn't been the best, but I may just try my luck with a ebay listing if I can find a descent one that isn't over $10 a pound.

And in a few months I will try the Lego stores picka brick wall as that can be good.
I like the 2nd Tardis which opens up - its more playable.

but back to the original topic...

cost for bulk depends to the Lego parts mix - Dacta, Train stuff, RC stuff, Technic, Mindstorms, and minifigure in the mix cause the cost to go up.

Another bulk source of used Lego by the pound is shopgoodwill.

Another route might be to ask your local Lego User Group if any of the members would sell you their Legos.

Some Lego can be purchased new in bulk -in one color - directly from Lego (call their customer service (*)or via one of the retail Lego store) - but this route is often more expensive than buying in bulk via Bricklink, Brickowl, or ebay. The bigger the number-lot size of a lego part in Bricklink - the more expensive that part is from that particular Bricklink vendor because there is a cost associated with having the Lego presorted by type, color, and number of parts(!).

Buying unsorted bulk Lego and sorting the Lego yourself - adds value to the Lego - essentially you are trading your time for money that it would cost to sort them. One reason a NIB set cost so much is not just because it is new and in a shiny box with instructions and decals but because the Lego are presorted by type, color, and number of parts - which makes building much easier.

If you don't need to physically own, display. or play with your Lego creation but you have access to a computer system , you can make your Lego creations virtually with a freeware computer program like LDraw or via Lego's new Fusion software package. You can submit your computer generated Lego creations to Lego Ideas from what I understand - if it meets certain criteria then it will become a real Lego set!

(*) I bought Lego this way for a specialty educational Lego parts I needed to make a Lego glider. TLG customer service people are reaally awesome! :-)

(!) This year I bought bulk Lego Technic parts from bricklink to build a +130 inch span dual railroad track Warren Trust Bridge. It was very expensive but it was still cheaper than buying the new Lego Technic parts from Lego education usa - even when I added the international shipping cost.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 am

LegoImagination wrote:Yes, I saw the group has to do at least two displays a year. I would love to display my creations. Although I don't get out much, as I have back problems and can't stand or sit too long.
if you have back problems and cannot stand or sit too long - you'll find that larger Lego creations are more physically demanding.

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:41 am

Yes, LUG probably isn't right for me.

Thanks for the good ideas, and the feedback.